The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:09 pm 

Stop reading this right now and go see THE CABIN IN THE WOODS.

No, seriously...

You won't get any spoilers from me, because the less you know, the better. If you have heard the hype, it is justified. If like me, you have avoided all information as much as possible, it was justified.

All you need to know is this: it is very much a horror movie. If you love horror movies, you will love this movie. In fact, this movie will probably help you understand exactly why you love horror movies. Truly an instant classic and a must for a future marathon, perhaps even as soon as this year.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:07 am 

I do plan on seeing this, though I'm not of the "I gotta see it the first weekend" school. Curious how CABIN may be setting up like DRAG ME TO HELL a couple of years ago. Film critics and the hippest fanboys loved DRAG, but general audiences were only lukewarm to it.

CABIN opened ok at the box office last night, but it got only a C from audiences and a woeful D+ from women. This despite extremely strong reviews from critics.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:25 am 

IamJacksUserID wrote:
Stop reading this right now and go see THE CABIN IN THE WOODS.

Same goes for The 3 Stooges

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:10 am 

Really?

I open up a serious discussion about something I'm excited about and this is all I get?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:21 am 

IamJacksUserID wrote:
Really?

I open up a serious discussion about something I'm excited about and this is all I get?

Actually I saw the 3 stooges and it was really good. I wanted to see Cabin in the woods first but the kids wanted to see stooges. I plan to see Cabin this weekend and I will post a comment than. I have intentionally avoided reviews, trailers, tv spots etc. as not to spoil the plot.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:10 am 

I dragged my wife to see this on my second viewing and she loved it, and she is decidedly not much of a genre geek. Some people are comparing it to SCREAM, but I don't really see that comparison. My wife said it reminded her a lot of SHAUN OF THE DEAD and I felt ashamed I hadn't thought of that because she nailed it.

There were a handful of very vocal negative reactions at both of my showings, which as LAConnection points out seems to be happening all over. I just don't get it and neither does my wife. She said "how can you not think that was a good movie even if you don't like horror?"

It looks like it opened up respectably this weekend, but who knows how much it will drop off. But if all you marathoids miss this thing while it's out there, it's your own damn fault.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:59 am 

It was OK. Nothing special. REC and the J Horror flim Deathtube did it better.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:48 pm 
Site Admin

IamJacksUserID wrote:
Really?

HA! What a dreamer you are!

But seriously, I meant to follow up on this thread last weekend, but things have been busy. I very much enjoyed how Whedon and company tweaked the self-referential horror film format for a 2012 audience, while still offering questions that apply to any era of terror fans. True, this format can be a bit emotionally distancing, but that's sorta the whole point of the exercise, no? And besides, the climax of CABIN is straight out of my 11-year old brain, and probably one of the more exhilarating setpieces of the year.

Plus, it features the always superb Richard Jenkins, who improves just about anything that he shows up in.

Hmmm....think we might have to start having a SPOILER-centric conversation soon, lest this thread turns into a lot of half-ideas and whispered references.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:41 am 

Hey Joe, as an admin you could add a "Spoiler" BBCode tag (See Example Below)

[SPOILER]Example[/SPOILER]

Anything in between the "Spoiler" BBCode tag will not be seen, the only thing seen is the word "Spoiler" and you have to click on it to read the Spoiler post.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:51 pm 
Site Admin

You mean ...

Spoiler: show
Like this?

Sorry, meant to add this earlier when we upgraded to phpBB3. Thanks for reminding me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:55 pm 

VitruvianZeke wrote:
You mean ...

Like this?

Sorry, meant to add this earlier when we upgraded to phpBB3. Thanks for reminding me.

PERFECT!!! You may want to announce this feature to the board

Lets the spoilers fly....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:40 pm 
Site Admin

Jaws3dfan wrote:
Hey Joe, as an admin you could add a "Spoiler" BBCode tag (See Example Below)

Example

Anything in between the "Spoiler" BBCode tag will not be seen, the only thing seen is the word "Spoiler" and you have to click on it to read the Spoiler post.

Yeah...I know. But I'd rather just wait a while until more people have seen it...or just change the thread to reflect spoiler content.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:00 pm 

Loved it. I know someone who hated it because they wanted a "serious" horror movie. But then they told me they laughed their asses off. I can see why someone would hate to laugh. Reminded me of when I saw Cabin Fever and the girls in front of us were laughing the whole time and getting grossed out during the gore scenes and even jumping at certain parts. After it ended, they walked out saying "that was the stupidest movie ever." Smiling and laughing sucks. :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:19 am 

MEATFETISH wrote:
Loved it. I know someone who hated it because they wanted a "serious" horror movie. But then they told me they laughed their asses off. I can see why someone would hate to laugh. Reminded me of when I saw Cabin Fever and the girls in front of us were laughing the whole time and getting grossed out during the gore scenes and even jumping at certain parts. After it ended, they walked out saying "that was the stupidest movie ever." Smiling and laughing sucks. :D

So what you are saying is, someone brought home some takeout Chinese, only to discover when they got home that somone else had ordered a pizza? Interesting that anyone could NOT like something because it's surprising or not exactly what they expected. It almost sounds like they are going to not enjoy something just out of spite. That's a weird, hipster mentality I just don't understand, similar to not letting yourself get excited enough about anything to want to see it on opening weekend because only lame "fanboys" get excited over stuff.

Movies are so ubiquitous nowadays, it is so difficult to surprise or even simply go in a direction you are not expecting. So for me, anything that manages that gets bonus points, and even more bonus points when it's good. And now on to some spoilers so I can illustrate just where this movie turned for me.

Throughout, I was thinking "Oh, this is clever. That was cute. What a clever thing to do there." Then it reaches a climax, and then...

...the phone rings.

"Which one?"

"I kinda dismembered that guy with a trowel, what have you been up to?"

Then... OMG THE PURGE!

Those events elevate this into "instant classic" territory as opposed to "clever little movie."

And one more thing...
Despite the crazy chaotic direction this movie ultimately goes in, there is a ton of subtlety that is rewarding on a second viewing. From little things like the knife being shocked out of the Virgin's hand, to more far reaching themes. For example, did anyone else pick up on the fact that the "real life" characters were actually manipulated into their stereotypes for the purposes of the ritual? Throw away lines like "he's a Sociology major" and "I don't see how this helps us now" allow you to put all the pieces together.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:58 pm 

I'm usually one that falls more with the "Critics" than "General Audiences", but, here, I'm all with the plebeians. CABIN has gotten extremely good reviews from mainstream critics and the fanboy press. But, as noted earlier - got only a "C" from regular filmgoers on opening night, and a rotten "D+" from women in general. This despite there being a lot of fanboys in attendence who usually give just about any mediocre genre item a "B" at least.
I won't go into any spoilers, but my biggest problem here was the set-up. It was just so hurriedly introduced, not to mention poorly and inelegantly, that the movie lost me almost from the get go. All suspense is sapped and all the LOOK AT ME AND MY OH SO CLEVER META MUSINGS!! fell on my deaf ears. I just gave up and wished for the killings to get over with.
I will grant that there are a few interesting baubles and bits along the way, but this is a major major disappointment. And, the audience I saw it with was pretty much dead quiet with more than a few "Huhs??!!" and "WTFs!!" - and, NOT in a good way.
Any Marathon showing is clearly Break/Dinner/Nap-time depending on one's preference for such.

P.S. Really like that Spoiler button thingee - will have to investigate for the Boston Board... :wink:

P.S.S. Mild Spoiler ++++++++++++

Interesting that there are more than a few parallels with THE HUNGER GAMES!