The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TRAILER WAR!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:08 pm 

Not sure if this would work at either the Horror or SF Marathons out there, but I personally can't wait to see this:

http://drafthousefilms.com/blog/entry/d ... railer_war

TRAILER for this film about Trailers here (Warning NSFW): http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... DD6S8MuECQ

DRAFTHOUSE FILMS UNLEASHES EXPLOITATION COMPILATION “TRAILER WAR”
September 28, 2012 by Casey Warnick

The Alamo Drafthouse, The American Genre Film Archive and filmmaker Joe Dante come together to present the Ultimate Trailer Collection! Rescued from impending destruction and donated by Tim League, these rare 35mm prints and trailers will blow your mind! Read on for the official press release...
AUSTIN, TX – Drafthouse Films, the film distribution arm of the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, has partnered with the American Genre Film Archive to release Trailer War, a meticulously curated feature-length program of vintage, rare 35mm coming attraction trailers. Each of the selections are presented for the first time in high-definition and most have been previously unavailable on any home video format. A theatrical tour presented in 35mm is planned for December 2012 and pre-order is available now for DVD/Blu-ray fan packs which will be available December 18th exclusively on http://www.DrafthouseFilms.com. Animal Protector and Amuck, both featured on the compilation, are available now as free digital downloads in HD here: http://t.opsp.in/a0Fv5.

Post subject: Re: TRAILER WAR!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:55 pm 

I want to see this. Is it too late to book this film for the 12th entry?

1000 post. Hope for another 1000.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:39 pm 

A lot of these trailers are out on various comps including Stephen Romano's Shock Festival,FEstival of Fright Vol.1-3 and Ken Kish's 6 trailer comps from Cinema Wasteland.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:23 pm 

This comp is in HD and its legal.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:02 pm 

I wouldn't mind seeing this in another setting, but personally, I don't see the need for a feature length collection of trailers compiled by someone else at one of our Marathons.

Bruce's trailer reels always give our Marathons character, and a character which is unique to our event. So, I appreciate what he puts together year after year just fine. No need for someone else's schtick taking up a feature's space.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:47 pm 

I kind of agree. I like to have trailers - I am one of the hardy souls who endured the trailerthon - but I like the way Bruce assembles them. I don't need one of our features to be someone else's collection of trailers.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:02 am 

During the third Nightmare at Studio 35 there was a trailer comp title The Teenage UFO Psycho Monster Sex Show. Just to point that out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:17 am 

Which I wasn't at. :)

I'm not saying that having this feature booked would be a turn off for me. I'm not saying I'd leave, or not watch it, or that it would make me not want to buy a ticket. I'm just saying that I'd rather watch Bruce's compositions of trailers than someone else's "feature film" of it.

I like trailers. There's a reason I include them in my recaps. So would I watch "Trailer War"? You bet.

But I'd rather see what Bruce could put together - and if we were short a film in the line-up, I'm sure he could fill it with trailers and shorts. But I'd rather have another feature than a whole three reels of trailers. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:32 am 

That was my first horror marathon and the first marathon overall. Joe Bob Briggs was there to introduce Carrie. For me the Nightmare at Studio 35 marathons was the golden era. The time that there were guests.

Hey Trailer War would be alot better than Electroma and The turd known as The Captains.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:57 am 

I think that this type of movie would be more fun at a marathon than watching it at home.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:12 pm 

The true "golden era" was at the The Drexel North starting in 1987. Epic.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:23 pm 

It would work better in a marathon setting. In this day and age of the marathons it is harder to book first run films. Kill List is on DVD/Blu Ray already. I just want to see a true premire.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:56 pm 
Site Admin

For the record, KILL LIST is not being advertised as a premiere. It's just a really powerful film that's received great reviews in the last year, that we figured most of the audience hasn't seen (and definitely hasn't seen on film) and that would play well in a theatrical setting.

As I stated on the Fat Guys podcast, I'm still all for booking true local premieres when possible. But if it comes down to booking two premieres that are likely to be crud (just to say that we have premieres) or booking two strong recent features that most of the audience hasn't seen, I'd much rather go with the latter.

And no, it's not as easy to book those true premieres as it once was. The proliferation of weeklong festivals like Fantastic Fest, etc. has caused some distributors to be much more selective with which of their films they allow for one-time screening. Yes, all of you know about the tradition and reach of our humble event. But to many studios, we don't run like a normal festival, so we're not as high on their list.

On a side note, I guess that depending on when they started attending, everyone has their own golden age. I'll always be immensely proud of the Studio 35 days, but my golden age will always be the Drexel North. But in many ways, the two are apples and oranges.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:42 pm 

Studio 35 years have Joe Bob Briggs, Bruce Campbell, and George A Romero. Name one well known person that was a guess at the Drexel North era that currenty have a successful basic cable tv show.

Kinights of Badassdom doesn't have distrbution yet.