The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Indy 4
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:18 am 

Wanted to see it last night but too many things going on. Hope to see it today or at least by the end of the weekend. Any thoughts?

I had one person I know said he really enjoyed it and would rank the films:

1) Raider's
2) Crystal Skull
3) Last Crusade
4) Temple of Doom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:48 pm 

Saw it. Loved it. Don't care what anyone says about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:51 pm 

Well, I do usually care what other people think about movies. How can you not? Most movies are not better enjoyed in a bubble.

And I, too, enjoyed the hell out of this film.

All I can say is that I recommend you approach the experience with an open mind. Don't expect it to be Raiders, but it's definitely a worthy sequel. And that's one of the things I like the most. It feels like an Indiana Jones movie. It's not a "re-imagining" like so many long delayed franchise reboots.

Yes, there are some goofy moments and a tad too much CGI, but it's not as jarring as I was led to believe from a lot of critics. The strength lies in the master craftsmanship of Spielberg and the performances. Harrison Ford does not phone it in like most of his post Indy stuff, and Shia LeBouf is no question a movie star. (I would go see a Mutt Williams movie if the series were to go in that rumored direction).

Another reason to see this, at least in my theater, is for the amazing trailer for David Fincher's The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Mark my words, this one has Oscar nomination written all over it. At the very least, to make up for the snub of Zodiac.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:26 am 

Well, given that practically every movie that comes out seems to have an automatic backlash against it before it even opens, particularly online, I think it's safe to say that I no longer care when I hear people bitching about something that's better than most audiences deserve. Even walking out of the theater I heard a bunch of people nitpicking (most of whom weren't even born when Raiders was released, and have no idea what they're talking about anyway). I've just reached a point where a bunch of uneducated 19-year-olds aren't going to affect my opinion of any film. That's what I meant by "don't care what anyone says". I think it's great, I had a great time, and I don't care about the whiners and naysayers. I only listen to people who I know have an informed and valid opinion. I would venture that most of the people on this board qualify, and I wasn't trying to say otherwise. All I'm saying is, I loved the hell out of it and no one's going to change my mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:07 pm 

Saw it. Liked it, but did not like it as much as some others. Started great, but I felt like I had to suspend disbelief more than in the other films. The fridge scene early on. Yes, I know Temple had the crazy mine car scene, but this flm seemed to be more unbelievable than the rest. I liked the villian, I loved most of the scenes with Karen Allen. I don't want to say too much more without giving anything away.

Post subject: indy movie rankings
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:54 pm 

I also loved Indy 4!

(1.) The Last Crusade
(2.) Raiders Of The Lost Ark
(3.) The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull

(4.)Temple Of Doom

---> can u guess which one of these i dislike the most?....big gap there huh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:36 pm 

I personally don't understand all the hate for Temple of Doom. I can accept it when it is regarded as the weakest in the series, though I do not share that opinion. But I have heard many complaints from fans of the series who just dismiss it like it's Matrix Revolutions or Exorcist II. That's just not true.

If any of you haters out there haven't seen Temple of Doom in a long time and still have that opinion, I urge you to revisit it.

Hallbeast wrote:
1.) The Last Crusade
(2.) Raiders Of The Lost Ark
(3.) The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull

(4.)Temple Of Doom

---> can u guess which one of these i dislike the most?....big gap there huh?

No offense, my brother, but if you rank Last Crusade over arguably the greatest action movie ever made: you, sir, are looney tunes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:45 am 

I've always had a soft spot for Temple because my folks didn't take me to see Raider's in the theater. Temple was the first of the Indy movies I saw on the Big Screen. I've found as I've gotten older, I find Willie Scott less annoying and Short Round more so. I still love the theme Williams wrote for when the kids start pouring out of the mine. Just thinking about the scene I can hear it in my head.

I actually really like Crusade especially the dynamic between Indy and his Dad. Having lost my Dad in my teens, I kind of live vicariously through their reconciliation.

My list would be:

1) Crusade
2) Raiders
3) Temple
4) Skull

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:16 am 

Saw Raiders Saturday afternoon and I really Liked it, it felt like a Indiana Jones film and Harrison Ford is up there with Sylvester Stallone when proving age doesn't stop an action star from being an action star. I agree I could have done without all the CGI and a few scenes were extremely unbelievable However who cares it was still fun. Spielberg and Lucas pulled out every action film trick in the book but since Spielberg and Lucas helped write that book I found myself being more forgiving

1) Raiders
2) Crusade
3) Skull/Temple

I put Temple and Skull on the same level, no losers in this series.