The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:01 pm 

Hi Bruce & Joe,

We are now into August and I know your Brains must be spinning as you start to compile the movies for this years line up, set the perfect date and pick the venue but I just wanted to interrupt you for a second and ask that you keep us all in the loop. Now that we have this Beautiful new Message Board you can certainly keep us all up to date on all new develpoments and get input on all the hot topics especially the film line up.

I would like to put in an advanced request for more movies like last years The Legend of the Wolf Woman, Beyond the Fog A.K.A. The Tower of Evil which was a great trailer shown at last years marathon and Clint Howard in Evilspeak and Clint would also make a great guest :wink: :wink:

Ok I will let you get back to your busy busy planning stages of the Horror Marathon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:17 pm 
Site Admin

Patience...patience...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:57 pm 

Any chance we have a date yet?

My assumption is 10/21-10/22. At least the horror has been pretty easy to predict.

I'd like to throw in a request for Horrors of War and maybe getting some of the local guys to talk about it. I will admit I know one of the guys involved, though I haven't had a chance to see the film yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:24 pm 

I have never attended one of the horror marathons, but would like to. It is a similar atmosphere seeing how it is put together by Bruce and Joe? Secondly, where are they usually held if noone minds my asking?

Also, is there a list of what has shown at previous horror marathons?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:32 pm 

How much longer do we have to wait?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:38 am 

Mecha74 wrote:
I have never attended one of the horror marathons, but would like to. It is a similar atmosphere seeing how it is put together by Bruce and Joe? Secondly, where are they usually held if noone minds my asking?

I've only attended 4 marathons: scifi and horror in 04 and 05. In 04 I went to the Studio 35 horror marathon (which was put on by someone else) because I had bought my ticket before the other one was announced. In 05 scifi and horror were both at the Drexel Grandview.

I would say they have a similar atmosphere, and if you like the scifi marathons you will like the horror ones. The big difference is that the horror marathons were shorter, 14 or 15 hours. I had to miss the scifi this year. I am hoping for 24 hours of horror.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:51 am 

Mecha74 wrote:

I swung by the Drexel boards to try to find one of the links and noticed that there is some activity over there if you want to check it out.

http://forums.drexel.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=23&t=000111

The horror has had an interesting history, and Joe should probably really answer. Here is an interview he did last year.

http://www.7mpictures.com/inside/moviezone/marathon.mp3

Unfortuantely it is uspposed to be 50 minutes long but it only runs 11 minutes. The first one was in 1988 up at the old Drexel North. They had a number of them up there, but I don't recall how many. I can't find the history link that Joe had up at one point that included the horror marathons.

The horror isn't as consistent as the Sci Fi has been in the sense that it has changed locations much like the Sci Fi but I believe it missed years, at least in a theater.

7 years ago, Joe brought it back from the dead and worked with the folks at Studio 35 to have a 24 hour horror marathon. He did a great job but when ownership changed tehy had some differences of opinion. Two years ago, Joe and Bruce teamed up for the horror marathon. It has sadly only been 14 hours, 10 pm Staurday to noon Sunday, but we hold out hope it will stretch back to 24 at some point. These last two have been held at the Drexel Grandview. Much like the Sci Fi the staff does a nice job of decorating and dressing up.

The Crowd

You see some of the same core folks that you see at the Sci Fi at the horror. However there are two differences I have noticed, though to be honest I have not taken a census so I might be wrong.

First, the horror trends to a tighter age demographic. You don't have the younger kids you get at the Sci Fi. You also don't seem to get as many of the older folks you get at the Sci Fi.

Second, and this one I am more sure about, is there are more female attendees.

Otherwise not really a lot of difference, other than the films. They have a scream contest which is often quite impressive. Costume contest, the usual giveaways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:52 pm 

Awesome, thanks for all the info and the links Dennis. :)

Post subject: Horror Maraton
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:22 pm 

I must have a new body count. When will info on the Horrorthon be made, I can take the waiting no longer......my goodness the pain!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:15 pm 

In theory less than two months. In fact if it is the third weekend (as it has the last few years) it is about 6 weeks. The 28th won't work for me, but if I have to miss a marathon, I'd rather miss the horror.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:17 pm 

Update on the Drexel board: Oct 21 10 PM to Oct 22 Noon at Drexel Grandview

Post subject: Huzzah
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:19 am 

More blood
More sex
More violence

The Marathon is here once again