The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:33 am 

A friend of mine is interested in coming, and wonders if she can bring her kid? I thought it was OK, and then saw that the theater sells beer and such, so I thought I'd ask here...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:54 am 

The technical answer is "Yes". Provided there's a parent with them, then children can be at the marathons without an issue. The theater serves beer, but it's not a bar.

That said, depending on the age of the child in question, your friend will probably want to closely watch the titles and may want to do a little research into them before deciding which films are appropriate for their kid.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:41 am 

AEinhorn wrote:
depending on the age of the child in question, your friend will probably want to closely watch the titles and may want to do a little research into them before deciding which films are appropriate for their kid.

The sci-fi marathon has always been the more family friendly of the two marathons, horror movies tend to have scenes of graphic violence, nudity and adult language. So like AEinhorn said do a little research on the films before bringing them unless you don't censor what they watch than bring them and have a great time.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:09 am 

Which is why I phrased it the way I did. There's a world of difference in possible parenting approaches, and it also depends on the age of said kid. Taking a mature, responsible 15-year-old who has already been exposed to a decent degree of violence and nudity and language is a very different thing than taking your 9-year-old who likes Frankenstein and the Wolfman. :)

I'm not a big believer in someone else censoring what your kid is allowed to see/hear. I am a big believer in being a responsible parent and trying to determine when your kid is able to process what.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:52 am 

I seem to remember a fair amount of kids, well teenagers, at the Marathons I've attended. I was more worried about the rules around also having alcohol, but it seems like this won't be a problem. Thanks for the fast fast fast responses :)