The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:43 am 

L.A. Connection wrote:
I'm usually one that falls more with the "Critics" than "General Audiences", but, here, I'm all with the plebeians. CABIN has gotten extremely good reviews from mainstream critics and the fanboy press. But, as noted earlier - got only a "C" from regular filmgoers on opening night, and a rotten "D+" from women in general. This despite there being a lot of fanboys in attendence who usually give just about any mediocre genre item a "B" at least.
I won't go into any spoilers, but my biggest problem here was the set-up. It was just so hurriedly introduced, not to mention poorly and inelegantly, that the movie lost me almost from the get go. All suspense is sapped and all the LOOK AT ME AND MY OH SO CLEVER META MUSINGS!! fell on my deaf ears. I just gave up and wished for the killings to get over with.
I will grant that there are a few interesting baubles and bits along the way, but this is a major major disappointment. And, the audience I saw it with was pretty much dead quiet with more than a few "Huhs??!!" and "WTFs!!" - and, NOT in a good way.
Any Marathon showing is clearly Break/Dinner/Nap-time depending on one's preference for such.

P.S. Really like that Spoiler button thingee - will have to investigate for the Boston Board... :wink:

P.S.S. Mild Spoiler ++++++++++++

Spoiler: show
Interesting that there are more than a few parallels with THE HUNGER GAMES!

This from the same person who hates John Carpenter's The Thing... pardon me if I ignore all your past and future movie reviews. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:05 am 

L.A. Connection wrote:
I'm usually one that falls more with the "Critics" than "General Audiences", but, here, I'm all with the plebeians. CABIN has gotten extremely good reviews from mainstream critics and the fanboy press. But, as noted earlier - got only a "C" from regular filmgoers on opening night, and a rotten "D+" from women in general. This despite there being a lot of fanboys in attendence who usually give just about any mediocre genre item a "B" at least.

You are entitled to your opinion about the movie, even though you are wrong. But I don't see what an analysis of the opinions of others, including arbitrary rating systems, over generalizations and broad assumtions about the motivations of what you call "fanboys" has to do with anything.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:54 pm 

First of all, I've never said that I "hated" Carpenter's THE THING. It's an ok film, just not nearly worthy of the classic status of the original.

Second, the reason I mentioned others' opinion of CABIN was as a way of pointing out my own tastes in comparison. I tend to hew closer to upper echelon film critic evaluations than the general public's (not to mention the most fanboyish of fanboy nation).

I am a bit surprised myself that I think the general public is correct on CABIN and not critics or slavish fanboys. And, as I noted, the well attended screening I went to was almost dead silent, with more than a few confused and puzzled attendees.