The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:38 pm 

With stores like Media Play, Suncoast and That's Entertainment going the way of the dinosaur I was just wondering, are there any places left in Columbus that deal in movie oriented merchandise? Sure you can get DVDs at places like FYE and Best Buy but what about t-shirts, posters, collectibles and other odds and ends? I have heard about a place called Star Base Columbus but was told that it primarily dealt with things Star Trek related and little else. I have never been to the Laughing Ogre but hear that it is mostly gaming and RPGs.

Is there anyplace anywhere that has a nice well rounded mix of things?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:46 pm 

Afraid not. That's why I hit place like the Springfield Flea Market when it is a extravaganza(over 3000 dealers) and Half Price Bookstores. I also head out to Los Angeles about 5 or 6 times a year plus conventions are the only way to get stuff like you are talking about.
I highly recommend Motor City Con in Novi in May. They usually have overstocks and good dealers for low priced cool stuff. Also Cinema Wasteland in Strongsville. Monsterbash in PA is really cool,too. For move posters I recommend Cinevent in May.
Only really good place in Columbus now is Discount Paperback off High Street next to Singing Dog. They usually have all kinds of stuff and the only place in town that carries the Godzilla magazine,G-Fan. If he doesn't have it he can usually order it. But he does have alot of the horror action figures coming out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:50 pm 

The Laughing Ogre is primarily a comic book store that sells some comic book related "stuff" (posters, statuettes, t-shirts, action figures, etc.) They have some gaming stuff, but not a whole lot. (For gaming stuff, go directly behind them to The Soldiery, or go out to the west side to hit The Guardtower).

Discount Paperback is a good bet for a lot of weird misc. stuff. But there really isn't a shop that focuses heavily on sci-fi/horror movie stuff, other than Starbase Columbus. And Starbase is mostly Star Trek, with a decently liberal dose of Star Wars, B5, Battlestar Galactica and Stargate thrown in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:18 pm 
Site Admin

While none of these places may be exactly what you're hoping for, I'd urge everyone to stop by:
The Laughing Ogre, 4258 North High Street, Columbus, 614.267.6473
Monkey's Retreat, 1202 North High Street, Columbus, 614.294.9511
Star Base Columbus, 5541 Westerville Road, Westerville, 61.895.7827

All three have been Marathon supporters from the beginning, buying ads in the programs and
donating prizes. I think each may have something of interest to all of you. Boldly go, see and do.
The Ogre's not laughing at you - he's laughing with you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:32 pm 

Thanks for the info guys, especially you Bruce. 8)

Post subject: SciFi memorabilia
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:07 pm 

The British Papermill at Scarborough Mall in Reynoldsburg has comics, old magazines and action fiqures.