The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stop being "offended"
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:04 pm 

I am responding to disturbing comments in other threads, but I wanted this to go here because it's going to go off topic and dive into argumentative territory.

David2012 wrote:
Dennis wrote:
I paint with a broad brush but, to me, many Korean and Japanese horror directors seem to be some messed up individuals.

This is the most offensive thing I've ever read so far on these forums. You're insulting not one but two entire races, just because you didn't like and/or understand the movie? I really do not understand why you feel you have to say that many Korean and Japanese horror directors are messed up individuals. That is totally inappropriate and prejudiced. I get that a lot of Asian horror/sci/action films are very graphic, violent, shocking, etc., but Asians, especially the Japanese, do things on a VERY large scale, and I LOVE that about them. By the way, why did you mention Koreans? Battle Royale is a Japanese film, not Korean. Just throwing that out there

Are you being serious here? How in the world do you interpret "many Korean and Japanese horror directors are messed up individuals" as insulting to "two entire races?" Seriously?

Here's another statement of fact: Many Caucasian American horror directors are messed up individuals. Have I "insulted" an entire race of people there as well?

I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt before when you were offended by irony (I know you still don't understand that's what was going on with the snarkers pro-USA chant a couple years ago, but it was in reference to the irony of the situation and not the endorsement of on screen offensive behavior), however, it is an enormous reach to be "offended" just because a critic mentions an individual's racial ethnicity.

And you didn't enjoy Attack the Block because the main characters were gang members? Wow, I feel bad for you. Character redemption arcs and heroes' journeys have been and will continue to be a prevalent staple in cinematic storytelling. If you didn't get the fact that these hooligan kids learned a lesson from their prior actions and redeemed themselves (especially on the part of Moses), then you simply weren't paying attention.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:54 pm 

Trust me IamJacksUserID, it's not worth the effort

Last edited by Jaws3dfan on Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:14 am 

David2012 wrote:
NOON - ATTACK THE BLOCK
This was the worst film I have ever seen on ANY movie theater screen. Let me explain. The music was great, the aliens looked fantastic and VERY scary, but really, the only thing that I had a problem with was that the "heroes" were GANG MEMBERS! These terrible, evil kids attack an innocent woman at knifepoint, then I'm just supposed to sympathize with them because the woman trails alongside them during an alien invasion? I don't think so! I sat through the whole film infuriated at the criminals for how they treated that poor woman. The woman in the movie is the ONLY PERSON in the entire movie that I cared about. Literally. She had more to fear from the KIDS than she did from the ALIENS!!! I feel that this is a ghetto movie that belongs on BET, not at a sci-fi marathon.

Jack, you didn't even touch on the hypocrisy of David and the "offense" he took while saying something extremely racist in the same post.

Hallbeast wrote:
wow David..."a ghetto movie that belongs on bet"..?...extremely unnecessary comment and very offensive. Think before you type next time.

Thank you Hallbeast for pointing that out. My blood boiled when I read that incredibly racist comment, and then David has the nerve to call out someone for their comment that a lot of Japanese and Korean genre filmmakers are really messed up?!!! Hello pot, I got kettle on the line for you. But the ghetto BET comment is by far the most offensive and racially charged thing I've read on here. Shame on you. And to top it off David obviously has NO CONCEPT of storytelling and character arcs or the concept of redemption. In fact, based on David's review of the film, I get the strong feeling that he just didn't like Attack the Block because it had black protagonists. Perhaps I'm wrong but your complaints with the story can literally be applied to 30% of all movies, books, and stories in general-the redemption theme/narrative is one of the most basic ideas in storytelling throughout all of human history. If you want to call something the worst movie you've ever seen in a theater, then you need a smarter critique. Do you hate Goodfellas, The Sopranos, The Godfather, etc...? The protagonists are all gangsters. I'm far from some politically correct internet cop, but I have to call David out on this one and the racist undertone of his "ghetto/BET" comment.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:19 am 

I didn't say it was racist

Last edited by David2012 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:14 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:34 am 

David,
I am truly sympathetic to whatever kind of personal problems you may be struggling with. And if you want my honest opinion, perhaps you should reconsider your most recent post and keep some of those things exactly what they should be---personal, and no one else's business in a public forum such as this.

When people start being offended by anything and everything, and immediately interpret any kind of negative interaction between anyone of different races as racism is when we start losing our way as a society.

Why did the person have to point out that the directors were Japanese or Korean? Because they are. Why did the victim in ATTACK THE BLOCK have to be white? Well, she didn't "have to" be, but she is. You are allowed to acknowledge how someone is a different race without being a racist, and avoiding talking about race in any situation whatsoever doesn't make you not a racist. But I don't really give a shit about any of that, because I am rarely offended by racism (which is not to say I support it in any way, shape or form). What I am offended by is misinterpretation.

I don't care that you didn't like ATTACK THE BLOCK, but saying that the main characters did not deserve to be "heroes" is a gross misinterpretation of the film. Saying that a post that acknowledges a director's race is being insensitive is a gross misinterpretation of the point that person was making.

And you are correct that I wasn't there during the chant that seemed to rock your world so heavily. So, while technically I can never truly know what those people behind you were actually thinking at the time, my interpretation is based on an educated guess from past experiences. The marathon has a rich history of allowing the audience to giggle at the absurdity of earnest attitudes from the past. In 2006, they showed several episodes of a Batman serial from the 1940's. Some of the narrator's voice-over descriptions of the action included referring to the villains of the story as "shifty-eyed Japs." I laughed hysterically at this, but not because I am a racist prick who hates Asians, but in amazement at how the filmmakers actually thought it was okay to include absurd racist propaganda into works of fiction.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:26 am 

I'm not sensitive in order to annoy anyone.

Last edited by David2012 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:18 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:34 pm 

Are you finished yet, David?

If you're not going to go away like you promised, the least you can do is quit re-editing all your damn posts and changing your signature.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:08 am 

David2012 wrote:
Look, here's the deal. Both of those idiots were racist towards the Japanese. For them to even think that there is anything funny at all about one of the most horrific, terrible, pointless and sad acts in all world history is just disturbing, to say the least. There was nothing funny or amusing about that scene, at all. Both of those people behind me did not CARE that anyone around them may have actually respect the Japanese, so please do not tell me that they didn't mean it when I know that they did.

Pointless?? I think not....The point was very clear, you attacked pearl harbor FOR NO REASON and we nuked your ass. David2012 my friend you seem to always forget that this entire mess was the fault of the Japanese. Had the Japanese left America alone the "most horrific, terrible, pointless and sad acts in all world history" would have never happened.

I hate war and violence (other than in the movies) but if provoked America will defend it self just like any other country.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:58 pm 

Everyone has a right to an opinion. Having said that, don't be surprised if someone that doesn't like yours reacts with their own.