The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ABC's Lost
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:20 am 

Anyone else here watch this and want to comment on the 05/03 episode. In case folks TIVO'd it but didn't watch yet, I don't want to say anything more than I was stunned at the end and my wife is talking about not watching it any more.

I think she thinks Joss Whedon is secretly writing episodes. Not for the dialog, but the knife twisting. She has never been able to enjoy Buffy since the Normal Again episode. She remains convinced that the mental hospital was reality and that Buffyverse is the delusion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:57 am 

I had it on, but had my back to the TV (playing on the computer). At the end, I spun around and said, "Wait, what happened?" I still don't know. I had the VCR taping, so I'll have to watch again tonight.

Post subject: Lost...
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:41 pm 

I absolutely loved last night's "Lost". After "Battlestar Galactica" I still think "Lost" is the best series on television right now.

Dennis, it's funny that you mention Whedon, because just like with "Lost" he's never pulled his punches with the darker aspects of his shows (i.e. deaths, etc.).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:39 am 

I have to say I had reservations about BSG at first, but I have been really impressed with it and can't wait for the next slate of new episodes. DS9 was far and away my favorite of the Trek series, and as Moore brings more of the old DS9 writing staff on board you get to see some really great charatcer driven episodes, like Act of Contrition where Starbuck finally tells Adama the truth about Zak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:25 pm 

I think enough time has passed that we can talk about it now but just in case:

SPOILER ALERT!

Okay, I don't know why your wife would not want to watch it anymore. Anna Lucia was annoying and it wasn't clear that the blond chick whose name escapes me at the moment is dead. This week's description mentions something about Eko wanting to "embrace the healing powers of the island" or something like that so we'll see. I'm very curious to see Michael's motivations.
Also, they haven't resolved the blond chick's back story from Hurley's flashback. There has to be something to that.
One could argue that the didn't resolve Ana Lucia's back story either, but I think it was all a set up to Jack's father being revealed as the leader of The Others. (subtle hints to this in last week's dialogue).

Anyway, what do you expect? This is Lost we're talking about. Sometimes I don't think even the writers have a clear idea of what's going on. Some theories suggest that the writer's get their ideas from fansites. that wouldn't surprise me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:35 pm 

I don't think the Mrs. was bothered by Ana-Lucia's death. I actually thought she was an interesting character, but I know a lot of other folks didn't like her.

No, the Mrs. was upset about Libby's death. Not so much that we liked Libby, but the effect her death might have on Hurley. Clearly women on the island should seriously consider not even think about sex outside of marriage.

I assume at some point Hurley will recall where he knew Libby or more about her will come out somehow and we may feel better about him not having her around, but it was nice to see him happy.

I enjoyed this week's episode with Locke and Eko, probably my two favorite folks on the cast. Not sure what Locke was thinking when he chose to put his map in the tube.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:27 pm 

Friggin' awesome episode last night. To quote Al Pacino:
"Just when I thought I was out..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:50 am 

Haven't seen it yet. I like Locke's episode last week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:29 pm 

Saw it early in the week and finally had time to talk about it. Had a nice Twilight Zone feel to it in spots, especially at the end. I don't know if this was always the producer/writer's intention or not. They had interviews during the break between the first part of the season and the second part that they would have an episode that would make fans be more interested in the new folks they introduced. I porbably should check out their podcast but haven't had time to listen to it. They may sya there.

This weeks episode was pretty good. Women fighting in the rain is hard to beat. Looking forward to next week's episode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:59 pm 

I'm pretty disappointed with the whole Juliette thing - I guess it was obvious, but still, seems kind of tired at this point.

Still, overall that's a minor complaint, and I've been really happy with LOST since it returned from the midseason break. Definitely enjoying this format MUCH better than the scattered reruns of usual shows, and WAY more than the ridiculously long break HEROES has been on. I'd still rather see this and other serialized dramas ALL switch over to the 24 format - staggering some to run the first half of the traditional season and others to run the 2nd half of the season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:47 am 

shroud wrote:
I'd still rather see this and other serialized dramas ALL switch over to the 24 format - staggering some to run the first half of the traditional season and others to run the 2nd half of the season.

Amen. Especially with Tivo it is easy to keep up with. The old model was fine when folks would miss an episode and not be able to program their VCR to catch it.

As for Lost in general, I'm with you, it has been great since the break.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:34 pm 

Re: Season finale:

OMG!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:30 am 

Loved Hurley.

Loved Sayid's mad foot skillz.

May wait a few days more for folks that might have TiVo'd and not watched yet before I say anything else.

I still think that something about the EM properties of the island tinkers with space/time. Not that I am alone in that theory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:21 pm 

The season finale was absolutely awesome. Definitely the best finale of the season out of the shows I watch.

Loved all of Charlie's scenes, loved the encounter on the beach, Sawyer & Tom.. and OMG nice switchup there with the flashback!

But seriously, MAN Jack has one F'D UP STUPID LOOKING beard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 2:42 pm 

MINOR SPOILERS FOLLOW

Agree with you on the beard. The two most intriging lines to me were:

"Why would I go to the funeral?"

and...

"You go up there and get my father and if I'm drunker than he is, you can fire me!"

...also, after Ben's flashback episode and the mysterious apparently supernatural Jacob I am beginning to wonder if it is more than a coincidence that every single castaway has major issues with their fathers.
Just a thought.