The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:35 pm 

Would it be possible to vote from a list for a film in the following year. so the voting would not be dominated by the forum folks? There would have to be caveats like "assuming prints are still available" etc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:50 pm 

Lord stinky feet wrote:
Would it be possible to vote from a list for a film in the following year. so the voting would not be dominated by the forum folks? There would have to be caveats like "assuming prints are still available" etc?

Great idea! I only remember that being done once, way back at SF9. It was an attempt to populate the 10th anniversary marathon with fan favorites.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:13 am 

My brother! Jaws3DFan couldn't have said it better. After setting up prints of stuff like King Kong Vs. Godzilla,The Green Slime and TerrorVision on a silver platter last year and never hearing a peep I'm glad other fans are feeling my pain. It's funny when others say the same thing I've been saying for many years they are applauded and when I say them I am attacked. Go,Jaws3DFan,Go!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:31 am 

Infra-kid-

You've inspired me- I was able to find "TerrorVision" on DVD this week and order it. I realize it's likely not an "official" release, but the only other alternative is a VHS, and that cost a LOT more used. Looking forward to seeing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:49 pm 

Infra-Kid wrote:
My brother! Jaws3DFan couldn't have said it better. After setting up prints of stuff like King Kong Vs. Godzilla,The Green Slime and TerrorVision on a silver platter last year and never hearing a peep I'm glad other fans are feeling my pain. It's funny when others say the same thing I've been saying for many years they are applauded and when I say them I am attacked. Go,Jaws3DFan,Go!

If some members are getting in your face over your opinions then they seriously need to grow up, on that subject I am with you 100%. God forbid someone should dare to have a negative opinion of the lineup. Free country last time I checked.

But having said that...

Bruce has told us himself in recent years it has been getting more and more difficult to put the marathon on each year for various reasons. Conventions like G-FEST and Cinema Wasteland that screen various films I would think have more money, resources and people working to get what they need compared to our humble little marathon. And with all due respect to Bruce and company, the other marathons that take place in Boston and elsewhere also seem to have a bit of a leg up on us in the aforementioned resources.

The bottom line is, I'm sure Bruce does the best he can with what he has to work with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:38 pm 

I just want to say it looks like a great lineup so far, and I'm looking forward to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:41 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:
...I generally despise the films of Larry Blamire. I think LOST SKELETON is boring at best and I sat through TRAIL OF THE SCREAMING FOREHEAD without one laugh. I've been pretty vocal about this on the board before. But if he were to be booked as the guest for the Sci Fi Marathon, I don't think that my complaints, or the complaints of four or five other vociferous posters, should get him booted from the event. Simply put, he would sell tickets and his presence would not signal the end of the event. That doesn't mean that I can't state that I'd be taking a dinner break during his hypothetical appearance, but I wouldn't expect my personal tastes to overwhelm what is probably the crowd consensus (that most of them would enjoy his hypothetical appearance.)...

Spoke too soon, Joe!

Blamire's back.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:12 pm 

Infra-Kid wrote:

I have read and heard about these legendary prints of GREEN SLIME. Bruce and I have searched for years, if not DECADES, to find one. Just because a theater advertises a showing of a film doesn't mean it's a 35MM film print.
A few years ago I was excited to read that Hollywood's American Cinematheque was having a retrospective on GREEN SLIME Director Fukasaku. You must be made aware that the Cinematheque has access to virtually every film vault in the world and often gets studios to strike a brand new print just for a screening there. And, even the Cinematheque couldn't come up with a SLIME print. Last year a comic book convention advertised a "film print" showing of GREEN SLIME. I dutifully tracked down the man who ran the comic-con and he gave me the number of the man with the private print. It was 16mm. Not only 16mm, but Pan-and-Scan 16mm. I informed Bruce. 16mm pan-and-scan isn't really worth showing on a big screen.
If ANYBODY can come up with proof that a 35MM print exists. Show it. Guaranteed it will play Columbus AND Boston!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:05 pm 

TRy Eric Ott from Cinema Wasteland. And there's a drive in collector from Wisconsin. There are prints out there. I've not seen Bruce,Joe and others at Cinema Wasteland,Motor City Con,The Hollywood Collector Shows,G-Fest,Monstermania,etc. so how would they know what's available? Jeff from Wasteland has prints of Guardian of Hell,Demons,Burial Gorund,Silent Night Deadly Night,Savage Streets,Night of the Zombies,etc. just as an example. Eric Caiden from HB&P has over 600 prints.
I think prints are being looked for in the wrong places.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:06 pm 

I'm also pretty sure it WOULDN'T get played. I mentioned it last year and nobody gave a crap so why should this year be any different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:32 pm 

Infra-Kid wrote:
TRy Eric Ott from Cinema Wasteland. And there's a drive in collector from Wisconsin. There are prints out there. I've not seen Bruce,Joe and others at Cinema Wasteland,Motor City Con,The Hollywood Collector Shows,G-Fest,Monstermania,etc. so how would they know what's available? Jeff from Wasteland has prints of Guardian of Hell,Demons,Burial Gorund,Silent Night Deadly Night,Savage Streets,Night of the Zombies,etc. just as an example. Eric Caiden from HB&P has over 600 prints.
I think prints are being looked for in the wrong places.

The Cinema Wasteland screening was also 16MM - possibly the same print that played L.A. Have the "drive in collector from Wisconsin" post here that he has a 35MM print.

You're up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:51 pm 

The Wisconsin collector is an old man so I doubt he even has a computer. You probably would have better luck meeting up with him at Cinevent or such an event.
You seem down on the Green Slime 16mm print. We showed The House That Screamed at The All Night Shriek O Rama in 16mm Scope and people loved it.
I'm sure there are prints all over the place. They all just didn't end up in dumpsters. They are probably all sitting in various basements and empty drive ins and such. I even have a Laserblast 35mm print that was dug out of Full Moon's trash.
All you have to do is keep watching the lineups at the New Beverly in LA to see prints from all over the place appear. You think it's magic? It's just finding and connections. LIke I said,there are many collectors at shows like Hollywood Collector Show,Cinema Wasteland and others. You just have to leave Columbus(smalltown thinking)once in awhile to discover them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:14 pm 

I am in L.A.! I just spoke with Hollywood Book & Poster/Grindhouse Fest's Eric Caidin LAST NIGHT. I help find stuff for the Boston Marathon, and some of it ends up in Columbus as well.

I am not as against 16mm as both Marathons' organizers are, but it DOES cost money to set up and it is of inferior quality.

But, there are no PROVEN prints of GREEN SLIME in 35mm. Bruce and I have been looking - for decades..........

Infra-Kid wrote:
The Wisconsin collector is an old man so I doubt he even has a computer. You probably would have better luck meeting up with him at Cinevent or such an event.
You seem down on the Green Slime 16mm print. We showed The House That Screamed at The All Night Shriek O Rama in 16mm Scope and people loved it.
I'm sure there are prints all over the place. They all just didn't end up in dumpsters. They are probably all sitting in various basements and empty drive ins and such. I even have a Laserblast 35mm print that was dug out of Full Moon's trash.
All you have to do is keep watching the lineups at the New Beverly in LA to see prints from all over the place appear. You think it's magic? It's just finding and connections. LIke I said,there are many collectors at shows like Hollywood Collector Show,Cinema Wasteland and others. You just have to leave Columbus(smalltown thinking)once in awhile to discover them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:31 pm 

16mm prints are inferior quality. I rather have video projection. If they want a 35mm print of The Green Slime then so be it. They want to run the Boston and Columbus Science Fiction Marathon at the highest quality and if they want 35mm prints so be it. 16mm are for the basement dwellers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:39 am 

willcail wrote:
16mm prints are inferior quality. I rather have video projection. If they want a 35mm print of The Green Slime then so be it. They want to run the Boston and Columbus Science Fiction Marathon at the highest quality and if they want 35mm prints so be it. 16mm are for the basement dwellers.

The Columbus Sci-Fi and Horror marathons have used 16mm and video projection in the past on several occasions and I have never heard one single complaint. If you prefer 35mm than so be it but the marathons are about screening rare movies the only way possible and if that means 16mm than so be it and if it means video projection than so be it.