The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Horrorthon 2011 Wishlist
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:04 am 

Here is some suggestions for the 2011 Horrorthon.

Birdemic The trashy low budget flick. Lots to make fun of

What We Are An IFC Midnight release. Since the Grandview does screen the IFC Midnight series It could be a good premier. I watch this last night on Mid Ohio Time Warner Cable and it is good. It is a spanish horror movie about a family of Cannibals looking for their next meal. Subtitles of course.

Vampire Circus Watched it on BLU RAY last year Arty vampire flick from England. Lalla Ward (Romana II) is in the move as a vampire.

Jason X If it haven't screen at this year Science Fiction Marathon

Dial M for Murder in 3D and or House of Wax in 3D Correct me I think both movies was done in the old red-blue 3D system. Two Classic movies.

Let Me In Yes I'm suggesting a remake. If you been following the message board I don't care for them. When I was reading the back of the BLU RAY case the author of the novel likes the American adaptation. I view this movie as an American adaptation and not a remake of Let the Right One In.

Pieces it have screened before. I think it is time for a re visitation of the film. (SPOILER) With the WTF ending.

Serial Mon The campy horror comedy by John Waters.

The Toxic Avenger Troma classic

Basket Case

That's it for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:34 pm 

I support a reappearance of the gloriously terrible Pieces, but have to vote a big NO to Birdemic. I've already laid out my thoughts in detail about this movie last year in this thread.

Terrible schlock that was made in earnest needs to develop it's entertainment value organically over time. This garbage was sold from the get-go as a "cult classic" and it never works out that way.

And by the way, I still highly recommend Adam Carolla's daily podcast, although the format has changed (for the better) since I first plugged it last year.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:46 pm 

willcail wrote:
Dial M for Murder in 3D and or House of Wax in 3D Correct me I think both movies was done in the old red-blue 3D system. Two Classic movies.

Actually both movies used the dual projector system, House of Wax was re-released in the 80's using the over under format but I don't think the Grandview is set up to show this type of 3-D, they would need a Silver Screen and Special Lens to make it work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:38 am 

There is a re release print of House of Wax that was done in the single strip 35mm Stereovision 3-D in the 1970's. I don't know if this is the same print that they are striking currently. The same goes with Dial M for Murder.

There is for some reason that there is a fanbase for Birdemic. There is a sequel planned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:05 pm 

IamJacks hits it on the head with the importance of being earnest when it comes to schlock. VERY rarely does intentional camp work. When a film comes out and says it's "so bad it's good" from the outset -- it kinda defeats the purpose.

Witness the witless oeuvre of one Larry Blamire.

I would also contend that a film's BUDGET also is a factor. I've never been able to be on board with those who say a $80M dollar film like BATTLE: L.A. or a $75M one like BATTLEFIELD EARTH are just pure B Movie fun! For that kind of money, it's not just good enough to do a higher gloss version of some $300,000 low budget 50s film. You expect something in the way of plot, characterization and innovation (not to mention having learned a thing or two in the past 50 years!).

IamJacksUserID wrote:
I support a reappearance of the gloriously terrible Pieces, but have to vote a big NO to Birdemic. I've already laid out my thoughts in detail about this movie last year in this thread.

Terrible schlock that was made in earnest needs to develop it's entertainment value organically over time. This garbage was sold from the get-go as a "cult classic" and it never works out that way.

And by the way, I still highly recommend Adam Carolla's daily podcast, although the format has changed (for the better) since I first plugged it last year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:36 pm 

Just finished watching Hobo with a Shotgun. It is not strictly a horror film, but it got enough excessive gore and WTF moments could make a good fit.

Remember Meet the Feebles did screened at one of the non 24 hours Horrorthons.

BTW for the record it wasn't a illegal copy or downloaded whatsoever. It was available ON DEMAND via Time Warner Cable Mid Ohio system. Best 10 dollars spent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:49 pm 

While I'm thinking of it...

From the "Cross-genre films that have shown at the Sci-Fi marathon but not Horror" category:

Alien
Altered States
The Fly
(either or both)
The Blob (remake)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Kaufman's)

And from the "Why the hell haven't these bonafide Classics ever played at a marathon?" category:

Peeping Tom
Jaws
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Poltergeist
(Poltergeist!, come on, are you kidding me it's never shown?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:06 pm 

Actually Birdemic does have some sort of cult following. There is a sequel in the works. Birdemic does have a ironic hipster following.

Here is some more:
The original Friday the 13th
Bad Taste
Maximum Overdrive
Tales of the Crypt (1970's version)
Vault of Horror
Creepshow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:31 pm 

Yes, Birdemic has a following. Here are some other things that have a following: The Twilight Saga, American Idol, Jimmy Buffett, Bruce Springsteen, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, True Blood...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:01 am 

I second Basket Case, The Blob remake (or original), the original Friday the 13th, Maximum Overdrive, and Creepshow.

Of course, I'm always up for any Friday the 13th.

Romero's Martin, if prints exist
Romero's The Crazies
Spider Baby
Trick or Treat (1986)
Race with the Devil
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre '74

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:27 am 

Romero's The Crazies and Texas Chainsaw 74 both movies screen in the last four years.

Birdemic is bad schlock, but there are fare worse movies out there. Here is some examples.

Hard Rock Zombies. It makes The Apple look great.
Monster A Go Go. Nothing happens in this film
Paranormal Activity 1. Nothing Happens. In HD
Any of the Twilight movies.
Leonard part 6
Majority of the sci fi flicks aired on This TV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:23 am 

willcail wrote:
Romero's The Crazies and Texas Chainsaw 74 both movies screen in the last four years.

Where? Not at a Grandview marathon. (Or the Bexley one.)

Last edited by Cody on Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:36 am 

You're both partially right.

The Crazies was at SF23 (April 2006, Gateway)

TCM '74 has played four times in Marathon History, although two of those were "unofficial" marathons. But it has played at Nightmare at Studio 35 1 (1999), and Night of the Living Drexel 6 (1993, Drexel North)

On the other hand, we've also had TCM: The New Generation at the first Grandview late-night horrorthon, and we had TCM 2 just last year.

I guess it has been awhile since we saw TCM - but for some reason, it sure feels like it's been more recent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:47 am 

Ah, I don't go to the Sci-Fi, so I missed The Crazies there.

I started going to marathons in 2001, so I've never gotten to see TCM '74 at one. Or on the big screen at all. It's been on my wish list for ten years. (TCM2 was also on my list, so getting that last year was great.)

Another one I'd like to see at the horror 'thon, since it got dropped a couple years ago:

Q, the Winged Serpent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:30 am 

L.A. Connection wrote:
IamJacks hits it on the head with the importance of being earnest when it comes to schlock. VERY rarely does intentional camp work. When a film comes out and says it's "so bad it's good" from the outset -- it kinda defeats the purpose.

Witness the witless oeuvre of one Larry Blamire.

I would also contend that a film's BUDGET also is a factor. I've never been able to be on board with those who say a $80M dollar film like BATTLE: L.A. or a $75M one like BATTLEFIELD EARTH are just pure B Movie fun! For that kind of money, it's not just good enough to do a higher gloss version of some $300,000 low budget 50s film. You expect something in the way of plot, characterization and innovation (not to mention having learned a thing or two in the past 50 years!).

IamJacksUserID wrote:

I totally agree. It's a big part of why I absolutely HATE Human Centipede. That's one of the worst "cult" films in history. If Takeshi Miike had filmed it, it would have been truly disturbing, not just gross and bad. If John Waters had directed it, it might have been funny. As it was, it is just a gimmick turned into a horrible film. And as far as big budget crap, it's seriously the worst to see a horrible movie (like Transformers) and know that as terrible as it is, someone spent $200 million to make an incomprehensible piece of garbage. It actually makes me sad.