The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:35 pm 

Dennis wrote:
I would like to see Idiocracy. My guess is A Scanner Darkly, or perhaps Fountain, though I think it is a long shot. I would be suprised to see Slither. Of course it all comes down to print availability which means Idiocracy is probably the longest shot.

One other 2006 film that might have a shot, Children of Men.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:58 pm 

Dennis wrote:
Dennis wrote:
I would like to see Idiocracy. My guess is A Scanner Darkly, or perhaps Fountain, though I think it is a long shot. I would be suprised to see Slither. Of course it all comes down to print availability which means Idiocracy is probably the longest shot.

CHILDREN OF MEN is neither overlooked nor underappreciated and it came out in December/January, so no. I doubt it will show. However it is definately a candidate down the road. Excellent flick, good marathon fit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:32 pm 

I'm also going to have to put my vote in for "The Thing" and/or "They Live". I will post a more complete list of requests later. I need to think about it for a bit. I usually try to keep it to reasonable possibilites ie - print availability.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:45 am 

i'd be all about dark star. logan's run would be romantic-i watched that on my wedding night, so i always vote for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:42 am 

I know we've all seen it a million times, but I'm sure a lot of folks haven't seen it with a crowd on a big screen. Yes, I'm talking about STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNN!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:14 pm 

Dennis wrote:
Dennis wrote:

I haven't had the chance to see many movies lately, so I'd be quite happy if we got to see A Scanner Darkly, The Fountain, or Children Of Men. Any of those three would be a great addition to the line-up in my book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:26 pm 

Here is my marathon suggestion list. I tried to keep it to films that haven’t played (or haven’t played in a long time) AND films that actually are available. I believe there are prints of all these films. I also tried to make a list that has variety, some recent, some oldies, some schlocky, some action packed, some more cerebral, etc, etc. Without further adieu:

1. 12 Monkeys – This is my number one request. I think I have requested this every year for the past 8 years. They finally played it at the Boston marathon, but I didn’t go last year. Sure there are better Gilliam films, but this is still one of his top films and dare I say underrated.

2. Shivers – Cronenberg’s first film! Not his best, but one of my personal favorites. Slug creatures that invade your body and cause your libido to go wild, c’mon! That’s fun.

3. Colosus: The Forbin Project – This almost played Boston several years ago, but the print fell through. Iit showed here in Los Angeles 2 years ago. Currently there is only a pan:scan version on DVD and film is scope, so you really haven’t seen until you see it on the big screen.

4. The Brain That Wouldn’t Die - I haven’t seen this, so I can’t say for sure that it would play well at the thon, but with THAT title and a tagline of: “Alive…without a body…fed by an unspeakable horror from hell!” it has to be good. I kick myself for missing this at the American Cinemateque 2 years ago.

5. Night of the Creeps – I haven’t seen this either, but I see that Sony has prints available and the trailer on Youtube makes it look….well….very 80’s. This is probably more of a personal addition to my suggestion list, because I am not sure if it is good, or if it would play to the marathon audience.

6. ID4 – Yes, that’s right Independence Day. Why, you ask. Well, because it seems the Drexel always wants to play something to show off the sound system and since I am not a big fan of seeing films that just played at your local Cineplex, I thought this would be more appropriate. Plus, I kinda liked it. I know I am in the minority.

7. Robocop – Shame on Boston for not showing it this year. Their theme is Bots Over Boston AND THEY DON’T PLAY ROBOCOP!

8. Danger Diabolik – OK…not quite sci-fi, but it is a futuristic spy movie from the 60’s. It’s very colorful. It has cool costumes. It’s very groovy, baby. Somehow, it seems to work as a sci-fi marathon film. It stretches things a bit, but I think the crowd would love it.

9. Videodrome – Cronenberg that hasn’t played the marathon. Need I say more.

10. The Creeping Flesh – There are prints available. It’s a hammer classic directed by Freddie Francis (Day of the Triffids, Torture Garden, Tales from the Crypt).

11. They Live – “I came here to chew some bubble gum and kick some ass, and I am all out of bubble gum!” One of the coolest lines ever. Plus it is probably the only Carpenter sci-fi film that hasn’t played at a marathon. This is another of those films that I have requested every year. Maybe this will be the year….

12. Alien 4 – This goes into the “if the Drexel wants to play something for the good sound quality” category. I liked it. Sure there are things about it which don’t work, but I think it’s a good film.

13. 20 Million Miles to Earth – There is a newly restored print available. The last time this Harryhausen classic played at a marathon was in 1990 at sci-fi #4. 17 years….It’s time for a reappearance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:02 am 

Night of the Creeps is a lot of fun, at least as I remember it from several cable airings back in the mid-'80's. Haven't seen it since, but I'd love to see it again at the Marathon. Very cheesy, very '80's movie.

This may be a longshot, but I was thinking of the movie Next as a possible premiere. (Should we have a separate thread for premiere suggestions?) It's based on a Phillip K. Dick story and stars Nicolas Cage, Julianne Moore and Jessica Biel. Originally it was scheduled for the fall but was recently moved up to Apr. 27. Perfect timing for a Marathon premiere. It might totally suck for all I know, but worth considering anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:11 am 

Night of the Creeps is great and long over due for a Marathon showing (and a DVD release)

I did see MGM is finally releasing Night of the Comet on DVD in March, another movie that deserves screen time at a 'thon.

Idiocracy was nowhere near as good as I was hoping it would be but it would get a few laughs as an early morning premier.

I think FEAST would play well to the Sci-fi Crowd although it could also play to the Horror crowd also but it's a Great movie and alot of fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:50 am 

I'm also in the minority that liked ID4.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:00 pm 

ID IV is a great movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:14 pm 

1. 12 Monkeys - Cool film, alittle slow but still cool
2. Shivers - Way to slow until the last 15-20 minutes but lots of great adult content but if we are doing Cronenberg films maybe JASON X will play
3. Colosus: The Forbin Project - Thumbs up
4. The Brain That Wouldn’t Die - thumbs Up
5. Night of the Creeps - If Only, what a great 80's flick
6. ID4 - Fun film well worth a marathon screening
7. Robocop – I would buy that for a dollar
8. Danger Diabolik - never seen it
9. Videodrome - Oh Hell Ya!!! James Woods Rules
10. The Creeping Flesh - Never seen it sounds fun
11. They Live - 2 words John Carpenter Nuff Said
12. Alien 4 - Horrible piece of Sh*t but I need something to sleep threw
13. 20 Million Miles to Earth - thats a long drive and with gas prices the way they are wow I shutter to think about it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:51 pm 

carter9000 wrote:
7. Robocop – Shame on Boston for not showing it this year. Their theme is Bots Over Boston AND THEY DON’T PLAY ROBOCOP!

I am also surprised at the lack of WESTWORLD in Boston's lineup, considering it played well here last year.
There's always room for a late '80s/early '90s violent epic at the 'thon. It would also be fun to see Bluetooth Bauer and the "dumbass" guy from That 70's Show in their youth.
...Actually, those guys looked old when they were young, so I guess not. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:35 pm 

Cool to see suport of ID4. The film seemed to get such a backlash when it came out.

As for Night Of the Creeps. WOW! I'm even more excited to see it now that some people have thrown their support that way. I really just saw that there were prints available, and remembered hearing about the film from waaaay back, and when I saw the trailer on Youtube, I though...yeah, cool, that looks fun to see at a marathon.

Night of the Commet was mentioned. FYI - I own a print of that, so that's definitely available. The print is in pretty good condition. Very few splices, but a green scratch here and there. If I remember the correctly, the color is good...maybe slightly faded. I haven't watched my print in maybe 5 years.

Wow, I am getting excited. The thought of being able to make a 'Thon. The last 24 hour thon I was able to attend was the 2005 Boston Sci-fi Marathon. I just hope work doesn't get in the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:01 am 

I agree with most of Carter's suggestions. Though I've seen They Live twice at the theater recently (once at a drive-in setting at the Flashback Weekend in Chicago) but it would obviously be great at a marathon. Same with The Thing which played Chicago in October (people bought tickets for $30 just for that movie and left after). Same with Night of the Creeps which I don't love but plays better with a marathon audience than at home. 12 Monkeys and Robocop are my favorite suggestions. ID4 does nothing for me but at 4am I could watch it or sleep. Shivers rules!!!! So does Videodrome!!!!!! The Boston marathon looks kind of pathetic this year and I hope we don't pilfer much from them. As for recent movies that we unfortunately seem to get every year, my vote is for Slither. It's a blast and not many people have seen it. Idiocracy was not as good as it should have been and might fall flat-or could go over well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next