The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:14 am 

Bifocals wrote:
Joe Neff wrote:

Man, that poster mock-up is a Horror Fan's dream. Gorgeous. :shock:

Are these going to be available? I would love to have one for my wall!

Also, I will be there for sure and bringing a first timer who is interested in the thon as well! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:08 am 

I second that. I would LOVE to have that on my wall! Also, congratulations for bringing someone to this event! :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:00 pm 
Site Admin

Two evening out from the mini-explosion of terror that is SHOCK-O-RAMA! We're so damn excited that we could almost eat a parasitic, sexual hysteria-inducing slug...but we'll wait until Saturday and let David Cronenberg cover that end of things.

In the meantime, check out our pal Hope Madden's write-up of SHOCK-O-RAMA over at Columbus Underground:

http://www.columbusunderground.com/halloween-comes-early-to-the-drexel-theatre-hm1

As far as color copies of the flier go, we actually wanted to experiment with a more low budget approach to promoting this event. So there are only a handful of color hard copies in existence. But we might be persuaded to make some more if the demand is high.

And what, two days out from the HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT of the SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK lineup and no real speculation on this forum?!?!? C'mon ya bums! Throw in with your prognostications. There are a few hints in Hope's article (one of them is DEATHGASM, which we didn't know if we'd be announcing early when we spoke with Hope.) Need a few more hints? Weeeellllll...okay. Here are a few:

*An ULTRA-RARE 35mm screening of a classic schlock spectacle that has never played a Columbus Marathon. We get the feeling that you'll dig this howler's chintzy appeal...or at least enjoy it more than WASP WOMAN.

*A beloved genre bender from the '80s that has somehow NEVER played a Columbus Marathon.

*A 35mm screening of a gross-out splatterfest by a director whose work has played at several past Marathons...although this title has yet to appear on our screen.

*A stone cold, bona fide, world-shattering classic of the genre that has influenced scads of modern filmmakers. Seriously, one of the all-time greats. I'm getting excited just writing about it.

There ya go! Enjoy the speculating!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:30 pm 

As usual, you are vague enough to be intriguing, but also impossible to guess by mere deduction.

I'm going to take a wild stab and say three of the titles are Ghostbusters, Scanners, and Evil Dead 2...

P.S. When do you anticipate posting the official lineup announcement here? How long do you intend to extend the window of exclusivity to those able to attend the Shock-O-Rama?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:15 pm 
Site Admin

IamJacksUserID wrote:
P.S. When do you anticipate posting the official lineup announcement here? How long do you intend to extend the window of exclusivity to those able to attend the Shock-O-Rama?

Depending on how long it takes us to recover from the SHOCK-O-RAMA onslaught, I'd assume that we'll have the full lineup posted to all outlets by Sunday evening or so. Although knowing our crowd, it'll probably leak out on social media before then.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:30 am 

(Jeopardy theme plays)
Okay. Here are my answers:

PROPHECY

GHOSTBUSTERS

SOCIETY

THE EVIL DEAD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:42 am 

Joe Neff wrote:
Depending on how long it takes us to recover from the SHOCK-O-RAMA onslaught, I'd assume that we'll have the full lineup posted to all outlets by Sunday evening or so. Although knowing our crowd, it'll probably leak out on social media before then.

I was planning to hold off on posting anything until an official announcement was made, but I guess it's OK with you! :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:10 am 

Very weird. I swear I posted something here an hour ago. Maybe I didn't hit submit. Still early.

I loves me some clues.

I'm going to go with Evil Dead 2 for the classic. I think at marathons past or in the podcasts, there was talk of it being overdue for a return. Though maybe I'm imagining that or trying to bring it into the world via The Secret and my vision board.

The gross-out splatterfest intrigues me. Going to go with ... Bad Taste? (not sure if this has shown or not). While mulling it over, I thought maybe something like Nightbreed or Nightmare on Elm Street or even Poltergeist given the director part of the clue, but while those can be gross and splattery (not really Poltergeist, I suppose), I'm not sure anyone would call either gross-out splatterfests.
(though is Bad Taste too close to Evil Dead? is TWO New Zealand movies too many? I'm second guessing myself).

The 80s genre bender is nagging me. I'm sure I will smack my head and say DUH when I hear what it is. Ghostbusters certainly makes sense. Tried to come up with something different and I'm not getting much.

I have no guess on the classic schlock.

Also, I'm sure there are clues within clues that add up to a megahint about Jason X -- "howler," "genre bending," "splatterfest," Joe's excitement, ummm 35mm. Right?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:33 am 
Site Admin

agentstinky wrote:
Joe Neff wrote:

I was planning to hold off on posting anything until an official announcement was made, but I guess it's OK with you! :twisted:

To be fair, we'd have no problem at all with the SHOCK-O-RAMA maniacs keeping the lineup as their own personal secret until we roll it out the next evening or so. But we also know how people tend to be on the interwebs.

And no, that's not a subliminal advertisement for The Secret. Or wait...maybe it is....hmmmm...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:18 am 

Joe Neff wrote:
agentstinky wrote:
Joe Neff wrote:

To be fair, we'd have no problem at all with the SHOCK-O-RAMA maniacs keeping the lineup as their own personal secret until we roll it out the next evening or so. But we also know how people tend to be on the interwebs.

And no, that's not a subliminal advertisement for The Secret. Or wait...maybe it is....hmmmm...

I plan to use hashtag #2015HorrorMarathonLineupScrewJoeInsertEvilLaughHere

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:58 pm 
Site Admin

...and this is why I love Tim Martin.

And speaking of love....since I LOVE to tease you guys, here's another hint for one of the SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK films that we'll be announcing tomorrow evening:

*A film that has never played a Columbus Marathon, written by a legendary author who has penned several Marathon favorites, directed by a fairly legendary figure of his era, co-starring a character actor best known for his role in a classic cult film, and starring a much-beloved horror legend.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:16 am 

Joe Neff wrote:
...and this is why I love Tim Martin.

And speaking of love....since I LOVE to tease you guys, here's another hint for one of the SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK films that we'll be announcing tomorrow evening:

*A film that has never played a Columbus Marathon, written by a legendary author who has penned several Marathon favorites, directed by a fairly legendary figure of his era, co-starring a character actor best known for his role in a classic cult film, and starring a much-beloved horror legend.

Ah ha!

This one you gave too many clues for.

THE DEVIL RIDES OUT

What do I win?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:39 pm 

Has Sleepaway Camp ever played at a thon? That's my best guess for the 80s beloved gender bender!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:48 am 

I won't preempt the official announcement, but as a teaser if anyone who wasn't at SHOCK-O-RAMA happens to see this before the lineup is posted, only one person got a right answer in this thread. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:49 pm 

Nobody will be preempting the official announcement as that was last night :) Please do spill! I anxiously await the announcement here on the west coast. The first time in years I will be making it back to Ohio for the marathon. Yay!