The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:09 am 

The reel-to-reel capabilities is what reeeeelly (har, har!) brings me out to the event. Well that and Werewolves on Wheels. Guests (Severn Darden?!?!?!) would be great and I'd gladly pay more if a guest were there, but the movies are what I come to see. A guest, for me, would be the icing.

I don't want to frown upon the viewing habits of others too much, but I struggle to comprehend how a genre fan would rather watch a DVD at home than watch film in a theater packed with like-minded individuals. The sad thing is, I'm not sure that mentality is convertible. If they don't grasp that rarity now, can they ever be saved?

If that's a growing sentiment (not sure if it is but wouldn't rule it out with the ever-widening access to content), then that is the scariest thing about the marathon.

The other thing I wonder about is (and I shudder to mention this) would there be any merit to giving a slot or two to more popular fare from recent years -- Saw (we knew it before it was COOOL!), things by Zombie or Roth or from Platinum Dunes ...

Wait!!!! Stop throwing things at me!!! Hear me out!!!!

I meet plenty of people who like horror movies, but that's the stuff they like. They don't care and often aren't aware of the history or the classics or the rarities and certainly not anything foreign generally speaking (Classic = Freddy or Jason to many).

Is there any merit to having a more populist, for lack of a better word, movie or two in the lineup as a means of drawing younger or not as well-versed viewers in and hopefully hooking them with the better stuff? (assuming those films are even get-able, I don't know the details).

Would doing so rankle the base customers too much?

Discuss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:36 am 

I actually think that the package idea has a lot of merit to it. I know many marathoids would be happy to pay the extra bucks for the early entry, the exclusive time with the guests, etc.

Of course, it would kind of rankle the "Arrive at 5 a.m." crowd, of which I am a part, to not be able to pick their seats. It already irks me enough when I get into the theatre and see half the rows I wanted to sit in already occupied, even though I was one of the first 5 people in line - but that's another issue.

As for newer fare, I actually am all for including it. Because I think that is what gets some newer fans in the door. I remember the first year I wanted to attend the marathon - way back in 1988, and looking at the line-up, I knew I wanted to see Frankenstein, The Howling, Return of the Living Dead and Evil Dead II. Suspiria? Lair of the White Worm? Island of Lost Souls? What the heck was that?

I didn't make it to that marathon (my father decided in his infinite wisdom I was too young to go alone, and he sure wasn't going), but the next year - NotLD 2, I saw the ad in HOOT and immediately zeroed in on a plan. Of the films listed, all I knew of was Bride of Frankenstein, Re-Animator and Hellraiser. Hellraiser, at the time, was just over two years old (1987 release, this marathon was October 1989), but it drew me in, hardcore.

During that marathon, I fell in love with Curse of the Demon, The Pit and the Pendulum, They Came From Within and Captain Kronos - but Hellraiser was the big draw for me.

As long as the line-up isn't dominated with recent big-release films, I don't think it will drive people away. And it will draw in a fans who might otherwise not have gone.

Look back a few years to the Sci-Fi when Star Trek (2010) was a part of the line-up. Nearly everyone in the theatre had seen the film just months earlier, but there were people who came to the marathon on the strength of that film.

Now, if the line-up was dominated by recent Platinum Dunes remakes, or Saw sequels, sure, that would drive hardcore fans away. But one or two films as a part of a strong, varried line-up? I think they make a good draw.

Of course, I've no idea what the business end of things involves for recent films.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:13 am 

Post Deleted by Creator

Last edited by Jaws3dfan on Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:41 am 

Sure, but conversely, the people who show up at 5 a.m. tend to already be among the folks who do a lot to support the marathon. They're all clearly enthusiastic, they often bring friends, etc.

You'll also note I didn't say "It's a bad idea." I'm just saying that it would be a little annoying to get there that early and to still not be able to get the seat you want.

Because, of course, while I like the idea of the packages, I doubt I'd ever buy one. The marathon - while worthwhile - isn't cheap. Especially if you're bringing a group. I already endure evil looks from my wife as I drop $70-80 a marathon to buy our tickets, plus the ad I purchase in the program.

And therein lies the dilemma, of course. Anything that brings in new money/new blood risks alienating the people who have supported the event until now.

willcail - You say you're willing to drop another $5-10 a ticket for a guest? Good. But will everyone feel that way?
Jaws3dfan - Will longtime fans who enjoy the 5 a.m. gathering (and many of us do, we're not just there to get early seats) be upset to see people who paid a few extra bucks walk in at 11:00 and take their pick of seats in the house?
not worldsfinest - Will Platinum Dunes remakes and Saw sequels send the folks who have been coming to this event for years running away in droves?

I don't have the answers. I'm not privy to the business end of the marathon. I'm just trying to point out potential dangers. Personally, I'm all for all three strategies to be used to get more bodies in and get more cash into the stream of the event to keep it going. But each and every one does have some potential dangers as well - and once you drive a longtime attendee away, you probably won't get them back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:37 am 

The answer to these questions and many more on the next episode of SOAP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:43 am 

Jaws3dfan wrote:
The answer to these questions and many more on the next episode of SOAP

You know, if we could score Tom Hanks as a guest...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:41 pm 

I don't mind the package deals whatsoever. If the first package deal is at fifty five to fifty dollars then the forty five will be a better deal.

If someone bought an ad in they program they should be able to spend sometime with the guest.

Platinum Dunes? Really? I rather watch A Serbian Film, and Sàlo 120 Days of Sodom instead of the dreck that Platinum Dunes puts out.

How about guest programmer package at one hundered dollars. Only two packages are available. Two persons can pick a horror movie each they would like to see at the Horror thon. Limited to catalog films only. It would include everything at the sixty dollars package, including the official mug and their names in the program.

The producer package. It wil include everything at the sixty and hundred dollars packages. One person can get to choose two films. One catalog, and one newer release. Or two catalog films. Plus get their name in the program. Price two to two hundred fifty dollars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:55 pm 

willcail wrote:
If someone bought an ad in they program they should be able to spend sometime with the guest.

I don't actually agree. I've bought an ad in the program for both the Horror and the Sci-Fi for two years now, and I've never expected it to come with anything above and beyond the ad itself. I've always purchased my tickets separately, and waited in line patiently to get my seat.

Maybe I should've driven a harder bargain. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:00 pm 

willcail wrote:

Platinum Dunes? Really? I rather watch A Serbian Film, and Sàlo 120 Days of Sodom instead of the dreck that Platinum Dunes puts out.

But this gets back to some early discussions -- it's a big world o' horror out there and not everyone likes the same things.

I agree with your personal sentiment on Platinum Dunes, but if something from that world would happen to bring more people into the tent and more financial support to the event, then I'd gladly sleep through it or trek out for food while the kiddies squeal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:32 pm 

Anyway, any news on the premires?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:01 am 

Not that I want to keep talking about this, but I was actually making a JOKE about the whole "critics" thing. It was humor. Sarcasm. Wasn't serious. Generalizing for comedic effect. Might not have been funny, granted, but a joke nonetheless. But thanks for taking it so seriously that you wasted half a page trying to prove me wrong... :oops:

With that out of the way, any news on the premiere(s)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:28 am 

This is very last minute. Since Grandview in the past screen IFC at midnight films. There is a recient release title Chillerama. It plays homage/spoofs the anthology movie format.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:47 am 

willcail wrote:
I'm not a big fan of whiners.

Says the guy whining about A Serbian Fim possibly being shown. Dude, you're such a walking contradiction!! lol

I'm all for Joe and Bruce exploring any and every avenue to keep the thon moving forward. If that means showing weak Platinum Dune remakes, than so be it. As stated above, it'll allow the attendees not into these movies the opportunity to grab a bite to eat or count some sheep. Let me re-phrase, COUNT sheep not DO sheep, this isn't a Scotish Highlander Convention.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:08 pm 

I wouldn't object to one recent mainstream hit at the marathons if it was shown early enough for people to get dinner or a beer. If any Platinum Dunes remakes play to try to get the kids to the marathon, then the original film should play as well, so we can school them on what a real horror film is. But I'd like to point out that there are 2 recent movies this year: House of the Devil and Slither. Not exactly box office hits, but Slither has a huge following thanks to DVD. But As far as hits from the last decade, we could do worse than screening Hostel, Devil's Rejects, House of 1000 Corpses, Wrong Turn, The Descent (which I love), The Grudge, The Ring, etc... Not a fan of the Saw movies, but we could play the first one again if it got butts in the seats. I'd go so far to say that the Piranha and My Bloody Valentine remakes are pretty good, and the Hills Have Eyes remake isn't horrible. Hell, the first Scream movie is 15 years old now and a lot of young horror fans never got to see that on the big screen. The more I think about it, the more I endorse this idea. Not my personal preference but there's something to be said for getting young fans in and exposing them to classics. My first marathon was also the 2nd Night of the Living Drexel when I was 13 in 1989. Re-Animator and Hellraiser were my big draws then and they were only 4 and 2 years old at the time. But I came away with a new appreciation for old films like Bride of Frankenstein, Pit and the Pendulum, They Came From Within, and even I Was a Teenage Werewolf. It's popular to complain about recent horror, but in my opinion the last decade of horror was far superior to most anything in the 1990s (with a few notable foreign and indie exceptions). Let's give it a shot. Next year, I hope there's a whole new generation of fans going to their local comic book stores and picking up a flier and getting excited for The Devil's Rejects and having no clue what Gates of Hell is. And hopefully those fans will be as obsessive as us 20 years later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:14 pm 

Notworldfinest,

Do you understand the difference bewtween having moral standards and whining? I guess not.

I have principles. The people at Cinema Wasteland are the true whiners.

I did force myself to watched A Serbian Film. It is still filth. So how is it whining?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next