The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:25 pm 

A very talented group of practical effects designers who worked on classic films like Star Wars, Ghostbusters, Poltergeist 2, Star Trek the motion picture, Aliens, The Abyss, Battle Beyond The Stars, Galaxy Of Terror, Forbidden World, Tremors, Darkman, Terminator 2 and Escape From New York just to name a few, are endeavoring to make their own all practical effects monster film inspired by the likes of John Carpenter's The Thing.

As such they are trying to raise $350,000 dollars for the project that they will then pool with their own finances to create the film.

This task is being spearheaded by special effects and makeup man Alec Gillis, who has worked on allot of the films already listed above as well as films like Cocoon, the 1980s remake of Invaders From Mars, The Monster Squad, Alien Nation and Leviathan. His more recent work includes films like X-men First Class, X-men Origins Wolverine, the alien vs predator films, Skyline and the 2011 Thing prequel.

The film they are trying to make is called Harbinger Down.

What is Harbinger Down?

From the website...

In the spirit of sci-fi/horror classics, Alien and The Thing, Harbinger Down is a tense, claustrophobic full-length creature film that will feature only practical Animatronic and Makeup Effects.

If you're a fan of the art of Animatronics and Makeup FX, you know that this technique is overlooked by the big studios. I'm hoping that you will help us change that by supporting this labor of love. I will write and direct and ADI co-founder Tom Woodruff, Jr. will produce.

Our company, Amalgamated Dynamics, will create the kind of Oscar caliber Creature Effects for which we are known.

The story...

A group of grad students have booked passage on the fishing trawler Harbinger to study the effects of global warming on a pod of Orcas in the Bering Sea. When the ship's crew dredges up a recently thawed piece of old Soviet space wreckage, things get downright deadly. It seems that the Russians experimented with tardigrades, tiny resilient animals able to withstand the extremes of space radiation. The creatures survived, but not without mutation.

Now the crew is exposed to aggressively mutating organisms. And after being locked in ice for 3 decades, the creatures aren't about to give up the warmth of human companionship.

You can pledge as a little as $1 dollar or more if you so choose, and there are also free gifts to be given out to those who pledge $10 dollars or higher. And the more you pledge the more free swag you get and the more lavish the gifts. At the website that I have linked below on the right-hand side of the screen it lists all of the various pledge sizes and what you get for each one.

For more info and how to pledge, go here.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/111 ... re-fx-film

And please watch the vid at the top of the page to get a real idea of what they are trying to do.

They are trying to raise the needed funds within a 30 day period with a deadline.

I'm currently in the middle of trying to save back some cash for G-FEST, but my plan is to donate something before their deadline expires.

Now I know that with the economy being what it is, this is a Hell of a thing to ask. But if nothing else hopefully the forum members here will find the link I have posted fun and informative even if no one decides to pledge.

Enjoy and thanks for your time