The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:44 pm 

Are there any SILVER screens in Ohio?

I know a guy who owns 3-D prints of "Treasure of the four crowns" and "Comin' At Ya!" but needs a theatre with silver screen to show them on.

Most movie theatres don't use actual silver screens anymore and silver is needed with StereoVision 3-D to refleck the light creating the 3-D image.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:21 pm 

The Drexel in Bexley was the last theater in Columbus, that I know of, that had a true silver screen. I can't remember if it was original, or installed for a series of 3-D films they showed in the 80's (including 2-3 Three Stooges shorts).

In any case, and in keeping with the general atmosphere of the Drexel theaters during the 80's and 90's, the screen was ruined when a typically neglected roof allowed water to seep through and onto the screen.

The screen was eventually removed, though it's possible people might have salvaged good size pieces of it. God only knows where they may though. I'm pretty sure you could have made two unseamed, decent sized screens (by todays standards) out of the portions that weren't stained.

The old AMC (on the west side of the street) in South Columbus had at least one silver screen that was installed during the mini 3-D resurgence a couple of decades ago. Other theatres may have done the same. I'm not sure you could find a manager today who would even be able to look at what's installed and know the difference. It might come down to finding theaters that have not been fully remodeled over the years, then ask/beg for permission to go in and inspect each of the screens.

There is a clear visual difference between the two types of screens.

-David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:53 pm 

Thanks for your help.

This type of 3-D is in danger of becoming extinct.