The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:15 pm 
Site Admin

And if our recommendations of KILL LIST aren't enough, here's an outstanding endorsement from Richard Metzger's DANGEROUS MINDS blog.

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/ben_wheatleys_kill_list_will_creep_you_out

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:46 pm 

Is The Devil going to be uncut? Since Google's Youtube doesn't violate copyright law according to Google's lawers. I might watch the full movie of Werewolves on Wheels witch is posted on Youtube.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:55 pm 
Site Admin

We'll have to wait to see what WB sends us, but the truly uncut version of THE DEVILS (with the infamous Rape of Christ sequence, among several others, intact) is likely to never be distributed.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:20 am 

Just purchased my ticket. I love online ordering! I don't even have to change out of my pjs.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:20 am 

I hope it was OK to buy my ticket, too - I saw the above post and got excited :) :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:44 am 

This year is going to be a wait and see. I might have to work that weekend. I'll try to use some of my vacation days.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:46 am 

Great Lineup!!! Yes I would rather see a Vincent Price movie that has not played at a marathon in the past however, Dr. Phibes and House on Haunted Hill never get old and I will see them anytime they are shown on the big screen.

The trailer for WEREWOLVES ON WHEELS is way better than the movie but in a marathon setting I think it will be a hit.

Ok I am seeing a annual pattern with movies that have tarantula scenes and this years title is SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES.

DEAD ALIVE is the title gauranteed to draw people to the marathon. Love the movie and it never gets old.

WHITE ZOMBIE a horror film so good it spawned the best Rock Group of the 90's (also helped that the rest of the music in the 90's sucked a$$)

VIDEODROME I still remember when this showed at the Sci-Fi marathon, good crossover film.

Never seen POSSESSION but it looks good.

THE DEVILS - Great 69 eyes CD!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:05 pm 

Really good schedule overall. Sounds like fun. If I lived in the area...etc.etc. (but, hey, you never know).

I've never been a big fan of AMERICAN WEREWOLF - I am from the camp that thinks Joe Dante's THE HOWLING was much more fun and far less overblown. Saw VIDEODROME again in Boston for the SF Marathon a year or so ago. It's still a mess after several viewings, but, it does have some interesting things in it, and more Blondie nudity than I remembered (how could I have forgotten???). PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE didn't impress me the first time around, but with all the talk of Paul Williams' documentary (PAUL WILLIAMS STILL ALIVE) it's worth another look.

The print of POSSESSION that played L.A. was supposedly 'complete', so I assume you are getting the same. Too bad about THE DEVILS on DVD, but, believe me, folks out there are pulling teeth to get 35mm prints of Ken Russell stuff, but the studios don't give a @$##! Amazingly, a local house managed to pry a 35mm print of LISZTOMANIA this weekend. Would love to see SOMETHING WICKED again. Only saw it when I reviewed the film for my college paper. Liked it then, and with Ray's passing it's perfect.

How is the print for WHITE ZOMBIE? Even the best DVD edition (Roan) is pretty mediocre, sadly.

I guess THE DEVILS and POSSESSION will have to suffice for the 'Outrage' slot this year, but, they probably won't send anybody fleeing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:54 pm 

No Slither announcement this year? Boo I was digging the tradition of it LOL How about just showing Night of the creeps next year? :twisted:

But seriously Joe, this line up is bad ass to the hilt...Excited about seeing The Devils on the big screen again!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:15 pm 

This is indeed a fabulous lineup. I'm very excited. However, as I was driving around running errands today listening to "Somebody Super Like You", I realized that Joe, you have a big job to do this year. Since it was YOUR idea to get Phantom Of The Paradise, it is YOUR responsibility to keep me from singing during the movie. Fair warning :)

And could Something Wicked This Way Comes mean that there is a possibility of someday seeing Watcher In The Woods at a marathon? If Disney horror is going to be tolerated, I officially throw this suggestion into the hat.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:16 pm 

I agree with the Watcher in the Woods nomination. And when we finally get Slither, You should pair it with Super. Not quite Horror but certainly violent enough for the 4:00am slot.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:31 pm 

crazycal wrote:
I agree with the Watcher in the Woods nomination. And when we finally get Slither, You should pair it with Super. Not quite Horror but certainly violent enough for the 4:00am slot.

With all the trouble we've had trying to show one James Gunn movie, I'd hate to see what would happen if they tried to book two in the same marathon. Perhaps we would end up with both Scooby Doo movies?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:28 am 

I still have the Anchor Bay DVD of Watcher in the Woods. It is still better than the Disney DVD. I rather put up with the windowboxing than not having the original ending.

Is it too late to try to get a copy of Frankeinweenie? The short film of course to screen before Something?

By the way the animated short Vincient consider to be a Disney production. That short was screened a last year or the year before.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:04 am 

is it possible to include the trailer for The Hunger? Due to Tony Scott's suicide?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:48 pm 

I'll put in a request for the trailer for Wes Craven's Swamp Thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzbqK4nw3R8