The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:15 am
Posts: 1959
dr.bob wrote:
Not every comment in someone's brain needs to be said.


Where were you when the Dixie Chicks needed you?

ADMIN NOTE: Obvious flame is obvious. Admin has moved you to Kaboom. Carry on ... or not. -VZ

_________________
Jaws3dfan®
Follow me on Twitter


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SNARKY VS NOT SNARKY
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:28 pm
Posts: 616
Location: Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio.
Jaws3dfan wrote:
dr.bob wrote:
Not every comment in someone's brain needs to be said.


Where were you when the Dixie Chicks needed you?

Dixie Chicks?
I was cheering, clapping and proud for the first time since Ann Richards was governor that some of my family is from the Lone Star state.
Natalie Maines forever!!!

_________________
Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SNARKY VS NOT SNARKY
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:15 am
Posts: 1959
pogo wrote:
Jaws3dfan wrote:
dr.bob wrote:
Not every comment in someone's brain needs to be said.


Where were you when the Dixie Chicks needed you?


Dixie Chicks?
I was cheering, clapping and proud for the first time since Ann Richards was governor that some of my family is from the Lone Star state.
Natalie Maines forever!!!


I couldn't care less what she said, I was mad she said something. Most people can't afford concert tickets but they spend their hard earned money anyway just for a chance to escape reality for a couple hours and this woman has the nerve to talk politics SHUT UP AND SING!!

Now if it had been a Megadeth concert or Rage Against the Machine than you expect a certain amount of Political comment because that’s what they sing about, but when you sing bubble gum country songs with no substance, designed purely to entertain than I would expect a fun concert and not a political rant. Now of course if they were to write on each ticket sold "WARNING: This show my contain political Rants that may offend more than 50% of the people in attendance" and that was pointed out to the buyer prior to the sell of the ticket than at that point it's buyer beware.

Circling Back to the original comment "Not every comment in someone's brain needs to be said" and just because you happen to have a microphone in front of your face and a captive audience doesn't give you the right to ruin the evening for the majority of people who paid to see you.

Natalie Maines could have waited until she was doing an interview to talk about her personal political agenda. But that might have hurt record sales or people might have changed the channel.

_________________
Jaws3dfan®
Follow me on Twitter


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SNARKY VS NOT SNARKY
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:55 pm
Posts: 467
Location: Chicago
dr.bob wrote:
Not every comment in someone's brain needs to be said.


Where were you when the Dixie Chicks needed you?[/quote]

Dixie Chicks?
I was cheering, clapping and proud for the first time since Ann Richards was governor that some of my family is from the Lone Star state.
Natalie Maines forever!!![/quote]

I couldn't care less what she said, I was mad she said something. Most people can't afford concert tickets but they spend their hard earned money anyway just for a chance to escape reality for a couple hours and this woman has the nerve to talk politics SHUT UP AND SING!!

Now if it had been a Megadeth concert or Rage Against the Machine than you expect a certain amount of Political comment because that’s what they sing about, but when you sing bubble gum country songs with no substance, designed purely to entertain than I would expect a fun concert and not a political rant. Now of course if they were to write on each ticket sold "WARNING: This show my contain political Rants that may offend more than 50% of the people in attendance" and that was pointed out to the buyer prior to the sell of the ticket than at that point it's buyer beware.

Circling Back to the original comment "Not every comment in someone's brain needs to be said" and just because you happen to have a microphone in front of your face and a captive audience doesn't give you the right to ruin the evening for the majority of people who paid to see you.

Natalie Maines could have waited until she was doing an interview to talk about her personal political agenda. But that might have hurt record sales or people might have changed the channel.[/quote]


Oh oh... Is this where we get into a discussion about why isn't Ted Nugent in jail for the idiocy and treason that spills out of his mouth everyday? No, it's not. Dixie Chicks? Really? Wasn't that like 8 years ago? I think it's time to get this train back on its rails.

_________________
"I came here to chew bubble gum and kick a**. I'm all out of bubble gum."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SNARKY VS NOT SNARKY
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:15 am
Posts: 1959
MEATFETISH wrote:
Oh oh... Is this where we get into a discussion about why isn't Ted Nugent in jail for the idiocy and treason that spills out of his mouth everyday? No, it's not. Dixie Chicks? Really? Wasn't that like 8 years ago? I think it's time to get this train back on its rails.


But he is saying it on his own time, he is not wasting my time (or money) to say it. Now if I went to see ANOTHER band in concert and they started going off about Ted Nugent than I would be mad unless of coarse it was another politically motivated band becasue than I would expect something.

_________________
Jaws3dfan®
Follow me on Twitter


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SNARKY VS NOT SNARKY
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:23 pm
Posts: 527
<peers down the forum list to see "Where Was the Kaboom">

Don't we have a place for this kind of discussion? Would a mod be so kind as move talk of the Nuge, the Dixie Chicks, and other things political down there, and let this conversation return to the topic of snarking/calling back to the screen?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SNARKY VS NOT SNARKY
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:14 pm
Posts: 625
Location: Los Angeles
AEinhorn wrote:
<peers down the forum list to see "Where Was the Kaboom">

Don't we have a place for this kind of discussion? Would a mod be so kind as move talk of the Nuge, the Dixie Chicks, and other things political down there, and let this conversation return to the topic of snarking/calling back to the screen?


I second the motion......

_________________
Long Live the Orson Welles Cinemas


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SNARKY VS NOT SNARKY
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:28 pm
Posts: 616
Location: Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio.
One more comment & then I'll shut up - & third the motion.
Jack. Natalie's comment was made at a concert in London, England. Since she got pretty unanimous cheers from the crowd, I doubt that bad mouthing GB did anything but improve the Brits in attendance concert experience.
And your "Bubble gum" comment was off too. Unless you listen to Bluegrass & associated music?

Okay. I'll shut up. Promise.

_________________
Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SNARKY VS NOT SNARKY
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:55 pm
Posts: 467
Location: Chicago
Jaws3dfan wrote:
MEATFETISH wrote:
Oh oh... Is this where we get into a discussion about why isn't Ted Nugent in jail for the idiocy and treason that spills out of his mouth everyday? No, it's not. Dixie Chicks? Really? Wasn't that like 8 years ago? I think it's time to get this train back on its rails.


But he is saying it on his own time, he is not wasting my time (or money) to say it. Now if I went to see ANOTHER band in concert and they started going off about Ted Nugent than I would be mad unless of coarse it was another politically motivated band becasue than I would expect something.



But the 'Nug has said some pretty insane and treasonous (I think saying elected officials can suck on his machine gun sounds treasonous regardless of political leanings) at his concerts. Glad this was moved. Moving along now...

_________________
"I came here to chew bubble gum and kick a**. I'm all out of bubble gum."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SNARKY VS NOT SNARKY
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:15 am
Posts: 1959
pogo wrote:
One more comment & then I'll shut up - & third the motion.
Jack. Natalie's comment was made at a concert in London, England. Since she got pretty unanimous cheers from the crowd, I doubt that bad mouthing GB did anything but improve the Brits in attendance concert experience.
And your "Bubble gum" comment was off too. Unless you listen to Bluegrass & associated music?

Okay. I'll shut up. Promise.


I don't listen to any country music, it's all shit IMHO but they certainly don't appear to be a political band. And of course people in another country are gonna hate on Americans when ever they can, notice they didn't say that at a concert in the USA, could hurt record sales. Hypocrites.

_________________
Jaws3dfan®
Follow me on Twitter


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SNARKY VS NOT SNARKY
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:15 am
Posts: 1959
MEATFETISH wrote:
Jaws3dfan wrote:
MEATFETISH wrote:
Oh oh... Is this where we get into a discussion about why isn't Ted Nugent in jail for the idiocy and treason that spills out of his mouth everyday? No, it's not. Dixie Chicks? Really? Wasn't that like 8 years ago? I think it's time to get this train back on its rails.


But he is saying it on his own time, he is not wasting my time (or money) to say it. Now if I went to see ANOTHER band in concert and they started going off about Ted Nugent than I would be mad unless of coarse it was another politically motivated band becasue than I would expect something.



But the 'Nug has said some pretty insane and treasonous (I think saying elected officials can suck on his machine gun sounds treasonous regardless of political leanings) at his concerts. Glad this was moved. Moving along now...


Insane? Maybe but treasonous? No. We have Freedom of speech in this country HOWEVER as stated above just because you CAN say something Doesn't mean you should.

OK End of Political for March 2013 But don't even get me Started on that Asshole Professor (and I use the term lightly) in Florida.

_________________
Jaws3dfan®
Follow me on Twitter


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:55 pm
Posts: 467
Location: Chicago
I think it's treasonous to essentially call for assassination of politicians you disagree with. Freedom of speech doesn't give anyone the right to threaten people. I mean the secret service investigated the Ted Nugent and not the Dixie Chicks for a reason. As much as I've hated certain politicians I'd never support people's right to spew violent hate speech towards them. I never wanted Cheney's head on a stick, I'd just hope for a fair and just trial and imprisonment for those found guilty of high crimes, misdemeanors, negligence, and dereliction of duty. How did we get here? Why are we still in the car? See any good sci-fi movies lately?

_________________
"I came here to chew bubble gum and kick a**. I'm all out of bubble gum."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SNARKY VS NOT SNARKY
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:28 pm
Posts: 616
Location: Beautiful Cleveland, Ohio.
Jaws3dfan wrote:
pogo wrote:
One more comment & then I'll shut up - & third the motion.
Jack. Natalie's comment was made at a concert in London, England. Since she got pretty unanimous cheers from the crowd, I doubt that bad mouthing GB did anything but improve the Brits in attendance concert experience.
And your "Bubble gum" comment was off too. Unless you listen to Bluegrass & associated music?

Okay. I'll shut up. Promise.


I don't listen to any country music, it's all shit IMHO but they certainly don't appear to be a political band. And of course people in another country are gonna hate on Americans when ever they can, notice they didn't say that at a concert in the USA, could hurt record sales. Hypocrites.


Jack,
I'll accept your statement of complete lack of knowledge of country music. Dislike most of the current stuff myself although I love much traditional music and bluegrass. And you certainly proved your statement by your demonstrated complete lack of knowledge of the content of thei CHICKS songs. My point was not that it was "Political" but that it wasn't bubble gum (the term you used), either in the content of songs or the three players all being excellent instrumentalists.
And first you attack Natalie for stating her feelings at a concert and then for NOT stating her feelings at a concert.
As it happens neither she nor her bandmates would back down. They supported her as she was attacked, dropped from playlists and attacked by the conservative country media all across the country.
Your "Hypocrite" statement is about as far off as is possible.
Stick to science fiction movies and to things that you know something about.

_________________
Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 12:54 am
Posts: 355
Location: Outskirts of Nowhere
Wow. Someone still cares about the Dixie Chicks. Consider my mind blown.

I'm not a fan of country music in general, but the documentary Dixie Chicks: Shut Up and Sing is actually really fascinating. While I think they had every right to say what they said, I also think they were naive in thinking their American fans would simply accept it without any problem. After all, most country/bluegrass/whatever they are/ fans are, generally, flag-waving rednecks. MOST. So to think that this wouldn't get back to their American fans and that they wouldn't have a problem with it is incredibly naive at best. I mean, who are we kidding here? I grew up with rednecks, I've got rednecks in my family, I know what they're like. No way would they accept any country artist insulting a Republican President. Let's get real. The Dixie Chicks seriously misjudged their audience. They didn't understand who was buying their albums and concert tickets. Now they do.

Ted Nugent, on the other hand, is simply a dangerous lunatic who once had a career as a rock star and has turned his back on everything rock music is about. He's a whack job who needs to be on serious medication before he hurts somebody with his favorite murder stick.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SNARKY VS NOT SNARKY
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:15 am
Posts: 1959
pogo wrote:
Jaws3dfan wrote:
pogo wrote:
Stick to science fiction movies and to things that you know something about.


I know exactly what I am talking about. Just because you have a microphone in front of your face DOES NOT give you right to say whatever you want. I mean what if you took your children to see a kids band liker "The Wiggles" and suddenly on a giant monitor they started showing hard core porn and the band said "WE decided that YOUR children needed to learn about sex" Where do you draw the line? As a consumer you should have a reasonable expectation of what you’re getting into based on the ticket your buying, kids bands should ONLY play kids music and an Entertainment based bands like The Dixie Chix should JUST entertain and leave out any and all political commentary. NOW on that note if The Dixie Chix would have previously released a Politically Motivated song than anyone going to their show should expect some political commentary.

Just imagine on May the 4th we all show up to the SCI-FI Marathon and Bruce says "I have always wanted to show 12 Bette Midler movies back to back so we have replaced all the SCi-FI Movies listed with Bette Midler movies and there are no refunds because we said "titles subject to change" in our advertising." I would imagine that not only would most people be mad but it would also be safe to assume nobody would buy tickets to the next Sci-Fi Marathon because there would be no guarantee that there would actually be any Sci-Fi movies being shown.

So as stated above as consumer you should have a reasonable expectation of what you’re getting into based on the type of ticket that was purchased.

EDIT: Just because I don't like Country music don't assume I know nothing about it, my parents were huge country music fans when I was growing up, I have seen Hank Jr, Alamaba, Ronnie Milsap, Waylen Jennings, Juice Newton, Oakridge Boys, David Allen Coe, and a few more in concert. And as a ticket buyer my parents were VERY aware that "no show Jones" may not show up for his concert and were very happy when he did. Once the Rebel Country scene ended so did Country music, the new generaton of pop/country stars suck. The only Country band worth listening to in 2013 is Burbon Crow.

_________________
Jaws3dfan®
Follow me on Twitter


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group