The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:28 pm 

There definitely have been great horror movies in the last decade (some of which had premieres at the 'thon!)

The more I think about it, I think by "recent" I literally mean Platinum Dunes, Saw and Rob Zombie, not necessarily the remakes of Japanese movies or Paranormal Activity or some others that have attained box office and/or critical kudos (though the popularity of those also could be draw).

I like the idea of paring a remake with an original.

I'm still curious about our faithful organizer's thoughts on this topic. I'm sure this is something they've mulled over or discussed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:30 pm 

willcail wrote:
Notworldfinest,

Do you understand the difference bewtween having moral standards and whining? I guess not.

I have principles. The people at Cinema Wasteland are the true whiners.

I did force myself to watched A Serbian Film. It is still filth. So how is it whining?

I'm not worldsfinest, not Worldsfinest.

Worldsfinest is not not worldsfinest.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:29 pm 

Hey,quit ragging on Cinema Wasteland,the best convention in the midwest. The comments made at Cinema Wasteland were made by a few people that used to attend the marathons and now do not due to their own reasons. They do not represent the other 2500 attendees that probably roamed the hallways of the show throughout the weekend.
The people on this board seem to have a problem with honesty and other people's opinions who don't want to come to the marathon by their own choice whatever reasons they might have. Cinema Wasteland is certainly full of many selections of fans but they are not "whiners". I suggest going to Cinema Wasteland and calling people that and see how long it takes before you have to pick ourself off the floor and wipe the blood off your face.
Everyone seems to forget outside of Columbus,OH very people know about or even care about this event so I would think you'd want to pursue allies instead of enemies at Wasteland.
And even a bigger point was I dropped off two large stacks of flyers at Cinema Wasteland and by the time I left early Sunday morning there were only 4 left,so people were picking them up and can now make their own decision. If they don't want to come because Tobe Hooper isn't going to be there or Gates of Hell,Dr. Butcher or The Initiation isn't playing that is THEIR choice. It doesn't make them whiners at all. We've went though the reasons before so I don't need to go through it again. If willcail thinks he has some obligation to save the event on his own, start hitting the streets and begging people to come. He seems to be the one whining on here,anyway. Leave Cinema Wasteland out of it. It has nothing to do with Wasteland. They are already an awesome show on their own. They don't need the marathon but the marathon may need them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:03 pm 

Post Deleted by Creator

Last edited by Jaws3dfan on Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:14 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC837oh98_Y

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:58 pm 

Did we really need the political attack in there Tim? Really?

Moving on, I think it's true that ragging on the Cinema Wasteland attendees is missing the forest for the trees. Their complaints and reasons for not attending are valid - for them.

It is worth examining their complaints and seeing if there is something in there that can be used to improve the event. But, as with any other ideas for how to spice up the marathon, the question needs to be what we lose in return.

I have no doubt the attendees of Cinema Wasteland are devoted and passionate. And getting more of them to attend the marathon would be great. But that doesn't mean that Joe and Bruce can - or should - try to make the programming based entirely around what would appeal to that audience.

I think it's fair to say that if the complainers Infrakid spoke to aren't happy with a line-up that includes Flesh for Frankenstein, The Hitcher and Goke, then it's quite possible that there is no way to create a line-up that is going to appeal to them *and* continue to appeal to the regular attendees of the event. But calling them whiners seems a bit excessive.

Moving to another point, I am also in the camp that thinks that if we were to show any of the modern remakes, then in an ideal world we would also show the original. Some of my favorite SF marathons from years past would book-end the marathons that way, (SF5 with The Thing and The Thing From Another World, SF7 with Invasion of the Body Snatchers, SF10 with Alien and Aliens, SF11 with The Fly and The Fly, SF17 with Terminator and T2), and I remember it always being a blast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:13 pm 

Speaking for myself, I'm not telling Joe or Bruce how to do their job at all. Hope it didn't come across that way. The way they operate speaks right to what I'm looking for.

The discussion veered toward potential ways to bring more revenue in. I shared my thoughts as an outsider not privy to the ins-and-outs of booking these events. Wasn't intended to come across like criticism if it did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:38 pm 

Finally got three tickets from the Grandview this past weekend.

Sorry for not buying earlier, thats just the way it worked out this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:40 pm 

Here is my view:

Package Deals: If the guest would be someone I would be interested in (which I'm sure they would, Joe and Bruce haven't steered me wrong yet) I wouldn't mind paying for a premium package. Yet the group I go with, we do enjoy getting there early and socializing.

Premeiers- Yes we all would love to have them but if they can't get them then oh well. I personally don't go for the premiers anyway. Would I love for them to be shown? Yes. But it is not a factor on whether I would go or not. But I will say the 1st year I went was the Ohio premier of Saw so it is cool to see them, especially when they blow up like Saw and I can say I saw the premier of it.

More well known movies- Personally I think it would be good to maybe throw in a Friday, Nightmare, Chainsaw, or any of the dozen remakes. I believe it could drive in more customers and if I'm not interested in the movie, hell I can always go hang out at Stauf's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:02 pm 

Infra-Kid wrote:
Hey,quit ragging on Cinema Wasteland,the best convention in the midwest. The comments made at Cinema Wasteland were made by a few people that used to attend the marathons and now do not due to their own reasons. They do not represent the other 2500 attendees that probably roamed the hallways of the show throughout the weekend.
The people on this board seem to have a problem with honesty and other people's opinions who don't want to come to the marathon by their own choice whatever reasons they might have. Cinema Wasteland is certainly full of many selections of fans but they are not "whiners". I suggest going to Cinema Wasteland and calling people that and see how long it takes before you have to pick ourself off the floor and wipe the blood off your face.
Everyone seems to forget outside of Columbus,OH very people know about or even care about this event so I would think you'd want to pursue allies instead of enemies at Wasteland.
And even a bigger point was I dropped off two large stacks of flyers at Cinema Wasteland and by the time I left early Sunday morning there were only 4 left,so people were picking them up and can now make their own decision. If they don't want to come because Tobe Hooper isn't going to be there or Gates of Hell,Dr. Butcher or The Initiation isn't playing that is THEIR choice. It doesn't make them whiners at all. We've went though the reasons before so I don't need to go through it again. If willcail thinks he has some obligation to save the event on his own, start hitting the streets and begging people to come. He seems to be the one whining on here,anyway. Leave Cinema Wasteland out of it. It has nothing to do with Wasteland. They are already an awesome show on their own. They don't need the marathon but the marathon may need them.

I agree with everything you say here. It is unfair when specific points are turned around into vague, incorrect generalities, which happens all too frequently on this board.

I am passionate about the marathons, but personally I don't think Cinema Wasteland is my cup of tea. Which is fine, to each his own. However, I just wanted to point out that you are probably not going to win many people over to your cause by saying that if we disagree with fans of Cinema Wasteland we may find ourselves on the floor with blood on our face.

I'm just sayin'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:29 pm 

Post Deleted by Creator

Last edited by Jaws3dfan on Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:47 pm 

I'm perfectly fine if the a remake is screen with the original. No problem.

I do agree with Joe that it if people won't go because of X excuses then it doesn't help the marathon.

I'm glad that people pickup the flyers at Cinema Wasteland. I do hope it will translate into ticket sales. As I'm leaving work I was able to convince a new co worker just on Goke alone. I hope he will show up.

Having a narrow lineup consiting of extreme horror films only appeal to a niche group.

I aways go just for the sake for the marathons and for the trailers. Joe always put together great trailers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:31 am 

Did anyone see Saturday Night Live last weekend? The sketch about people inserting their political agendas into non-political message boards (and other random statements) made me laugh hard... not that it has anything to do with anyone here... :lol:

I for one am not complaining about the marathons. I don't ever want to come off that way. As far as I'm concerned, Bruce and Joe and whoever else is involved can show whatever they want. There are all kinds of horror films, some tame and some extreme, and many in between, and I like some of each. They are all horror films. There are two kinds of films: good ones and bad ones. As long as it's good, I don't really care how people classify it. I don't consider it my place to tell the organizers what they can and cannot show. If I'm not interested in a film that's showing, I just go get something to eat or I sleep through it. Most people I know who attend do the same.

I don't think voicing complaints on this board is a problem - I think the problem is people don't know when to stop. Once you've said something, you've said it. You don't need to say it 17 more times. When you've made your point, that's the time to stop. I think that's what frustrates people - the endless arguing that goes nowhere and most likely has no impact on what films get booked anyway. I also think it drives people away from the boards who have no interest in arguing things until the end of time. I'm not someone who enjoys arguing with people - but I will say something if I think it needs to be said, and no one else is saying it. Once I've done so, that's where I prefer to stop and move on with life. And there are times when I'm obviously not being serious and people seem to think I am trying to start an argument, at which point I think the best thing to do is just stop and say I was kidding, rather than keep the argument going forever. Some people don't seem able or willing to do that. Once again, I think trying to be civil, staying on topic and not getting personal (or political) is the way to go. I thought we established that a few weeks ago, but it seems to have been forgotten already.

I don't know what the marathons should do to bring more people in. I really don't. I know they have a limited budget to work with and there's not much room to maneuver within that budget. So mass advertising is out. I don't know what can be done, other than people recruiting new people and getting them to buy a ticket every year. I don't think anyone really wants the marathons to "change", though throwing a bone to the younger fans now and then might not be a bad idea. I do know that clearly something needs to be done to keep them going. The best way to do that right now is to keep supporting the event and encourage others to do the same. I don't know what else to do.

In other news, Sean Young was on Letterman last night begging for work. She might be a relatively cheap guest for next year's Sci-Fi? I'm always willing to watch Blade Runner...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:07 am 

How about a calling a truce?

Anyway since there nine days till another third twenty four hour horror marathon any news about any premires?

If I may say the following. We all passionate about the two marathions. In my opinion that the messages that get posted on tne message borads can get out of hand, lncluding myself. Remember to have fun next weekend. Buy the merch and conssesions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:40 am 
Site Admin

The wheels are still turning, though I think I can speak for Joe when I say that this year has been really quite difficult for good premieres. Too many things coming out just prior or the week of the Marathon. But he's still working the angles, so we'll just have to see.

BTW, just to give credit where it's due, Bruce is usually the one responsible for the trailer reels. Joe handles the intermission music. Not that this whole thing isn't a collaborative effort between them, but I figured I'd point it out.

Anyway, things ARE moving forward in these last weeks (believe me, my back still hasn't recovered), so as soon as the guys have confirmation I know they'll be posting in here. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next