The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Superman Returns
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:07 am 

Well, the movie has arrived.

I thought it was a great movie. I'm not sure if I liked it though.

It was wonderfully made, and well acted. I just don't know if it fits into my vision of Superman.

Kind of like Godzilla, except good. (The US Godzilla movie wasn't terrible, it just wasn't Godzilla. Superman Returns was excellent, but I'm not sure if it was Superman.)

I'll go see it again, especially since the Arena Grand has a deal for people attending Origins, but I'm still trying to digest how I feel about it.

----
Read my thoughts on superheroes:
http://underneath-the-mask.blogspot.com

Post subject: Well
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:41 pm 

I saw the movie last night and I loved it. I'm only marginally educated in the Superman mythos (which probably makes me part of the target audience), but from what I've always thought about the Man of Steel I think the movie delivered.

I think the main problem with movies adapted from comics is the fanbase. Each fan boy has this idea of what the character/characters is, and there's really no way for filmmakers to meet expectations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:22 pm 

I saw it last night and liked it. I liked the story. I liked the cast except for Kevin Spacey as Lex. He was ok, but would not have been my first choice. I loved seeing Noel Neil and Jack Larson. I thought this Clark and Lois were as good as Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidder. I liked hearing the old music again. Looking forward to the sequel(s).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:47 pm 

Seems like there are TWO SUPERMAN RETURNS topics on the site. Here's my take from the "cantina" portion of the site:

http://www.scifimarathon.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=74

I guess from this thread, my only comments would be that it would be interesting to hear what people who have NOT seen the 1978 film think about it.

For those of us familiar with that version (especially those of us who Grew Up With It!), it's doubly difficult to put it out of our minds. First, our memories are strong of Christopher Reeve, John Williams' music, the whole Marlon Brando thing etc.. Secondly, SUPERMAN RETURNS keeps reminding us of that prior version by refrencing many things from it, re-using the Main Theme music, Brando's return literally as a Ghost (!) and casting an actor with an uncanny similarity to Reeve etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:46 pm 

Me and my 12 year old Daughter saw SUPERMAN RETURNS at the IMAX screen with scenes in 3-D and we both loved it. She had never seen a Superman movie before so she was educated in the history of Superman and I was re-educated for the first 30 minutes than the movie hits it's stride from there.

Perfect for first time Superman movie goers and for long time Superman movie fans. And just like LA Connection stated I absolutley loved that they did the open credits and Soundtrack just like the Christopher Reeves movies, also there were a few lines here and there that were lifted from the original movie. And even the ending of the film reminded me of the original.

Brandon Routh actually looks and sounds like Christopher Reeves. Bryan Singer really did his homework and he may be the next George Lucas, Steven Speilberg or maybe even Joss Whedon but we will have to wait and see on that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:28 pm 

Interesting that the reviews, including mine, keep referencing the Christopher Reeve versions. I actually have no problem accepting this Clark and Lois since, for me, the "real" Clark and Lois were George Reeves and Noel Neil. (Even if I can't spell her name.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:59 pm 

Well, I'd say most reference Reeves and Kidder for a couple of reasons.

First, the 50's TV series doesn't re-run as much as it did for many of us when we were younger.

Second, and more to the point, Bryan Singer and the writers of RETURNS make it a point to reference the '78 film version (and to a lesser extent, SUPERMAN II). The Music, the outtakes of Brando and even some of the plot threads and in-joke references. Many, in fact, have referred to this as SUPERMAN 2 1/2 (ignoring the original series' III and IV).

As I noted, by explicitly calling attention to the earlier films, it presents SUPERMAN RETURNS with some conundrums because Routh and Bosworth simply play younger than Reeve and Kidder and this film supposedly takes place sometime between 5 and 8 years AFTER SUPERMAN II (And by then, Kidder was 32 years old. Which means, in effect Bosworth is a 23 year old playing someone who conceivably be 37 years old). It's not a big big deal to me (and neither are the costume changes per se), but Singer and his team have brought this on themselves.

As I noted, I think it would be a great declaration of independence ( :wink: ) if they dropped ALL references to the earlier movies for SUPERMAN RETURNS PART DEUX.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:32 pm 

The age difference thing didn't bother me. I accepted it as a comic book style convention. If the characters in the comics aged naturally in real time years, they'd all be dead now. Anyway, what bothered me about the references to the earlier films is that as many people have said, they are inconsistent at best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:44 am 

I finally managed to see this. I took a looong lunch at work yesterday. :)

As for the costume, I agree with Fedora (over on the other thread) about the color changes. I don't much like the darker red. I have the same reaction when the tinker with the Ohio State football uniforms. The S on the belt didn't bother me, and honsetly I might not have noticed it if he hadn't said anything about it.

I enjoyed the nods to the older films even the direct pull quotes. I was a bit disappointed with the early scenes with Eva Marie Saint, and I agree I would have liked a bit more of the 5 year abscence. Maybe the sequel will do that. :)

I was underimpressed with Parker Posey, who didn't really seem to be there for much more than window dressing or to act os Luthor's concience. I thought Spacey was a very solid Luthor and I'll continue my heresy that I like him better than Hackman.

All in all I was quite happy once I got over the age of Lois and Clark. The ending has me worried about some potentially awful spin offs, but we'll have to see.

One last comment, Singer should have tired harder to get Williams. The one thing that drove me nuts was we would get Williams music and then suddenly it morphed into something entirely different. It was as though Singer said, any time something momentous happens we'll go to Williams but the rest of the movie you can listen to this other music. It's like have Leonarado paint Jesus in the last supper but then have a group of Middle school art students paint the rest. It wasn't that bad, butthe translations were jarring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:27 am 

One other comment, I loved the flight sequences, especially take offs and landings. Seemed very natural.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:22 pm 

The biggest question right now is whether there indeed will be a sequel. The film fell almost 60% at the Box Office last weekend and almost another 50% this one (4th place behind the likes of LITTLE MAN! :o ).

Normally, you'd say that a film that will still probably reach the vaunted $200M mark would be a sure bet for a sequel, but the budget figures that have been tossed around go from anywhere from $225M to $300M (not to mention marketing costs LESS the cut theaters, actors and Bryan Singer take). Recall, that the awful PLANET OF THE APES ripoff made over $350M worldwide and there was no sequel.

Could the same thing happen to the new SUPERMAN?