The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:19 am 

Saw a midnight screening of SUSPIRIA on Saturday night at The Nightlight in Akron. This was a digital screening, and there were some minor stuttering issues and possibly a little distortion around the edges of the frame (maybe this was just the movie?). Although the soundtrack was at a more reasonable level than SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK 2013, I still think I preferred it in 35mm. Still a great movie though! And I got my decidedly non-marathoid, non-horror fan fiancee to see it with me!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:08 am 
Site Admin

I wonder if the Nightlight showed the old Anchor Bay DVD of SUSPIRIA. That screen seems small enough that the inherent limitations of blowing up standard def DVDs might not hurt. What makes me wonder is your comment about the sound levels. That AB DVD infamously featured a remixed audio track that actually lowered and almost muted several key sections (including the unforgettable opening salvo) that were designed to be overpoweringly loud. Or maybe the theater played the movie at a softer level. :wink:

The last time that SUSPIRIA was released with its proper 4-track stereo mix was when it debuted on the old Magnum video label way back when. Don May has been working on an extensive restoration of the film, including the original sound mix, but that probably won't be available on video for a good while still.

Okay, I'll stop with the SUSPIRIA rambling now...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:42 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:
I wonder if the Nightlight showed the old Anchor Bay DVD of SUSPIRIA. That screen seems small enough that the inherent limitations of blowing up standard def DVDs might not hurt. What makes me wonder is your comment about the sound levels. That AB DVD infamously featured a remixed audio track that actually lowered and almost muted several key sections (including the unforgettable opening salvo) that were designed to be overpoweringly loud. Or maybe the theater played the movie at a softer level. :wink:

The last time that SUSPIRIA was released with its proper 4-track stereo mix was when it debuted on the old Magnum video label way back when. Don May has been working on an extensive restoration of the film, including the original sound mix, but that probably won't be available on video for a good while still.

Okay, I'll stop with the SUSPIRIA rambling now...

Apparently they played the Region B Blu-Ray. The sound was pretty good to me, certainly didn't have any issues like you described, but I still would love to see it again once the extensive restoration you're describing is completed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:02 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:
What makes me wonder is your comment about the sound levels. That AB DVD infamously featured a remixed audio track that actually lowered and almost muted several key sections (including the unforgettable opening salvo) that were designed to be overpoweringly loud. Or maybe the theater played the movie at a softer level. :wink:

I will never understand how such loud volume makes the movie "better" in anyone's opinion. Music that is scary is ideal. It goes into a whole other territory when it actually hurts my ear drums. I want to be scared, not deaf lol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:09 pm 

Ghost wrote:
I loved it because it was the polar opposite of a Hollywood Happy Ending.

I can kind of understand what you're saying, and different from a typical Hollywood Happy Ending is one thing, but this ending is just REALLY stupid! (in my opinion).
Spoiler: show
Okay, I get that the situation seemed hopeless, but is that any reason to throw all logic and reasoning out the damn window and do the absolute worst thing you could possibly think of? You don't want to, I don't know, POKE YOUR HEAD OUT THE DRIVER'S SIDE WINDOW to see if the coast is clear, or maybe make a run for it BEFORE killing everyone in the car, including your own damn SON!??

And what really gets me is "Best ending ever!!" WHAT!? Do you hate happy endings?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:14 pm 

I seen some Horror films lately to sate my thirst until the big day. They are:
FROZEN (not the Disney movie. The Adam Green movie with the skiers)
SUPER HYBRID
JESSABELLE
OPEN GRAVE
THE SACRAMENT

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:22 pm 

Plowing through season 2 of American Horror Story. Liked season 1, season 3 had its moments at times. Season 2 so far, ok.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:04 am 

Not really a horror movie but in light of the recent discovery of liquid water on mars I watched the old classic "The Angry Red Planet". My five year old son really got a kick out of it and my nine year old daughter analyzed it to death about the red filter and how plants can't live on mars, blah blah blah.

I pulled up my soap box and proceeded to rant about the definition of science fiction and how the film was made BEFORE we even went to the moon (please don't debate this here) :lol: . Anyway it was a great time and I will always love the "moral of the story" ending that old sci-fi flicks like to leave it on.

Now I'm ready for the sci-fi thon as much as the horror!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:57 am 

Kicked off October with THE WICKER MAN (1973). The Nightlight in Akron is showing it this weekend, but I won't be able to make it, so we watched it at home instead...still great!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:20 pm 

I didn't go into this movie expecting it to be horrorthon prepwork, but dammit if Sicario didn't wind up being a very horror-like experience. Set aside its drug war story, this was as tense and nerve-wracking as any horror movie I've seen in a while. And it wasn't action tension. It was dread and raw nerves. The soundtrack and sound design could be attached onto any killer/stalker/creeping dread movie and be every bit as effective. The feeling that death could be right around the corner permeates this bad boy, never more apparent than in a sequence toward the end set in tunnels and through night vision. I was riveted.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:09 pm 

13 hours into a planned 24 Hour binge of B Movie TV on Roku. On movie 7. Not all have been horror (Hyper Sapien, Exit the Dragon Enter the Tiger) but 3 have been:

The Severed Arm. Crap but mildly amusing.

Class Reunion Massacre (aka The Redeemer: Son of Satan). The alternate titles have little to do with each other. Goofy high school slasher but with adults.

Progeny. An icky Yuzna-Gordon joint about an alien baby.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:16 am 

My B Movie TV marathon continues. Since last update 6+ hours ago, the only real horror movie has been Hell of the Living Dead. Felt like it was assembled from stock footage and parts of other movies. Flirts with cannibal movie territory a little. Fine enough. One great kill toward the end.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:57 pm 

Belated last check in. GINAL horror-related movie of my minithon was Grave of the Vampire. Mostly dull and slow. Notable for one reason though. One of the first things written by David Chase of the Sopranos. Credited with script and novel.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:33 am 

Quote:
Don May has been working on an extensive restoration of the film, including the original sound mix, but that probably won't be available on video for a good while still.

I keep trawling the Interwebs every once in a while, looking for news of a release. The anticipation is killing me. My first exposure to SUSPIRIA was the Anchor Bay set. I asked for it for Christmas, sight unseen, because I had read so much about it. As someone coming at it with fresh eyes, the film still had a huge impact on me, even with the soundtrack issues that previous fans of the film still mention. I truly can't wait to see what May does with it. I've held off buying the R2 Blu-ray but if the radio silence keeps up for much longer, I may have to break down and order it. I showed it to my 14 year-old stepson earlier this year. I prepped him ahead of time that it was the kind of film where the sound and visuals take precedence over a coherent story and to look at it as if he was experiencing a dream or a fairy tale. To my surprise and delight, he loved it. Whenever the music comes on in the car (from my phone) he can't help but almost vibrate to it. His poor mother regrets ever allowing me into his life. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:32 pm 
Site Admin

Ask, and ye shall receive!

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/380451-suspiria-early-looks-upcoming-synapse-restoration/#/slide/1

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next