The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EXPLAINING LUCY
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:46 am 

First, I should say that I am not experienced in brain science or anything of that nature. These are merely my observations as an experienced movie watcher and deep thinker. On Wednesday, August 13, 2014, I seen Lucy at the Studio Movie Grill. I think it is one of the greatest films I have ever seen. It's an extremely deep, thought provoking, philosophical journey through a woman's experiences as she takes on powers that are beyond anyone else in the entire universe, combined. It is an absolutely jaw dropping, powerful movie that really makes you think about everything so much more clearly with a universal grasp. It is simply overwhelming! I love things that make me really think deep about everything. Although I look at Lucy as one of the greatest films I have ever seen, one must realize that it is merely my opinion and not the truth. Lucy is such an over the top extreme movie that I really don't think that there is a middle ground with it. You either love it or hate it. I don't understand why so many people hate the movie Lucy because it says people only use 10% of their brains. A Science Fiction movie saying something that isn't real? Wow, I've never heard of THAT before! For goodness sake, Lucy is a Science FICTION movie!!!! FICTION!!!, as in "NOT REAL"??? If you accept a movie for what it is on its own terms or in other words, if you accept a movie for what it IS instead of thinking of a movie for how you WANT it to be, you will have a deeper understanding of it and maybe more appreciation for it. It is very important to keep in mind while watching the movie Lucy that it is an alternate reality movie that is not saying that we really do only use 10% of our brains. The movie was saying that IF we really DID only use 10% of our brains, what would that be like? If someone truly does not understand that Lucy was such an over the top plot because it was allowed to be being that it is Science Fiction (keyword: FICTION), then I don't really know what to say to that. I can only imagine that the person does not understand how Science Fiction works and is taking the movie WAYYYY too seriously. To everyone who hates the movie Lucy, stop looking at it like just an Action film. You're losing sight of the fact that the action is merely there to illustrate that Lucy is evolving. Of course she is going to be able to do over the top, wild, crazy things. Lucy herself clearly explains how she is able to do this in the freaking movie. I'm surprised that her explanation seems to fall on so many deaf ears. One way to think of the over the top action scenes in the movie Lucy is like the icing on a cake; The icing is beautiful to look at and very delicious, but the cake underneath the icing is what is the main product. So to elaborate, the action in the movie Lucy is icing and the deep, thoughtful, intelligent dialogue from Lucy and Morgan Freeman's characters are the cake. There is a reason why cake is called "cake" and not "icing and cake", because the icing is not the main attraction. In the same sense, the action scenes in Lucy are not the main attraction. Lucy is not just an Action film, it is a Science Fiction Action film. The reason why Lucy was able to control things other than her entire body and mind is because according to the movie, every person, every place and every thing is connected, just like how the drops of water in an ocean are all connected to each other. This is what Lucy was explaining near the end of the film. Think of it this way:
What if right after you were born, your right arm was hidden from you? Not removed, just hidden. If your brain is not aware of its existence, how would it be able to control it? In the exact same sense, Lucy became fully aware of evey cell she was composed of, and because of that, could control them, doing things like changing her hair color and eyes. She became aware of the elements, time, space, everything. As for Lucy's seemingly cold, emotionless and inhuman behavior, that's because Lucy was becoming something greater than human, transforming into another life form, something that has possibly never existed ever before anywhere in the entire universe. Also keep in mind that when Lucy killed that guy because he couldn't speak English and that other guy on that hospital bed, she was reasonably scared because she knew that she was going to die if she didn't act quickly to get more of the stuff that even though was causing her to evolve, was also killing her. Ironically the very thing that was killing her was also the very thing that could save her from being killed. Her feeble human brain and body simply were not designed to handle such an amazingly far leap into evolution at such a quick pace, so it was shutting down, but if Lucy had reached a far enough leap at evolution, her brain and body would become advanced enough to handle it. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the movie Lucy is perfect. It definitely has its flaws, like when Lucy let the Asian drug dealer live after reading his mind, or when he and his henchman were coming for Lucy in that building and all she had to do is excuse herself to go kill him and his henchman.

Movies that are similar are:
• Akira
• Powder
• Limitless
• The Matrix films
• Resident Evil: Apocalypse
• Bruce Almighty
• Transcendence
• The Lawnmower Man
• The Lawnmower Man 2: Beyond Cyberspace

Also similar are:
• the episode of The Outer Limits titled "The Sixth Finger"
• the episode of Tales from the Darkside titled "The Bitterest Pill"
• the anime series Elfen Lied (whose main character is also named "Lucy")

Post subject: Re: EXPLAINING LUCY
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:10 pm 

As someone who thoroughly enjoyed LUCY, I can say that the premise didn't bother me. And you are totally right about movies like LIMITLESS that has essentially the same premise.

I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth, but if I had to guess, I think what bothered some people was that the premise was flat-out untrue. This is different than having a premise that is just implausible or fantastic. (For example, they can accept IRON MAN as a movie because it's just far fetched that Tony Stark could build a suit like this rather than were he to walk around for half the movie without a heart at all, which would kill you pretty quickly.)

I suppose it's similar to how a friend of mine who vehemently doesn't believe in ghosts can't stand to watch any movie featuring a ghost story (like THE CONJURING or whatnot). He just can't get past the premise.

Of course, I don't recall anyone storming out of watching SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE because it is flat-out impossible to explode a bomb in the San Andreas Fault thereby causing California to fall into the ocean. (The San Andreas Fault is a strike-slip fault, in which the earth moves against each other rather than crushing into each other or pulling apart.)

Post subject: Re: EXPLAINING LUCY
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:44 am 

Thanks for your response. One of my favorite things about the marathons is the discussions that result afterwards, which often go into deeper subject matters. I think that movies are terrific conversation starters, causing people to be informed and to think about various aspects of time, life, space, history, etc.