The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:36 pm 

Last year I was in the "if something has to go, it should be Slither" camp given its recent vintage and its easy availability in perfectly acceptable DVD form (on blu yet? I'm not sure).

But two factors have me waffling on that stance this year. First, I feel sorta bad if it keeps getting bumped (not that one should have such feelings for inanimate reels of film stock). But more importantly, after reading some of the past discussions around these forums, I've been reminded of the From Dusk til Dawn screening a few years ago.

Going in, I shrugged my shoulders about it. I'd seen it in theaters, owned the awesome DVD version, generally enjoyed it, but wasn't really clamoring to see it on the big screen.
I was a little bummed to see it opening because I'd pegged it as the one to sleep through if I really needed to doze off or the one to skip if it was the closer.

The lights went down in the theater.
And the movie totally killed.
Great experience.

Slither is certainly more than capable of being a similar crowd pleaser.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:49 pm 

Unless Slither is being announced as a joke, only to be "dropped" at the last minute (which would be kind of funny actually), I think it needs to be in the "leave it in at all costs" category. This year's lineup is pretty solid, but one thing it is lacking (if anything) is comedy, intentional or otherwise. Though not as raucous as similar horror/comedies, it still is the one film in the lineup that fits that bill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:57 pm 

When are we gonna start getting into the CLASSSIC Italian horror? I know they show a lot of Argento which is great he's the Hitchcock of Italy but I NEED some Fulci! How about it Joe & Bruce next year lets get A Cat In the Brain!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:12 pm 

FiendwithoutaFacebook wrote:
When are we gonna start getting into the CLASSSIC Italian horror? I know they show a lot of Argento which is great he's the Hitchcock of Italy but I NEED some Fulci! How about it Joe & Bruce next year lets get A Cat In the Brain!

Hmmmm... let's see...

Joe Neff wrote:
So yes, after much teasing and subterfuge, here it is: the (almost complete) film list for the 3rd Annual Ohio 24-Hour Horror Marathon...

*Lucio Fulci’s surreal “hey, who left the gates of Hell open?” masterpiece THE BEYOND!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:14 pm 

Touche good sir! Obviously I did not read the movie list as well as I originally thought! Viva la Fulci! :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:23 pm 

IamJacksUserID wrote:
Unless Slither is being announced as a joke, only to be "dropped" at the last minute (which would be kind of funny actually), I think it needs to be in the "leave it in at all costs" category. This year's lineup is pretty solid, but one thing it is lacking (if anything) is comedy, intentional or otherwise. Though not as raucous as similar horror/comedies, it still is the one film in the lineup that fits that bill.

I love SLITHER and agree "leave it in at all costs" I want to see every film in the line-up but "The Bride of Frankenstein" is the only one I can live without, Great movie and a classic masterpiece but I have seen it many times and "THE CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI" fills the classic black and white slot, so if any film should be dropped I would vote for "The Bride of Frankenstein" however I know because history has proven Bruce and Joe will make the best possible decision!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:54 pm 

See, I'd far rather see HELLRAISER or PIT AND THE PENDULUM (1961) dropped over BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN. Both are newer films, and odds are higher that more people have seen HELLRAISER then BRIDE - certainly in the theatres.

All three of those films, incidentally, last played at a Columbus Horror Marathon the exact same year - NotLD2, way back in 1989.

Honestly, there isn't a single one of the announced films I would *want* to see dropped, and I have a feeling that picking a "go get dinner with my wife" film is going to be a painful choice this year. I suppose that, depending on the premiere, and depending on when it happens, that might be the best choice, but there isn't any part of the announced line-up I dislike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:12 pm 

Slither is the Lindsey Buckingham to Joe & Bruce's Wat Up Wit Dat!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:08 pm 

AEinhorn wrote:
See, I'd far rather see HELLRAISER or PIT AND THE PENDULUM (1961) dropped over BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN. Both are newer films, and odds are higher that more people have seen HELLRAISER then BRIDE - certainly in the theatres.

Ok compared to BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1935) PIT AND THE PENDULUM (1961) could be considered a "newer film" but compared to the fact that we are living in 2011 I still wouldn't call it a newer film :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:12 pm 

AEinhorn wrote:
HELLRAISER

Speaking of HELLRAISER I watched Andrew Robinson last night in the 80's Classic COBRA, Picked up the Blu-Ray at Wal-mart cheap. Still a fun movie!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:45 pm 

I think all of this "if one needs to be dropped" discussion is all moot, anyway. There are currently only 10 titles booked and they all clock in under 97 minutes. Three of them are actually less than 80 minutes long. Joe traditionally books at least 12 features, so there is still plenty of room for two more or even a guest. If things snowball, there's plenty of room for a thirteenth feature as well.

I doubt anything will be dropped for time this year. Maybe a print problem, like Inferno last year, but I would be surprised at a drop out due to lenghth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:37 pm 

I'm hoping that Flesh for Frankenstein will be presenting in 3D. Any word on that Joe?

I rather cut out some of the trailers than dropping whole movies. With the exception of Werewolves on Wheels. I'm guessing that if there's a runtime issue Slither will be sacrafice yet again.

By the way I consider newer movies to be 15 years or younger. I was around six or seven years old when Hellraiser was first release into theaters.

I'm guessing that Goke is dubbed into english. Not a fan of dubbed films. I want to see Goke so I will put up with the dubbing.

House of the Devil is a great scary film. I'm one of the few that purchase the dvd/vhs combo pack from Amazon. I pullled out my old ATSC tv tuner VCR/DVD recordable player just to watch it on VHS.

Bride is a classic.

Any word on the version of The Beyond? Cut or uncut? Film or optical disc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:56 pm 
Site Admin

To make it official: we'd be just north of pleased as punch to keep Slither in this year's lineup, and with two slots currently left open for premieres, I have a hard time believing (aiming the gun at my foot) that it'll be dropped.

not worldsfinest wrote:
Slither is the Lindsey Buckingham to Joe & Bruce's Wat Up Wit Dat!

By far, the quote of the week...of the month! Of the year!

Jaws3dfan wrote:
however I know because history has proven Bruce and Joe will make the best possible decision!!

Them's dangerous words, my friend. You do remember Automatons, right? Or showing Don't Look Now in the wee hours of the morning?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:00 pm 
Site Admin

Now get back to bickering in the Serbian Film thread! (Leaning back in easychair) I have my popcorn ready.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:13 pm 

You could always weigh in on THE SERBIAN FILM thread about why you would (or wouldn't) include it in the line-up...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next