The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:35 pm 

BLU RAY and HD look great on a 50 INCH screen at home. Like $#!+ on a 50 foot one.

willcail wrote:
I dissagree Blu Ray is an excellent format to present films. I just watched Grapes of Wrath on Blu Ray and it look great. We can't hold onto picture tube televisions and VHS cassette decks or other relics from the 1980's and 1990's.

I started buliding my film/TV library when DVD format was released. I now have an Samsung LED HDTV 1080p 24 with a LG Blu Ray player. I'm slowly replacing the inferior DVD copies of some of my movies with the Blu Ray ed. HD doesn't look like s**t.VHS does. Some film prints as well. Time to live in the 21st century. Digital projections and disrto movies on Blu Ray or other digital projection means are here to stay.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:35 pm 

I still disagree when Manborg and Battle Royale was video projected onto the screen via Blu Ray at this year's Science Fiction Marathon the picture of both films look great better than film. 35mm is going away and it is time to face it.

I like 35mm films. The studios think it is time to do away with the medium and move towards digital at 48 frames per second. The Hobbit wasn't shot on 35mm. It was shot using Red cameras with SSD. When the film comes out I will seek a theater that will digitally project the film at 48 fps. When Dark Knight Rise comes out I'll watch the IMAX print since the last hour was shot on IMAX cameras. In my opinion that the only movies that will be on film will be on IMAX 3 pref 70mm film stock.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:59 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:
*It's about high time that Re-Animator and the Evil Dead films made their way back in the lineup. Despite what we the vets might think, there's a whole new generation of Marathoid Mutants who've never seen these flicks on the BIG SCREEN. Jeffrey Combs is a guest that we're always ready to pursue, so we might hold off on his film(s) until we see if he's amenable to coming out. Oh yeah, there's also another landmark splatter film that's celebrating its 20th anniversary this year....hint hint.....

BAD TASTE was not released in 1992, but there was a "landmark splatter film" (cut from similar cloth as the EVIL DEAD franchise) that year from the same (Oscar winning!) director, who would work with Jeffery Combs 4 years later. The uncensored version of THAT film is welcome with open arms in any horror marathon... Just make sure you have a PERRRRRmit!

I saw a screening of RE-ANIMATOR a few years ago with Combs in attendance, and he is a wonderful, generous and engaging person. He would be a delightful guest choice for our little get together if you ever have the means. And he doesn't seem bored with talking about the things he is most famous for, unlike some "special" guests whom I've seen at festivals **COUGH COUGH Lin COUGH da COUGH Blair COUGH**

I almost posted recently in this thread about a newly struck (or digitized, or whatever you call it) 4K version of JAWS that was making the rounds. I'm pretty sure the Grandview does not have non-disk digital projection capabilities, but that would be my official for-no-reason-other-than-a-hunch-but-I'm-probably-wrong-because-I-always-am guess for the "likely to be unavailable from here on out" that Joe "accidentally" teased.

I have no idea what the availability of something like JAWS is on 35mm, but that would be one of only a handful of exceptions in the repertory category where a digital alternative would be acceptable if it's never going to be available. Joe said "there's still a whole lotta 35mm films out there that we can get." That should always be the preferred format for this type of theater-going experience.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:24 pm 

P.S. On a side note, I wanted to give a personal shout out to the esteemed Mr. Neff for taking an active role in our little community year after year. It's nice to have real-time reactions and feedback and it's nice to feel like we have a voice.

I imagine if you were in charge of the SCiFi Marathon, you would have shown JASON X years ago...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:09 pm 

Slither

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:55 am 

IamJacksUserID wrote:
I have no idea what the availability of something like JAWS is on 35mm, but that would be one of only a handful of exceptions in the repertory category where a digital alternative would be acceptable if it's never going to be available. Joe said "there's still a whole lotta 35mm films out there that we can get." That should always be the preferred format for this type of theater-going experience.

A collector very close to the Marathon owns a 35mm print of JAWS.....just sayin'

Last edited by Jaws3dfan on Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:56 am 

not worldsfinest wrote:
Slither

That'd *never* happen.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:03 am 

Joe Neff wrote:
*I finally saw Halloween III late last summer (thought I posted about it on this forum, but now I can't find any such topic.) And yeah, it's pretty damn enjoyable and fairly underrated. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a classic, but it's worth checking out, and nothing that I would automatically poo poo for a prospective lineup spot one of these days.

Very good news, hope this happens as a 35mm showing

Joe Neff wrote:
I also recently revisited the first two Halloween films on Blu-Ray, and Tim, now more than ever I'm not sure why you don't like Dario Argento. 'Cause H2 has Italian Horror visuals and lighting schemes all over it.

I like Italian Horror just not Susperia

Joe Neff wrote:
And as with part 3, it's fairly underrated, although I can also buy into Aaron's point about showing a sequel that so heavily relies on a viewing of part 1. When we showed Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, it didn't necessarily require a knowledge of the first film, so absurd and strange a reboot of the initial concept it was. Same with Aliens; seeing the first film enriches Ripley's character development in the sequel, but you can still appreciate it as a standalone film.

Lets face it, if you have not seen the origianl HALLOWEEN your probably not attending a Horror Marathon so show Halloween II and forget about the 1 person in the theater asking themselves "who is Micheal Myers?"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:42 am 

Jaws3dfan wrote:
IamJacksUserID wrote:

A collector very close to the Marathon has owns a 35mm print of JAWS.....just sayin'

Well, with that knowledge...
kinda weird it's never been shown at a marathon, huh?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:56 pm 

A brand new 35mm print of JAWS is playing in L.A. on June 24th.

I'd also chime in that a reason why JAWS hasn't appeared at a horror marathon is the same as why I've never seen it associated with any horror fests in Boston or L.A. either - it's more a Hollywood blockbuster action flick than true horror. Sure, there is an overlap, and it certainly was the first film that made many of a certain age lose their popcorn, but, it really has more in common with the likes of DIE HARD & RAMBO than THE EXORCIST or FRIDAY THE 13TH in the public's consciousnes.

And, even a mediocre 35mm private print would look better than Blu Ray! :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:18 pm 

I rather have the far superior digital projection than a wash out, scratchy, medium that is going away of the dodo bird. It time to move on to a better format. In five years time 35mm will be gone.
The Amazing Spider Man was shot on Red Cameras. No film was used.

The 35mm format is fine for now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:10 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:30 am 

What do you mean by that picture? :wink:

Anyway how about some Hammer films?

Creepy horror centric dolls movies

Dolls
Child's Play

anything from the Something Weird Video library

Children of the Corn original Another creepy children horror centric flim.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:10 am 

If we're talking creepy children, why not creepy children with radioactive black fingernails in the very strange, very odd flick, The Children (80)? So the friday prior to the thon, a few of my mates and I do a Prethon-a-thon and last year we watched the British version of The Children (08), of which, turned out to be not too shabby. It definitely fits the mold of creepy children and bad parenting.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:15 am 

Worldsfinest wrote:
If we're talking creepy children, why not creepy children with radioactive black fingernails in the very strange, very odd flick, The Children (80)?

Fun Movie, I would like to see it on the big screen

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next