The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:49 am 

Oddly enough, I realized after posting that I was thinking of Night of the Comet! That's what happens when you don't read closely enough. But Night of the Creeps is cool too.

And I'm all for Cronenberg, any time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:51 am 
Site Admin

Bah ... Comet, Creeps ...

I want "Night of the Lepus" :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:45 pm 

Night of the Creeps AND Slither...now there's a double feature! Start the marathon with one, finish with the other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:15 pm 

Throw in Shivers and you have a slug-monster triple feature. I'm not really plugging for Slither though. It is too recent. Shivers on the other hand would make a cool ending for the marathon. Think of the ending of that film - kinda fits doesn't it. I mean, I don't want to give anything away for those who haven't seen it, but the ending of Shivers would be a very cool way to end the marathon....although it might be a little slow paced for a last film. I'm flashing back to THX1138! Wow! That was hard to get through after being awake for most of the night. I don't know....what do others think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:32 am 

carter9000 wrote:
Throw in Shivers and you have a slug-monster triple feature.

Heck yea! I'd love to see the slug-monster triple! I never saw Slither, so if we have to have a film released last year, that would get my vote - but then again, if there's a chance of a slug-monster sub-theme, I'd say it would be even cooler to put it off until it could be fully explored as a theme proper. Along with Slither, Night of the Creeps, add Tremors and Star Trek II (and I'm sure there's many more); there ya go - slugs in all their glory, from giant to teeny! Plus, that way, Slither has a chance to get just a little less recent before screening a marathon.

Mecha74 wrote:
For those who are unfamilar, Fritz the nite Owl was a late night movie host who has had a series of hosting jobs dating all the way back to the 70s. He doesn't do it anymore but those of us who grew up watching him will never forget him.

What a great idea! Count me in that group - as a kid in the 70's, I always stayed up late to check out Fritz, and loved him as much as the movies he played. I'll never forget his disembodied head bouncing back and forth across my TV, like a pong ball!

Here's my .02 on the list going around, started by carter:
1. 12 Monkeys - agreed! Would be a great marathon film - can't believe it hasn't played yet!
2. Shivers - as above - yes
3. Colosus: The Forbin Project - Thumbs up!
4. The Brain That Wouldn’t Die - just saw it at the b-fest. Don't know what the b-fest is? Check it out: http://b-fest.com. Anyway - very schlocky film, but full of some dialogue gems (unintentially funny - the best kind :)). I suspect it would play well to a marathon crowd, but likely get lots of call-backs - fair warning!
5. Night of the Creeps - this one is intentially parodic, I love it! Suspect it'd be a great marathon film! Yes!
6. ID4 - meh. For Hollywood 90's scifi to show off the sound system, how about Strange Days? I don't believe that's ever played, either.
7. Robocop – sure - awesome movie!
8. Danger Diabolik - never seen it, but is it anything like the movie within a movie in CQ? If so, I say, you betcha!
9. Videodrome - Great movie, and I, too, am a Cronenberg fan - but definately not if we're gonna have Shivers. I like variety at the marathon. Otherwise, ya!
10. The Creeping Flesh - Heh - I love this movie, and while it's not as schlocky as The Brain That Wouldn't Die, I suspect it'd have a similar reaction - lots of call-backs. Thats Ok with me, though - just saying, fair warning! :)
11. They Live - put my John Hancock on that petition, baby!
12. Alien 4 - I don't remember this film too well. I could stand to see it again, but it wouldn't rank high on my list
13. 20 Million Miles to Earth - an old classic - a must at every marathon!

I have some suggestions to add to the list:
14. Alphaville - Godard does scifi noir! What could be cooler?

15. Fahrenheit 451 - Truffaut does Bradbury! What could be cooler? (actually, I would have played this film the same year as Equilibrium. In general, I'd prefer Alphaville to this, but if a print of that isn't available, this would be cool, too).

16. Seconds - Rock Hudson does scifi! What could be cooler? I don't think this one has played - has it?

17. The Man Who Fell to Earth - Bowie as an alien! What could be cooler? (yea, yea - I know this will invite replies of 'Bowie as a vampire,' or even 'Bowie as Tesla,' but seriously - this is a movie that just plain SHOULD play a marathon!)

18. The Black Hole - Disney cashes in on post Star Wars scifi craze! What could be cooler? (... he says sarcastically - but seriously, it'd be fun, right?)

19. Puppet Masters - I never saw it, cuz for some reason I got the impression it was the suckxorz - but lately I've been reading good things about it. And hey - it's Hollywood 90's scifi, so there's that sound system thing. Not sure if it would sufficiently show it off, tho - probably no whizzing spaceships and explosions? :)

20. Lastly - my number one request, as always - Logan's Run! I know there's the issue of print availability - but there's got to be someone, SOMEwhere, who owns a print! All we have to do is track that guy down, right? How hard could that be? :)

OK, I know my requests tend toward the "arty" scifi, and that's not everyone's cup o' tea - but I am not requesting that ALL of those show, just putting that stuff out there so that perhaps ONE of them might make it into the programming. The thing is, what I look for most in marathon programming is variety in the schedule, and so I'll recommend a few films that would fit the bill!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:01 pm 

I've heard mixed reviews, and I don't know what kind of release the studio is going to give it, but Southland Tales is due out in April, so it might have potential as a premier, if it's getting a limited release, anyway. I have no idea if the movie's going to be any good, but when did that ever matter? I loved Donnie Darko, and wouldn't mind taking a chance with a new film by the same guy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:41 pm 

Hmmm...out of all Scott's suggestions, I think I would most like to see either Farenheit 451 or Puppet Masters. Farenheit happens to be a classic that I have never seen and it seems relevent to today's culture. I haven't seen Alphaville, but I am guessing it isn't marathon material. Goddard was waaay more avant garde than Trufaut, but you know what. I haven't seen Alphaville, so I am not sure how...."arty" it is.

I'm willing to bet a large percentage of the audience never saw Puppet Masters. I assumed it would suck, so I passed when it first played. Has anyone else on the board seen this and would they recommend it? I'm interested because I have never seen it, I love Donald Sutherland, and it is probably much better than I originally thought.

Black Hole would be....OK, but it is Disney and they don't like for people to see their films in a Theater after their initial run...or at least you would think that - from the way they are so controlling of their film prints. I actually did revisit this film 7 years ago on video and was dissapointed. I loved it as a kid, but was let down as an adult. I'd be up for it on the Big Screen though.

Logan's Run...forget it. There aren't prints unless you find a private collector, but yes, I would LOVE to see this at the marathon. Run RUNNER!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:00 pm 

As long as we are on the giant slug theme, we might as well throw in FOOD OF THE GODS, no?

MEATFETISH wrote:
Though I've seen They Live twice at the theater recently (once at a drive-in setting at the Flashback Weekend in Chicago) but it would obviously be great at a marathon. Same with The Thing which played Chicago in October (people bought tickets for $30 just for that movie and left after).

I don't want to sound like I am beating a Barbaro, but I just want to make sure Bruce is aware of how universally accepted booking THE THING would be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:43 pm 

I really, really, really, really, REALLY wish I had not missed the year that they bookended the marathon with both Things. They started with Hawkes, The Thing and ended with Carpenter's The THing. I actually wouldn't mind a repeat of that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:24 pm 

IamJacksUserID wrote:
As long as we are on the giant slug theme, we might as well throw in FOOD OF THE GODS, no?
Bestest. Moviest. Everest.

Were there giant slugs in there though?
(though apparantly there's a sequel, which I've never seen)

I've never been so terrified of a giant chicken in my entire life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:47 am 

I saw Puppet Masters when it came out on video. I barely remember it now, but I recall it was pretty terrible. Basically a bad ripoff of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and bore very little resemblance to the novel which I had read years before. It was released by Disney's Hollywood Pictures - "if it's the sphinx, it stinks" - if that tells you anything. But, maybe it's time to give it a second chance. I'll leave that one up to our trustworthy programmers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:16 pm 
Site Admin

Throw in ATTACK OF THE GIANT LEECHES and call it a Slugfest!?

Hoping to have some news in a few days......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:16 pm 

I'll make the same requests I've been making on the old board in past years...

12 Monkeys has already been discussed. Metropolis, both the silent classic and the anime remake. And I will add to my request list the fired director cut of Superman II. I enjoyed the first one and I believe a couple of prints of the new version of II were made. I think that would be fun to see on the screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:50 am 

I too would love to see the Donner Superman II, and both versions of Metropolis (open with silent, close with anime?)

I wouldn't mind seeing 12 Monkeys, but would trade it for Donnie Darko.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:17 pm 

Dennis wrote:
I wouldn't mind seeing 12 Monkeys, but would trade it for Donnie Darko.

Why trade? Can't we just play both?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next