The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:03 am 

Zombie plots new mayhem for "Halloween" By Borys Kit
Mon Jun 5, 1:10 AM ET

Rocker-turned-filmmaker Rob Zombie is resurrecting Michael Myers, one of the big screen's favorite horror villains.

Zombie will write and direct a new "Halloween" movie, serving up what is being called as a brand-new vision for the long-running horror series. He will also serve as a producer and a music supervisor on the film.

An October 2007 release is being planned. Disney's Miramax Films will co-finance the development with former Miramax chiefs Bob and Harvey Weinstein's Dimension Films.

The movie will not be a sequel or a straight-ahead remake of the 1978 original -- which helped director John Carpenter cement his name in the horror business -- but a reimagining that will infuse new blood into the Myers story.

"The look and the feel is going to be completely different," Zombie said in an interview. "'Halloween' started off as a very terrifying concept, a terrifying movie. But over the years, Michael Myers has become a friendly Halloween mask. When it came to the point where you could buy a Michael Myers doll that was cute-looking and press its stomach and play the 'Halloween' theme, you knew the scare factor was gone.

"But I think the story and the situation is scary. All it needed was someone to come in and to take a totally different approach to make it scary again. To me, that's the challenge and that's the fun."

Needless to say, the movie will not pay heed to the numerous sequels. The last Halloween film, "Halloween: H20," came out in 1998.

"Everything that has come before does not figure into this one," Zombie said. "That series is done."

And while Zombie aims to keep the scares and the character more real, the mask will remain.

"That's an iconic image that can't go away," he said.

Zombie wrote and directed "House of 1000 Corpses" and last year's "The Devil's Rejects," which proved to be extremely profitable theatrically and on DVD. A lot of horror movies have been thrown his way, but he wanted to be choosy when it came to his third film.

Zombie is a fan of the original and said he sought Carpenter's blessing.

"He said, 'That's awesome, go for it,"' Zombie said. "He was very supportive, which I thought was very important. I feel like 'Halloween' is his baby, and I wanted to be very respectful."

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

This could be the best HALLOWEEN since the original. Notice they credit H2O as the last Halloween sequel, reporters suck!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:44 am 

Don't screw it up, Rob. The last thing we need is another lousy Halloween movie.

Post subject: A happy Zomboween
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:24 pm 

Well he got permission from the origanal writer himself and was told to "Go to town", can not get much better than that. Plus it helps to actually do a movie you like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:12 pm 

Well, Carpenter approved the lousy Fog remake, so I get the impression that he'd be happy with anything that brings a check his way...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:25 pm 

Also Check out Rob Zombie's HALLOWEEN Myspace page for updates on the new film.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:37 am 

Halloween in USA in USA TODAY

IT'S NOT MUCH NEW INFO BUT HERE YA GO ----

'Halloween' returning in Zombie-vision format
Michael Myers isn't just a murderer, he's misunderstood.

So says Rob Zombie, who is bringing Michael back to the movies in Halloween, opening in August.

"It starts off when he's a kid," says Zombie, director of The Devil's Rejects and House of 1,000 Corpses. "Act 2 is him in an asylum."

Zombie's films are notorious for their twisted gore, but that's not what drives people to movies, he says. "They have to care about the characters. Michael Myers in the past is usually a stunt man wearing that mask. He's a fully formed character in this."

And that famous mask — in the original, it was a Capt. Kirk Star Trek mask painted white — gets a back story, Zombie says.

Gore may not be what sells a movie, but this Halloween will have Zombie's bloody fingerprints on it. "It's a very hard R — as extreme as it can be. The violence is brutal and it's real."

Jamie Lee Curtis played a babysitter stalked by Myers in the 1978 original. In this version, Scout Taylor-Compton plays the role. Zombie's wife, Sheri Moon, plays Michael's mom.

"Michael Myers is a character that for the last 28 years has degenerated into a popular Halloween character," Zombie says. "People will be shocked he's back to being a hard-core terrifying character."

—Patty Rhule

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:59 pm 

Quote:
And that famous mask — in the original, it was a Capt. Kirk Star Trek mask painted white — gets a back story, Zombie says.

Halloween III?