The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:00 pm 

Hi Bruce and Joe,

I have never seen this movie because it's never been released on VHS or DVD, it's called THE OLD DARK HOUSE it's a William Caste-Hammer Production. It Looks cool, wonder if you can find a print?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:24 pm 

Looks good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:59 pm 
Site Admin

For shame, Tim! You claim to be a William Castle fan and yet you MISSED this version of OLD DARK HOUSE when it played at the Wexner's Halloween Horror several years back? I'll have to ask you to turn in your ILLUSION-O viewer now. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:36 pm 

Speaking of horror marathons, do we have a date yet? I usually start asking abou Scifi around January 1st, I figure I should start asking about horror around July 1st. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:26 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:
For shame, Tim! You claim to be a William Castle fan and yet you MISSED this version of OLD DARK HOUSE when it played at the Wexner's Halloween Horror several years back? I'll have to ask you to turn in your ILLUSION-O viewer now. :wink:

So what you are saying is YOU do think you can get a print for the horror marathon :)

SWEET!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:03 pm 
Site Admin

Okay Tim, remind me in September and I'll include the trailer this year, but that's as far as I'll go. The star of the film is Tom Poston. That should tell you something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:16 am 

bar2b2 wrote:
Okay Tim, remind me in September and I'll include the trailer this year, but that's as far as I'll go. The star of the film is Tom Poston. That should tell you something.

Not a great film I take it? The trailer can be fun!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:36 pm 

The film is pretty mediocre at best. Anyone interested in the subject matter would be MUCH better off seeing the original 1932 classic with Boris Karloff, Charles Laughton and Gloria Stuart (the "old lady" in TITANIC!). It's directed by James Whale (BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN).

This remake is really only notable for virtually eliminating the original version from the face of the earth. All prints were withdrawn and the film disappeared for generations before finally being re-discovered in the late 70's/early 80's.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0023293/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:16 pm 

I got this DVD in the mail yesterday, its a bootleg I bought off a website but being a William Castle fan I just had to see it for myself. Not sure what source they used considering it has never been released on VHS to the best of my knowledge. I will watch it this weekend and post my review of the film itself and the quality of the DVD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:20 pm 

Ok I Watched THE OLD DARK HOUSE yesterday, before my review let me ask you something Bruce, was the print you showed at the Wexner in color or Black and white? I read on the net where in America only B&W prints were released and over seas Color prints were released.

The DVD I bought is in color, I am not sure what source they used but it was a pretty good picture and sound, I would give the quality an 8 over all.

Now for the movie review and please keep in mind I still have not seen the origianl OLD DARK HOUSE but I did add it to my BlockBuster Mailing list.

I did not hate this film, it certainly was no masterpiece like House on Haunted Hill, 13 Ghosts or Tingler but it was fun to watch. I don't think I could watch it over and over again but for a one time veiwing it was fun. I would give it a 5 or a 6 over all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:34 pm 

Which site did this bootleg come from? You said it was a pretty high quality copy.

Got to admit it gives me a bit of perverse pleasure of the irony that this remake is now the one that is so difficult to find that you have search for a boot and the original 1932 version (who's very EXISTENCE was threatened into virtual extinction by the remake) is now readily available on DVD! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:47 pm 

L.A. Connection wrote:
Which site did this bootleg come from? You said it was a pretty high quality copy.

Got to admit it gives me a bit of perverse pleasure of the irony that this remake is now the one that is so difficult to find that you have search for a boot and the original 1932 version (who's very EXISTENCE was threatened into virtual extinction by the remake) is now readily available on DVD! :)

Actually I made a way cooler menu screen for the dvd already so if you want a copy let me know, if anyone wants a copy send me a private message.