The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:57 pm 

I am into METAL some classic some new:

Classic:
Alice Cooper, Kiss, AC/DC, B.O.C. Motley Crue, Poison, Cinderella etc.

New:
Wednesday 13, Rob Zombie, H.I.M., 69 Eyes, Hammerfall, Blind Guardian, Edguy, Iced Earth, Demons and Wizards.

The new Metal coming out of Europe is great, unfortunantly America Metal is still very sick, not dead but certainly not doing well at all. I hope Amercan Metal gets well soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:01 am 

Whatever catches my ear. Never been a big metal fan, or hiphop, though there are occaional exceptions to that. I've found myself oddly enjoying Black Eyed Peas, particularly the Pump It single, which is cleverly done.

I don't necessarily favor particular artists, though I still have a soft spot for the B-52s, the Go-Go's, Bowie, Springstein, The Eagles, Bob Seger, Buddy Holly, U2, Danny Elfman, John Williams, Weird Al, Glenn Miller, B.B. King and Ray Charles. Nothing very edgy there. :)

In general I like a fat horn section, so things like some of the bigger budgeted Chicago blues groups and the Big Bands of the 30s and 40s are often what I listen to on long road trips. I enjoyed some of the late 90s groups reinterpretation of the sound. Folks like Royal Crown Revue, Cherry Poppin' Daddies and Squirrel Nut Zippers.

I also like a good story, which again doesn't always have a given artist. Something like the Dixie Chicks' "Goodbye Earl," or Julie Brown's "The Homecoming Queen's Got A Gun." Though in our post-Columbine world would probably never see the light of day.

Which leads to my other genre I love. Paradoy and comedy songs. I drive my mother-in-law nuts because she is always wanting to play syrupy Christams fare, and I sneak in some like Green Chri$tma$, or Christmas at Ground Zero, which has to be the cheeriest nuclear war song ever.