The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:25 pm 
Site Admin

Naw, I just like to argue. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:22 pm 
Site Admin

Joe Neff wrote:
Naw, I just like to argue. :wink:

No you don't - you're just saying that to be argumentative.

Oh ... wait. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:21 pm 
Site Admin

If we show it 2-D, the audience may find a way to provide the 3rd dimension. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:32 pm 

bar2b2 wrote:
If we show it 2-D, the audience may find a way to provide the 3rd dimension. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

The Third Dimension is Terror!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:57 am 

Just found the page on Facebook a couple weeks ago and am very excited about the possibility of going to the marathon this year. I didn't even know this existed until recently. But the idea of seeing Caligari and Goke on the big screen has me psyched. And I have never seen Flesh for Frankenstein, so that will be a treat, provided I do get to go.

Others I'd love to see:

The Exorcist
Island of Lost Souls (1933)
Carrie
Suspiria
Deep Red
Four Flies on Grey Velvet
The Cat O'Nine Tails
Blood Feast (1963)
Buio Omega
Rosemary's Baby
The Shining
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (which I suppose might be more scifi)
Kwaidan
Viy
Vampyr (1931)
An American Werewolf in London
The Wicker Man (1973)
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane
I Walked With a Zombie
Evil Dead II
The Birds
Nosferatu (1922 or 1979)
Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key
Eyeball
Torso
Autopsy
and virtually anything directed by Mario Bava.

-S.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:29 pm 

srowley75 wrote:
Suspiria

Welcome to the Board, hope you can make it the Marathon they are always a Blast!!

Don't hold your breath for Suspiria, Joe (the organizer) hates this movie and refuses to show it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:46 am 
Site Admin

Jaws3dfan wrote:
srowley75 wrote:
Suspiria

Welcome to the Board, hope you can make it the Marathon they are always a Blast!!

Don't hold your breath for Suspiria, Joe (the organizer) hates this movie and refuses to show it

Tim, of course, is referring to my evil doppleganger who won the costume contest last year. I'm also beginning to think that Jessica Harper stole Tim's Halloween candy when he was a child, his hatred of Argento's classic is so seemingly irrational.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:46 am 

Joe Neff wrote:
Jaws3dfan wrote:
srowley75 wrote:
Suspiria

Tim, of course, is referring to my evil doppleganger who won the costume contest last year. I'm also beginning to think that Jessica Harper stole Tim's Halloween candy when he was a child, his hatred of Argento's classic is so seemingly irrational.

Just go ahead and write the 100.00 check out to me now, I plan to take the Costume Contest this year!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:04 am 

Here is some more:

Grizzly
Slugs
Blood for Dracula
Human Centipede II

Post subject: Wishlist Horror Movies
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:16 pm 

House on Haunted Hill (original)
Cemenarty Man
Phantam
Magic
Little Shop of Horror (Black and White)
any movie about man with two heads
Maxium Overdrive
The Howling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:24 pm 

I view Max Overdrive more sci fi than horror. Then the horror film Troll Hunter did screened at this year's science fiction marathon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:51 pm 

The Beyond
Cemetery of the Living Dead a.k.a. Gates of Hell
The Lost Boys
American Werewolf in London
Inside
Maximum Overdrive (went over great in Chicago a couple years ago)
Phantasm (It's about time it made a comeback)
Slumber Party Massacre (there's a print available)
Brain Damage (uncut if possible)
Inferno
Tenebrae
Alligator
Repulsion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:58 pm 

L.A. Connection wrote:
Since Joe mentions the Boston SF marathon, I will happily "admit" that I booked Carpenter's THE THING at last year's event although I believe it is almost certainly one of the Top 10 Most Overrated SF films of ALL TIME!

BUT ---- I know that the vast majority of Marathoners (Boston,and, I'm certain, Ohio) disagree. THE THING was "good" for the Marathon, so I went for it.

And, yes, it both:

1. Went over very well with the crowd, with many calling it their favorite film of that Marathon.

2. Still is one of the Top 10 Most Overrated SF Movies of All Time! In fact, it may now be in the Top 5!
:P

I think you are the ONLY person I've ever heard of that doesn't like John Carpenter's The Thing! What are you? Some sorta commie? Seriously, it's a perfect film. What is it you don't like about it? Honestly curious because I don't know a single person who's seen it and just shrugged it off like you are doing. I guess I can understand not putting into your top ten sci-fi list (actually I can't but I'll give you that) but what is the argument against it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:02 pm 

MEATFETISH wrote:
L.A. Connection wrote:
Since Joe mentions the Boston SF marathon, I will happily "admit" that I booked Carpenter's THE THING at last year's event although I believe it is almost certainly one of the Top 10 Most Overrated SF films of ALL TIME!

BUT ---- I know that the vast majority of Marathoners (Boston,and, I'm certain, Ohio) disagree. THE THING was "good" for the Marathon, so I went for it.

And, yes, it both:

1. Went over very well with the crowd, with many calling it their favorite film of that Marathon.

2. Still is one of the Top 10 Most Overrated SF Movies of All Time! In fact, it may now be in the Top 5!
:P

I think you are the ONLY person I've ever heard of that doesn't like John Carpenter's The Thing! What are you? Some sorta commie? Seriously, it's a perfect film. What is it you don't like about it? Honestly curious because I don't know a single person who's seen it and just shrugged it off like you are doing. I guess I can understand not putting into your top ten sci-fi list (actually I can't but I'll give you that) but what is the argument against it?

John Carpenter = God
The Thing = Creation

Ok that might be just a tad over the top but honestly John Carpenter's The Thing is what all sci-fi movies should aspire to be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:43 pm 

I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but it is on my mind because I have been reading about the production of Ridley Scott's Prometheus, the (sort-of) prequel set in the Alien universe. Alien has played at the Sci-Fi twice, but never the horror marathon.

It would be worth a revisit as a tribute to the new film, plus it may not be available next year, assuming there is a print available in the first place. From postings on this board from those closely involved, there is that weird thing that happens when a remake or sequel is on the horizon and a studio suddenly makes the original unavailable for some dumb reason.

I was also thinking about Shaun of the Dead recently while obsessively re-watching Scott Pilgrim on it's seemingly endless HBO loop. I am quite positive that this will end up in a marathon someday, but I think it is finally far enough in the rear-view mirror that it would not be argued about being too recent.

And we already have a loose theme, with "body snatchers" from Serbia, Germany, and Hell (not that there is much difference in the three), so let's throw in Body Snatchers from outer space. Any of it's incarnations will do, though I prefer Kaufman's 1978 chiller.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next