The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:08 pm 

Just pre-ordered Halloween II and III from Shout (Scream) Factory on Blu-Ray. That would be a blast to see either of those (Although I think I'm in the minority with part III).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:30 pm 

The problem with sequels being shown at the marathons, for me at least, is all a part of how dependent they are on the viewer having seen the previous films.

"Wrath of Kahn" assumes that you're familiar with "Star Trek" in general, but doesn't really require having seen "Star Trek: TMP".

Similarly, there are a lot of films that as long as you're familiar with the idea in general, you don't really need to have seen a specific entry in the franchise in order for it to make sense. In this way, "Friday the 13th VI" is actually less good of a choice for a marathon film than "Jason X". "Part VI" is, in many ways, the better film. But it really relies on knowing Tommy from the earlier films. If you don't know Tommy, a lot of what makes "Part VI" a fun film falls apart. "Jason X" is, by most objective standards, pretty awful. But all you need to know about Jason you get early in the film.

In this way, since "Halloween II" is a complete continuation of "Halloween", I actually think it's not the best choice - despite being one of my favorite films in the franchise.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:58 pm 

@AEinhorn - I can see your logic in that. So bring on Halloween III (you don't need knowledge of any of it!)
Just my plug for that movie.

Any chance of Evil Dead goodness? (especially with the new one coming out in the future?)

1 or 2 - because it's kind of the same story.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:41 pm 

depechemodeone wrote:
Any chance of Evil Dead goodness? (especially with the new one coming out in the future?)

Ooh, that'd be awesome. We've had both "Evil Dead II" and "Army of Darkness" in the past, but I'd be more than happy to see them again.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:01 pm 

One of the Evil Dead trilogy would be amazing or any Bruce Campbell movie would be great.
My Name Is Bruce
Bubba Ho-Tep
Maniac Cop
Jaws the Remastered Edition.
Not a traditional horror film but We Need To Talk About Kevin is an incredible psychological thriller and is kind of a horror film and plays like a bad seed kind of picture.
Drive Angry
The Wicker Man both versions. Both great for very different reasons.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:29 pm 

depechemodeone wrote:
Just pre-ordered Halloween II and III from Shout (Scream) Factory on Blu-Ray. That would be a blast to see either of those (Although I think I'm in the minority with part III).

I ordered mine today, can't wait to get my Free Poster and Nurse Hat :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:24 am 

IMHO, Halloween II is arguably one of the best horror sequels ever made. It keeps most of the base material intact, adds to the body count (and sexy time), as well as, adding a little ridiculous (SAMHAIN) to the recipe.

I wouldn't mind seeing Halloween III in part because is sways so left of center from the original Halloween mythos that it's more of a guilty pleasure than great horror flick. I compare Halloween III to Over the Top and Roadhouse. No matter where you are, what time of day, when it comes on Spike TV you think to yourself , "Dear god what the hell is this!?" Next thing you know you, you've wasted 2 hours rooting for Lincoln Hawk and Dalton and the same goes for Dr. Challis.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:16 pm 

Halloween III is a very underrated film! If it was just called Season of the Witch and wasn't tied to the Michael Meyers franchise, people would show it a lot more respect and I'd even bet on it being considered a minor classic. It deserves some marathon love. It played at the Chicago marathon about 4 or 5 years ago and went over like gangbusters! What with the commercial sing-along opportunities, the overly-virile and sexist Tom Atkins, druids, and stonehenge! What is with the back-handed compliments? Embrace the genius that is Hallloween III Season of the Witch.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:45 pm 

MEATFETISH wrote:
Halloween III is a very underrated film! If it was just called Season of the Witch and wasn't tied to the Michael Meyers franchise, people would show it a lot more respect and I'd even bet on it being considered a minor classic. It deserves some marathon love. It played at the Chicago marathon about 4 or 5 years ago and went over like gangbusters! What with the commercial sing-along opportunities, the overly-virile and sexist Tom Atkins, druids, and stonehenge! What is with the back-handed compliments? Embrace the genius that is Hallloween III Season of the Witch.

Couldn't said it better myself, I love Halloween III but I think most people blow it off due to the lack of Micheal Myers. John Carpenter and Debra Hill agreed to participate in the new Halloween project only if it was not a direct sequel to Halloween II, which meant no Michael Myers

Tommy Lee Wallace told Fangoria that he created the title of the film as a reference to "a plot point"—the three masks featured in the film—and an attempt to connect this film with the others in the series. He explained in the interview the direction that Carpenter and Hill wanted to take the Halloween series, stating, "It is our intention to create an anthology out of the series, sort of along the lines of Night Gallery, or The Twilight Zone, only on a much larger scale, of course." Each year, a new film would be released that focused on some aspect of the Halloween season.

The story of Michael Myers was over and the title of HALLOWEEN was to live on........

I think a Tom Atkins double feature would be awesome Halloween III and Night of the Creeps!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:09 am 

I don't mind having Halloween Season of the Witch screen this year.

What is this remake of The Wicker Man you speak of?

Here are some animal theme horror flims:

Slugs
Grizzly
Rats
Willard original
Willard remake One of the few remakes I like.
Squrim
Frogs
Alligator
The Birds
Cujo
Cat's Eye
Ticks

Children theme horror films
The Children 1980
Children of the Damned original
The Devil Times Five
Village of the Damned
Bloody Birthday

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:50 am 

You guys really need to put some water on your panties. There was no disrespect in my post at all, so stop crying like little girls!! lol

I said, I enjoyed Halloween III because of it's left of center take. It's a fine film, not great but very good. To me, it's a guilty pleasure, I'll neither own it nor go out of my way to see it. However, if it's attached to the marathon (which I wouldn't mind) or if it's on cable, HBO or whatever, I have no problem sitting down and wasting a few hours. I agree, that commercial jingle is catchy as hell!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:22 pm 
Site Admin

So yeah, ya know I hardly ever directly response to the request threads, if for no other reason than that they get overwhelming after a page or so. But ironically enough, they also mirror our dilemma as Shock Around the Clock programmers: with the Grandview's reel to reel projection capabilities, we have access to so many interesting titles that it's a challenge to narrow them down for one lineup's worth of filmic goodness.

That being said, here's my take on some of the titles listed herein:

*I finally saw Halloween III late last summer (thought I posted about it on this forum, but now I can't find any such topic.) And yeah, it's pretty damn enjoyable and fairly underrated. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a classic, but it's worth checking out, and nothing that I would automatically poo poo for a prospective lineup spot one of these days. I also recently revisited the first two Halloween films on Blu-Ray, and Tim, now more than ever I'm not sure why you don't like Dario Argento. 'Cause H2 has Italian Horror visuals and lighting schemes all over it. And as with part 3, it's fairly underrated, although I can also buy into Aaron's point about showing a sequel that so heavily relies on a viewing of part 1. When we showed Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, it didn't necessarily require a knowledge of the first film, so absurd and strange a reboot of the initial concept it was. Same with Aliens; seeing the first film enriches Ripley's character development in the sequel, but you can still appreciate it as a standalone film.

*I finally saw We Need to Talk About Kevin last night, as it skipped the Columbus market this winter. And yes, aside from The Bad Seed, it's also very reminiscent of Rosemary's Baby in its somewhat antiseptically horrifying take on maternal fears. The always great Tilda Swinton is a knockout a the paranoid mother, and John C. Reilly's patented everyman schtick is perfect for his role.

*It's about high time that Re-Animator and the Evil Dead films made their way back in the lineup. Despite what we the vets might think, there's a whole new generation of Marathoid Mutants who've never seen these flicks on the BIG SCREEN. Jeffrey Combs is a guest that we're always ready to pursue, so we might hold off on his film(s) until we see if he's amenable to coming out. Oh yeah, there's also another landmark splatter film that's celebrating its 20th anniversary this year....hint hint.....

*In the ongoing 35mm vs. Blu-Ray debate, I remain a bit catholic in my views. Ultimately, I had no problem with showing Green Slime on DVD, as there will probably never be another screenable 35mm print of it (and since everyone and his brother have been chasing after it for so many years.) It didn't hurt that the DVD mastering was excellent. In fact, it solidified my belief that screening a strong digital copy of another film that we've been pursuing for awhile but which is likely to be unavailable from here on out on 35mm is a real option for this fall (but there I go, teasing something with no intent of revealing anything for several months.)

Premieres are also an area where Blu-Ray is increasingly the only option available. But there's still a whole lotta 35mm films out there that we can get. Right now, I'd rather hold off on repertory digital screenings unless the demand is as strong as in the Green Slime case. Besides, we'll be having more of this debate in the coming years, as the question of film projector availability is Columbus becomes more pronounced. In the meantime, hail to the Grandview Theater for their continued dedication to film as a viable format.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:38 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:
*I finally saw We Need to Talk About Kevin last night, as it skipped the Columbus market this winter. And yes, aside from The Bad Seed, it's also very reminiscent of Rosemary's Baby in its somewhat antiseptically horrifying take on maternal fears. The always great Tilda Swinton is a knockout a the paranoid mother, and John C. Reilly's patented everyman schtick is perfect for his role. ...
Premieres are also an area where Blu-Ray is increasingly the only option available. But there's still a whole lotta 35mm films out there that we can get. Right now, I'd rather hold off on repertory digital screenings unless the demand is as strong as in the Green Slime case. Besides, we'll be having more of this debate in the coming years, as the question of film projector availability is Columbus becomes more pronounced. In the meantime, hail to the Grandview Theater for their continued dedication to film as a viable format.

I've been surprised to read here and elsewhere that WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN is anywhere close to be a horror genre item. The fine Director, Lynne Ramsay (RATCATCHER), is an arthouse favorite and not really in tune with the mechanics of horror cinema. Sure, I can sort of see some thematic overlap, but KEVIN is a moody brilliantly elliptical and stylish indie. It also will be near the head of my Top Ten films of 2011 list (if I ever get around to it!). Ramsay at one time was linked to THE LOVELY BONES. It would have been interesting to see what she did with the material. Certainly, it would have been far less fanciful and CGI-filled than Peter Jackson's fascinating misfire.

As to DVD projection. It's not just an option. It is quickly becoming a necessity. All the studios are conspiring to virtually eradicate 35mm prints from their distribution plans. Stiil, based on what I've seen of DVD projection in Boston and L.A., I would have to be convinced that GREEN SLIME looked as good as the reviews out of Columbus. Even Blu Ray looks like $#!+ to me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:00 pm 

I would like to see The Evil Dead again. In my opinion for me the golden era of the 24 hour horror marathon was at the Studio 35 having my copy of the Evil Dead Book of the Dead sign by Bruce himself. Back on topic.

I'm guessing that the splatter horror classic that Joe is hinted is Bad Taste. I don't think Redneck Zombies, in my opinion is the film. Since RZ is a Troma Film. I don't mind seeing Redneck Zombies at the horror thon. It would be ok to video project since the movie was "filmed" using VHS cassettes.

I don't really see We Need to Talk About Kevin a good fit. I like the film. There are better "bad seed" films that are more horror centric.

Re Animator is fine. In my opinion a print might be easier to get.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:18 pm 

I dissagree Blu Ray is an excellent format to present films. I just watched Grapes of Wrath on Blu Ray and it look great. We can't hold onto picture tube televisions and VHS cassette decks or other relics from the 1980's and 1990's.

I started buliding my film/TV library when DVD format was released. I now have an Samsung LED HDTV 1080p 24 with a LG Blu Ray player. I'm slowly replacing the inferior DVD copies of some of my movies with the Blu Ray ed. HD doesn't look like s**t.VHS does. Some film prints as well. Time to live in the 21st century. Digital projections and disrto movies on Blu Ray or other digital projection means are here to stay.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next