The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:35 pm 

Veeery interesting lineup indeed, as always.

I've seen five of the 10 announced (the most I've ever seen before hand) but three I've never seen on the big screen (I've seen Caligari and Slither in theaters) so that'll be cool.

Goke and The Beyond are probably the two I'm most looking forward to.

The potential premieres all sound .... interesting. :) Sure to be some discussion generators from that bunch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:01 pm 

This looks like it would be a pretty fun premiere - not sure if it would be released in Columbus on 09/30 as it says that it will be a limited run.

http://www.magnetreleasing.com/tuckeranddalevsevil/

OMG I hope they get Monster Brawl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqGIAkd5tYw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:35 pm 

I don't find movies that feature any form of simulated child abuse appealing. A Serbian Film have zero redeaming qualities. If A Serbian Film such a easy film to book, then it proves that it doesn't have a fanbase. The Innkeepers is a better choice. Please don't book this film.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:41 pm 

Please book A Serbian Film! As bkv1969 said, it's a tradition to have one film that is disturbing, brutal, and thought-provoking. I am sure there are those that will want to skip A Serbian Film, as there were for the other two movies, but for my money, the talk and buzz that Martyrs and Irreversible generated was awesome! A Serbian Film!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:07 pm 

Post Deleted by Creator

Last edited by Jaws3dfan on Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:25 pm 

Again with the Serbian film debate? Didn't we get this all out of our systems last year?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:36 pm 

I'd also be interested in seeing The Innkeepers, for what it's worth. Sounds like a really intriguing movie. I'm not interested in Human Centipede at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:25 pm 

I just guessed Serbian Film was put down as a possible premiere just to get people riled up again. Aren't all the prints in the U.S. a cut version anyways?

I have heard nothing but good things about The Woman, so that would be the premiere I would be the most excited for. Obviously any premiere would be great though.

This is a totally sick line-up, and probably the best line-up in a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:34 pm 

I love this line-up! I'm excited to be a part of it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:31 pm 

I think Irreversible is a challenging, but ultimately excellent movie.
I think Martyrs was faux-intellectual crap.
I think Human Centepede has an outrageous, cheesy charm.

At the end of the day, I appreciate being challenged.

My gut tells me I probaly will not like A Serbian Film or the Human Centepede sequel (which sounds particularly obnoxious despite my slight affection for the first one). But I by no means object to the inclusion of one in the lineup should that play out. I think having sometihng provactive or button-pushing is part of the smorgasboard that is offered by Joe and Bruce.

This isn't to say I don't respect the boundaries of others.
Fare like A Serbian Film certainly isn't for everybody, but neither is Vincent Price or slasher movies or foreign movies or etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:14 am 

Human Centipeade II premise is similar to Blair Witch 2. There is no reason for a sequel to a tasteless joke. BTW A Serbian Film is comming out on the 25th of October. Watch it then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:49 am 

Great lineup this year. All it's missing is a great premier or two and it will be perfect. There isn't a single film I care to miss.

I am really intrigued by the Women and would love a new Ti West flick. It's been a year since the A Serbian Film discussion has NO ONE on this board seen it in that time?

If it plays I most likely won't watch (I think I finally know my limits) but I wouldn't dare miss the expressions on the faces walking out nor the depressed discussions that will take place in the lobby. That will be more entertaining then the film.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:36 pm 

Looks like a pretty good well-balanced schedule from here. Not a huge fan of HELLRAISER or THE BEYOND (both seemed to promise much much more than they deliver). GOKE & FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN are solid rarities (too bad the Warhol doesn't seem likely to be in 3D, though). PIT & PENDULUM and BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN (only the greatest horror film of all time) are excellent 'classic horror' choices. SLITHER went over very well in the just past midnight slot at Boston's SF marathon.

When I read about an 80s movie that was 'reviled' in it's time, I didn't predict THE HITCHER, but it really tested the limits of gore in a mainstream pic at that time. And, Eric Red's personal story rivals even the extreme bits in the film itself (check out this article on more: http://www.laweekly.com/2006-01-12/news ... race-2000/ ). Haven't seen HOUSE OF THE DEVIL, though I hear I should.

(note: reposted edit from prior post that got put in the Serbian Film thread)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:51 am 

Gosh, what a great-looking lineup.

Personally, I hope it doesn't change at all. I am strongly in the camp that isn't nuts about the Serbian Film/Martyrs/etc type of films, even though I did appreciate Irreversible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:50 am 

NICE lineup. I have seen 4 of the anounced movies which I believe is the highest count I've had going into the marathon yet.

Cannot wait to enjoy Hellraiser on the big screen for once.

Goke looks awesome, anything Quentin Tarantino rips off has to be good. (Most of the time)

Slither I've seen enough to know it'll be a crowd pleaser but wouldn't be too heartbroken if it got dropped.

Now for MY opinion of A Serbian Film. This is a beautifully disturbing movie which would fit the marathon PERFECTLY. It is not for the weak stomach but I do believe it still should be shown for everyone to make there own choice whether to watch it or not. I am the kind of person who saw Cannibal Holocaust, Irreversible, and Martyrs and went out and bought them days later. Yes this movie is BEYOND fucked up but it should be up to themselves to decided to watch it. JOE PLEASE PLAY A SERBIAN FILM!
[/b]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next