The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:17 pm 

I've been meaning to bring this up ever since the current design of the web page came around, but it has always been easier at the time to find a different way in.

The Marathon web site is unusable to anyone who isn't using Flash. With the popularity of smart phones today, this is a real problem. I'm currently typing this in the Google Chrome Beta for Linux. It doesn't like Flash much with the current version. I was able to find a way in because I know about URLs, how to read them, and how to find them, and I had it bookmarked on my iPhone so I could get around the Flash. That may not seem like something special, but many people don't know how to do that.

My suggestion is simply to put a link to the forum on the main page as a real text link outside of the Flash content. The whole site could be made usable to non-Flash users by making a non-Flash site, but that would be a lot of work and the one we have is nice if you have Flash. I only ever use the forum, so I don't know how useful a non-Flash main site would be. I don't want to ask anyone to do any work I wouldn't want to do, so I'll do the "hard" part. Just paste this into the index page under the Flash content: <a href="http://www.scifimarathon.com/phpBB2/">[Forum]</a>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:40 am 
Site Admin

I can't really speak for Jen, since she does the site design, but I would expect that you'll see the Sci-Fi site move toward the current design of the Horror Marathon site (www.horrormarathon.com).

Again, Jen can speak about whatever ideas she has, but I expect there will be another overhaul on that side which will be similar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:31 pm 

That site looks nice. Conceptually, the Boston Scifi Marathon page is pretty nice. I was built in Drupal. My web site (www.grimmphotography.com) was built in Drupal in about two hours. Adding content takes just a few clicks. Something like the horror marathon or Boston sites could probably be done in less time in Drupal since the forum already exists in phpBB2.