The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:49 pm 

I don't know if you have to get permission to show it, but I for one would love to see Too Many Cooks shown during the horror thon. I won't spoil it if you haven't seen it, but just wait and you'll see why it would fit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:21 pm 

WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS

It's currently playing at a local art house theater. I don't think I'll be able to make it while it's still in theaters, but it looks hilarious, so I'd like to see it at Shock Around the Clock this year.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:03 pm 

Anyone here opposed to having It Follows show at the horror marathon? I seen it last night and I must say I fell in love with it. I think it is just the kind of movie that should be shown at a horror marathon.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:06 am 

agentstinky wrote:
WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS

It's currently playing at a local art house theater. I don't think I'll be able to make it while it's still in theaters, but it looks hilarious, so I'd like to see it at Shock Around the Clock this year.

We watched What We Do In The Shadows about 3 months ago, and we loved it. Highly entertaining. As soon as it was over, we all agreed "the marathon crowd would love it". Very funny.

The Babadook was great too. Haven't seen It Follows yet, but I might go this week. Heard it's really good though, so it would probably be a fine addition to the marathon.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:02 am 

HorrorTriviaMaster wrote:
Anyone here opposed to having It Follows show at the horror marathon? I seen it last night and I must say I fell in love with it. I think it is just the kind of movie that should be shown at a horror marathon.

I really liked it as well. I could see it being a divisive film... not in the way A Serbian Film, Martyrs, or Irreversible were, though. No one is going to find it offensive. It's just that it's a slow burn... it's creepy, atmospheric, and a little ambiguous, and has very little violence, gore, or traditional scares. Just look at the reaction its getting online - very divided - people either love it or hate it.

So, yea, I think it'd make a GREAT marathon film - divisive films are the best! :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:46 am 

I think there's always room at the Horror Marathon for something creepy and suspenseful, even without a big "payoff".

Not a whole line-up of it, of course, but one or two "slow burns" are usually appreciated.

I haven't heard much about It Follows, but I'd be open to seeing it. I heard a lot of good about the Babadook, but haven't seen it either.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:28 pm 

scottcoz wrote:
people either love it or hate it.

Scott, I was thinking the SAME THING lol My response to the haters of It Follows:
"HEYYY! WHAT'S THE BIG IDEA!?"
- Stimpy

AEinhorn: I agree. The Babadook looks like one of the creepiest and most effective horror films to have come out in a LOOOOONG TIME. I also haven't seen it yet.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:36 am 

Yea, I would love for The Babadook to play! I haven't seen it, either, but have been highly anticipating it, ever since comicbookgirl19 reviewed it (Babadook review starts at 7:30):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo2DQjfAFnw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:40 am 

scottcoz wrote:
Yea, I would love for The Babadook to play! I haven't seen it, either, but have been highly anticipating it, ever since comicbookgirl19 reviewed it (Babadook review starts at 7:30):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo2DQjfAFnw

I haven't seen The Babadook either but I pre-ordered the Scream Factory Blu-Ray because I have heard so many good things about it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:18 pm 

I saw IT FOLLOWS last week and I would also love to see it at the marathon. Like The Babadook, the monster/threat was a metaphor; sort of an exploration of primal psychological fears of death and sexuality and adulthood, and genuinely scary to me. It was great to see with a crowd at The Nightlight here in Akron.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:06 pm 

Worth remembering that, as always, with movies like The Babadook and It Follows, they may not be available to be shown at the marathon. (Though based on the wide theater release for It Follows and the dvd release for The Babadook, I have a feeling both might be available.)

Another one that a lot of people missed may be As Above So Below. Not quite as entertaining as last year's new-movie showing of You're Next, but still a decent enough flick. It had some of that Descent-like claustrophobia.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:36 pm 

No.... no found footage.... no found footage ever. :x

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:58 am 

I'm with Kevin... in general, the found-footage style films don't generally do it for me.

That said, I haven't seen As Above, So Below, and I'm always up for seeing a movie I haven't seen before. I just don't hold out much hope that I'll like it, and certainly wouldn't miss it if it does NOT play at one of our marathons.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:53 am 

My feelings are found footage is that it has largely become a gimmick that has overstayed its welcome. Too many films use found footage as an excuse to not fully flesh out the story, although I do appreciate that it can certainly help a low-budget film keep the suspense going.

But the bigger issue I have with found footage is that it's become too slick - and far too often we're seeing films that actually are filmed conventionally, and then the "shaky cam" nature of being a hand-held camera are added in digitally. I've got a really sensitive sense of equilibrium, and my inner ear can tell when movement on a screen is "off", so I get nauseous from watching films like that.

I think I would've liked Cloverfield, but I was only able to watch the first fifteen minutes, then I spent the rest of the film steadfastly looking at the floor and listening to it. :(

So, yeah, I'm in favor of no found footage films. But if we have one, no big deal. That'll just be my dinner break.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:17 pm 

kevincarr wrote:
No.... no found footage.... no found footage ever. :x

Sorry, gotta disagree with you here. I'm no fan of found footage, but What We Do In The Shadows was a hugely entertaining movie, and to rule it out based simply on the style they used to make it (which fit brilliantly with the movie as a whole by the way) is just wrong.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 17  Next