The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:07 am 

Yes! News! Now that's some customer service. The once-reviled modern classic satisfies my fix...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:41 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:
*A modern classic that has never screened at a Columbus Marathon. This film was somewhat reviled in its day, but it's stature has grown accordingly over the years. And it's incredibly hard to find domestically in 35mm, which is the main reason that we're waiting for word on its availability.

My educated guess, based on the clues and mostly a hunch, is THIS.

This is also the thirtieth anniversary of that film...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:45 am 

The link that was provided is a overrated classic. It is overrated like Paranormal Activity. If said Landis film do get book it will be nap time or a walk. I can say one good thing that the werewolf transformation scene is second best. Compare to The Howling that is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:49 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:46 am 

:shock: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:47 am 

IamJacksUserID wrote:
Joe Neff wrote:
*A modern classic that has never screened at a Columbus Marathon. This film was somewhat reviled in its day, but it's stature has grown accordingly over the years. And it's incredibly hard to find domestically in 35mm, which is the main reason that we're waiting for word on its availability.

My educated guess, based on the clues and mostly a hunch, is THIS.

This is also the thirtieth anniversary of that film...

I interpret the "hard to find domestically in 35mm" as being a foreign film. Unless there is a big overseas market for 35mm US films that is tough to tap from here ... (which very well may be the case as I know nothing about tracking and securing these features).

Racking my brain, but not coming up with any good guesses. Have to dip back into marathon history...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:30 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:

I would like to say HALLOWEEN II (not the remake) or HALLOWEEN III but I know Joe well enough to know he would never call and HALLOWEEN Sequel "A Modern Classic" and they were not really "reviled in their day" however I do think the "stature has grown" for both films.

I am gonna have to Guess POPCORN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:35 pm 

I'm also guessing that Red State (which was unlikely anyway given Smith's distribution plan) is off the table since Gateway is hosting a screening with him Sept. 25 and that Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil, which was discussed last year, also is out since it'll start a run there Sept. 30.

http://gatewayfilmcenter.com/coming_soon.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:09 pm 
Site Admin

Hey, Marathon board activity! And just at the right time! I've received some preliminary word today on a few of the unresolved matters I referred to a few post ago. If everything works out, there's some pretty exciting news to report veeerrry soon. So much so that we're hoping to have tickers and fliers out by next weekend. But we'll see.

To answer a few questions:

*The vintage film in question (which, as of right now, still hasn't been confirmed) is indeed a U.S.-originated one. It's just that for various reasons, prints of it have been amazingly difficult to find for awhile.

*Tim, I actually saw Halloween III (finally) for the first time the other night. It's much better than just about every official sequel that followed it (although H20 is pretty solid as well). I especially loved how Tom Atkins is such a drunken womanizer, almost like a 40's film noir protagonist caught in an 80's conspiracy plot. And yes, I'm not sure that I'd call either of the first two Halloween sequels a modern classic...but that doesn't mean that they both aren't good films...or maybe my use of "modern classic" in this tease is a case of well-timed hyperbole.....hmmmm....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:38 pm 
Site Admin

UPDATE!!!

Good news: shortly after my last posting, I was in contact with several people connected with the mystery vintage title we've been discussing. I'm still waiting for one or two things to drop, but it's looking very likely that we've secured the print for the Marathon. Much more to come.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:34 pm 

OMG I'm a troll because I don't like the same movies? I've only missed one horror thon since the second Nightmare at Studio 35. There are true trolls who use the excuse of the film lineup not to go,

Anyway I'm glad this year is going to be best. Screening films that haven't make a apperance at the Horror Movie Marathon. This could be the best one yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:38 pm 

willcail wrote:
OMG I'm a troll because I don't like the same movies? I've only missed one horror thon since the second Nightmare at Studio 35. There are true trolls who use the excuse of the film lineup not to go,

Anyway I'm glad this year is going to be best. Screening films that haven't make a apperance at the Horror Movie Marathon. This could be the best one yet.

Sorry Will, but you're a troll because all you do is spread negativity, bad spelling and grammar. I like having people be active in the message boards but seriously: you are one negative dude. Even when they play movies you like, you complain that you've seen them too many times already. You seek out the Columbus "premieres" before marathons and watch them and tell us all that the movie sucks or you don't like its time slot. Seriously for any horror fan to say American Werewolf sucks is just insane. You can like it less than The Howling, but it is an almost universally acknowledged classic of the genre and before it's even announced (assuming it is what Joe is hinting at) you piss all over it. And the only time I've seen anyone on here post that they weren't going to a marathon because of the lineup was because they were from out of state and that particular year, they didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars to fly out for so-so lineups. Bottom line: you are the most consistantly negative person on here, and I think most of us have moved beyond the early days of constant internet griping and just want to enjoy the anticipation of our favorite weekend of the year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:13 pm 

I find it funny that a person who went to public school commenting on my grammar. People who went to public school are the ones that are "average" in their english education. I can supply my high school and college transcripts that I recevied A's in english. Now there are other people post on the message borads for example LA who always complains about the lineup.

Now if you complain about any of the movies that's fine. If anyone else complains that's fine. Over the years that I spend well over thousands at the marathons. I've never brought outside food into the theater. I know that buying consessions help keep the marathons going. Now can you say the same thing? Remember a difference in opinion does not equal trolling. Now do I've go back to your posts and point out every single negitive thing you say?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:46 pm 

The funny thing is, I still can't decide if the troll actually realizes he is a troll and doesn't care, or if he is truly as blissfully unaware as he claims to be.

This is getting beyond ridiculous. Can't we all just agree to ignore all of the troll's posts and move on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:49 pm 

willcail wrote:
I find it funny that a person who went to public school commenting on my grammar. People who went to public school are the ones that are "average" in their english education. I can supply my high school and college transcripts that I recevied A's in english. Now there are other people post on the message borads for example LA who always complains about the lineup.

Now if you complain about any of the movies that's fine. If anyone else complains that's fine. Over the years that I spend well over thousands at the marathons. I've never brought outside food into the theater. I know that buying consessions help keep the marathons going. Now can you say the same thing? Remember a difference in opinion does not equal trolling. Now do I've go back to your posts and point out every single negitive thing you say?

WOW! You just keep proving the point that you are a troll. Do you even know me? My first name? Anything at all about me other than that I live in Chicago? No. What about Jaw3D? Do you know anything about him? I doubt it. What does public school or your grades have to do with anything? Should we all red-line your horrible grammar for you? Maybe it was a cheap shot to crack on your grammar and spelling, but if you ever added anything positive to these boards I would've refrained. Yes, we all have complained about lineups, dates, schedules, etc... over the years. I really didn't want Sky Captain to play years ago because it was so new and had just come out on DVD. Years before I was part of the dump Contact movement. But after awhile there were too many people complaining and the board became too negative and a lot of regular users stopped posting because of it. So most of us tried to stop all the whining and moaning-myself included. But you obviously never got the message and you continue the juvenile trolling that drove so many people away. It's not a contest to see who loves the marathons more. I've been going whenever I can since 1989. If it wasn't the same year as the Chicago marathon, I'd go to both this year. I'm willing to call a truce on this and you can even have the last word if you want, but just cut out all the constant negativity and name calling, etc.... I mean for 2 years in a row you started a really ugly attack on people who simply wanted to see fliers. If that's not trolling, I don't know what is. Over and out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next