The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: G.I. JOE (No Spoilers)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:52 pm 

If you like explosions, fast paced action and mayhem than you will love this movie. It's a combination of Transformers, Star Wars, Every James Bond Movie and The Octagon (seriously)!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:51 pm 

Thank you for not "spoiling" the intricately woven plot. :)
This is an odd movie. I don't know why I liked it because by all accounts I shouldn't have. I was waiting almost the entire time for it to suck and it never quite did. Comparing it to a Roger Moore era James Bond I think would be fair.
I hated Transformers about 10 minutes in (I only had to see it because I have a 10 year old and a 7 year old). I was expecting more of the same here. I can't pinpoint exactly why I enjoyed myself but I did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:16 am 

Did it have the same, to quote Slate, "wonderfully absurd escapes?" http://www.slate.com/id/2222083/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:40 am 

I have to agree. I loved the cartoon as a kid, but when I heard it was going live action I thought it was going to suck ... yet I still had to see it. After seeing the movie ... I LOVED IT!!! The acting wasn't fantastic, the story wasn't complex, but it was nearly 2 hours of action, gun fights and explosions.

Dennis wrote:
Did it have the same, to quote Slate, "wonderfully absurd escapes?" http://www.slate.com/id/2222083/

No, that's one of the things I loved about it. People died in this movie, Joes and Cobra alike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:33 pm 

I HATE HATE HATED this movie. I skipped Transformers 2 because I knew I'd hate that as much as the first if not more. For some reason I just wanted to see any movie and I took a chance with this one that I regret. I will never get those 2 hours of my life back. Everyone is right: it is NON-STOP action and explosions and SFX but that doesn't make it in any way fun. You need to take a brake and catch your breath to make a movie even remotely interesting. 2 hours of explosions is as boring and monotonous as the longest Merchant-Ivory film. The tone needs to vary during the course of a movie or else it's all just white noise. I'm surprised to see some many supporters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:06 am 

Heh - count me in the group of old, jaded, cynical, film-elitists, right there with Meatfetish! :)

Just kidding. But seriously - didn't care for this film at all. Perhaps it was because I never watched the cartoon? It was a little after my time (I was already in high school when this was on TV). I only went to see it cuz a friend of mine, who is a few years younger and was a big Joe fan when he was a kid in the 80's, wanted to see it. So, none of it rang any bells for me - I didn't know who any of the characters were - and frankly, I just didn't care.

What's ironic to me, and the reason behind my opening sentence, is that I'm often telling many of my friends they need to loosen up a bit (you know who you are! :) ) - that not ALL movies need to be intellectually stimulating to be interesting. I'm usually the one among my friends saying, "sure, it was dumb, but who cares? It was still entertaining!"

This time.... no, I'm afraid I have to agree with my jaded, cynical, film-elitist friends. GI Joe was the suck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:20 am 

scottcoz wrote:
didn't care for this film at all. Perhaps it was because I never watched the cartoon?

Could be. I'm a child of the '80s and that's probably one of the bigger reasons why I liked the movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:43 am 

The funny thing is, I have no argument with anyone who hated this movie. Like I said before, I have no idea why I didn't hate it because by all accounts I should have.

On the other hand, what I saw last night makes it even harder to understand. I totally get how one could find 90 minutes of "action" and "explosions" boring. Especially when you look at something as brilliant and deeply emotionally satisfying as Tarantino's latest masterwork Inglourious Basterds.

This film is 95% dialogue, about 90% of which is in a foreign language and it is absolutely riveting.