The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:34 pm 

The director of YOUR HIGHNESS is doing a remake of Dario Argento's stylish epic SUSPIRIA.

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/column-po ... iria-36925

Is nothing sacred..................?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:56 am 

HELL NO. OH HELL NO. What is worng with people? There is no reason to remake said film.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:59 pm 
Site Admin

Oh, L.A., you sly dog, you. Ignoring David Gordon Green's first few highly acclaimed and visually lyrical films George Washington and All the Real Girls. Kinda like referring to Francis Coppola as the director of Jack. Okay, maybe that's not a perfect analogy, and in theory I'm against a Suspiria remake as much as anyone. But the original will always be there, and Green has shown enough artistic panache and love of film in his career that I'm willing to hear him out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:54 pm 

Green also did PINEAPPLE EXPRESS. Still, you can't really do a 'remake' of SUSPIRIA. It's truly is DARIO ARGENTO's SUSPIRIA. The "plot" is almost besides the point, it's all about Argento's style.

It recalls the ill-fated (and never aired) ROCKFORD FILES rehash. As the show's original producer (Stephen J Cannell) said, James Garner IS Rockford. The plot of a typical episode could be plugged into virtually any other P.I. show, it was Garner that was the essence of the show (the same could also be said for Peter Falk as Columbo).

To do a remake of SUPIRIA is pointless. Unless you completly ape what Argento did, you are just making a fairly generic horror movie that any hack in the system could churn out. And, if you do just copy and replicate Argento - that just proves you're a souless hack!

Green will lose either way.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:30 am 

How about Green do a musical remake of Sàlo 120 Days of Sodom instead? The dinner scene number will be unforgettable.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:56 am 

L.A. Connection wrote:
Green also did PINEAPPLE EXPRESS. Still, you can't really do a 'remake' of SUSPIRIA. It's truly is DARIO ARGENTO's SUSPIRIA. The "plot" is almost besides the point, it's all about Argento's style.

It recalls the ill-fated (and never aired) ROCKFORD FILES rehash. As the show's original producer (Stephen J Cannell) said, James Garner IS Rockford. The plot of a typical episode could be plugged into virtually any other P.I. show, it was Garner that was the essence of the show (the same could also be said for Peter Falk as Columbo).

To do a remake of SUPIRIA is pointless. Unless you completly ape what Argento did, you are just making a fairly generic horror movie that any hack in the system could churn out. And, if you do just copy and replicate Argento - that just proves you're a souless hack!

Green will lose either way.

This is my take too. I'm not really one to go into the whole OHMYGODICANTBELIEVETHEYREREMAKINGXXXXXXX!!!!!!! frenzy, but tackling Suspiria is one case that feels especially pointless since it is Argento's specific style that makes it so memorable. I'm not saying it can't be done, but this one seems extra difficult because it's hard to see how it can be "updated" or "refreshed," if you will. Or why you'd want to do that, for that matter. It's hard for me to envision how it can be different ... unless the plan is to not be that different, which, could be the most interesting route.

And, for the record, I've LOVED Green's drama work and generally liked his comedies.

All that said, of course I'll go see it.