The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:27 pm 
Site Admin

Although I know that some of you can't get enough of the Serbian Film-related discussion, there's far more to this year's Marathon than just potential screenings of foreign dehumanization epics. Hell, we're also celebrating the 100th birthday of a certifiable Hollywood and horror legend!

Vincent Price occupies a very dear and twisted section of my black heart. I was raised on a steady diet of classic Universal monsters, so Price was essentially the first horror star of the color era that made an impression on my child self. I didn't quite know how to express it at the time, but the fine balance of ham acting, over the top mania and serious dramatic chops that he brought to his roles always stuck with me. Or maybe it was the mustache.

But in any case, on the eve of our momentous tribute to Mr. Price, I ask this: which of his film performances is your favorite? Don't worry Leave it to Heaven and Laura fans, this choice doesn't have to be limited to his strictly horror roles. So whaddya say?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:20 pm 

My first introduction to the esteemed Mr. Price was as a cameo in the extremely obscure, madcap, star-studded romp from the late seventies called Scavenger Hunt. I have a weird, deeply personal relationship with this otherwise derivative, forgettable film as it was playing on a nearly endless loop, along with The Muppet Movie, on HBO when my family first delved into the cable television market when I was in grade school. I lost my VHS copy years ago, and don't own a VCR anymore anyway, so if someone knows where I can score a DVD of this I would greatly appreciate it.

In the years after that, I had seen him here and there on television (Batman, mostly, and Egghead was always one of my favorite obscure villains) all the way up to his Thriller voiceover, which I believe was more influential to the success of that video and the phenomena surrounding it than people give it credit for. By then, I had become at least slightly aware of his legacy, but never really understood it until I caught a revival of House of Wax back in the eighties during that brief 3D renaissance (beginning with the craptacular Comin' At Ya!, anyone remember that one? - besides Jaws3Dfan, of course).

Needless to say, that was quite the initiation for me into the genre he was most famous for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:48 am 

For my money, it was his dynamic performance as "The Amazing Alonzo" in an episode of Love Boat that sets the standard for quality acting!! ;)

Just kidding! For me, it's a tie between Prince Prospero in The Masque of the Red Death and Frederick Loren in House on Haunted Hill. Red Death was such a showcase of Price's range to go from creepy to humorous and back. House was a great example of how Price could be the dominating presence without even being onscreen. Kudos for the tribute to him this year!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:26 am 

IamJacksUserID wrote:
My first introduction to the esteemed Mr. Price was as a cameo in the extremely obscure, madcap, star-studded romp from the late seventies called Scavenger Hunt. I lost my VHS copy years ago, and don't own a VCR anymore anyway, so if someone knows where I can score a DVD of this I would greatly appreciate it.

Ask and you shall receive Click Here

And Yes I remember "Comin' At Ya" I even have the 3-D (Red/Blue) DVD that Rhino Video released many years ago, actually Tony Anthony took the original negatives for "Comin' At Ya" and processed them in Real-D format and it's making it's way thru the film festival circuit and is supposed to be coming to Blu-Ray 3-D soon Click Here for more info!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:35 am 

And now back to Vincent Price....

HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL will always be my favorite Vincent Price performance and my favorite Vincent Price Movie. One of the main reasons I attended the first ever horror marathon at the Historic Drexel North was because they were showing HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL.

The first time I ever saw HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL was on Chiller Theater with Fritz the Nite Owl and I remember being scared and hiding under my covers, my uncle recodered it on a VCR Tape and I watched it over and over, wish I knew what happened to the tape.

HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL started my life long love affair with Horror Films, Happy Birthday Vincent Price!!

Check out this video on YouTube: The Ghost of Vincent Price

"Some People Prefer the finer things in life, i'm alright just hanging out with the ghost of Vincent Price" - Wednesday 13

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:43 am 
Site Admin

Dr. Phibes. I'm ALL about Dr. Phibes. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:43 am 

It is hard to choose between House on Haunted Hilll and Hoiuse of Wax both of which I was able to see on the big screen when they were new.

Honorable mention to his role as the prosecutor of Jennifer Jiones in Song of Benadette.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:44 am 

Sorry, that's Jennifer JONES.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:40 pm 

That's one of those questions that has no right answer, just like "Which one of your kids do you love the most?" or "Have you stopped hitting your wife yet?"

But if I have to pick one performance by Mr. Price, it would almost certainly be Phibes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:27 pm 
Site Admin

Without a doubt, my favorite VP performance is in The Tomb of Ligeia

Altho, the Dr. Phibes movies hold a strong place in my heart as well. XD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:46 pm 

Theater of Blood is a great film. For comedy it's the Dr Goldfoot films.