The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:25 pm 
Site Admin

Boy, those theatre seats sure can do a number on you after 15-16 hours.

It’s alive! Back from the dead once again to take you on a terrifying plunge into your deepest cinematic nightmares! Stock up on silver bullets and say your prayers, because it’s time for

SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK!

The 4th Annual Ohio 24-Hour Horror Marathon!

Noon October 20-Noon October 21 at the Grandview Theatre

(1247 Grandview Ave., Columbus, Ohio)

Spend an entire rotation of the planet with longtime Nightmarathon masterminds Bruce Bartoo and Joe Neff, as they ring in Shock-tober with a twisted cavalcade of fright film classics, rediscovered gems, cult obscurities and area premieres from the cutting edge of the genre.

This year’s celebration of cinematic excess will inlcude:

*John Landis's modern classic of lycanthropic terror, AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON

*An ultra-rare 35MM screening of the oft-requested WEREWOLVES ON WHEELS

*Glam rock meets gothic horror in Brian De Palma's cult classic PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE

*Sam Neill and Isabelle Adjani in a BRAND NEW UNCUT 35MM print of Polish madman Andrzej Zulawski's gonzo, bonkers, totally insane, ultimate divorce/horror nightmare POSSESSION

*A tribute to the late Ken Russell with a rare screening of his still controversial, shattering masterpiece THE DEVILS

*James Woods and Debbie Harry in David Cronenberg’s sexually transgressive, gory and disturbing fever dream VIDEODROME

*A tribute to the late Ray Bradbury with the haunting film adaptation of SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES

*Vincent Price’s quest for Biblical revenge in the Art Deco-drenched cult classic THE ABOMINABLE DR. PHIBES (also in tribute to the late Robert Fuest)

*Ben Wheatley’s nerve-shredding, senses-destroying 2011 hit man horror shocker KILL LIST

*A 20th anniversary screening of the undisputed king of all gore and splatter films, Peter Jackson’s DEAD ALIVE

*A celebration of Bela Lugosi’s 130th birthday (October 20th) with an ultra-rare 35mm screening of WHITE ZOMBIE

We’re also pursuing one or two other premieres or classics to add or substitute into the lineup. Keep yer eyes peeled for the latest information through this site and our Facebook and Twitter pages.

PLUS!
-The 4th Annual Costume Contest, with $100 first prize and the return of the giant check!

-The 4th Annual Scream Contest!

-Coffinloads of prizes!

-Trailers, trailers and more trailers and shorts from the Nightmarathon archives!

-Official Shock Certificate to all who survive! Suitable for framing…or hanging!

-And more surprises!

Tickets for the 3rd Annual SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK are $35 in advance or $40 at the door (cash or charge only) and can be purchased, starting Monday August 20th at:

Grandview Theatre
1247 Grandview Avenue
Columbus, Ohio
614-358-2886
info@grandviewtheatre.net
(Hours may vary. Consult the theatre's website for showtimes.)

Laughing Ogre Comics
4258 N. High St.
Columbus, Ohio
highstreet@laughingogrecomics.com
Mon. and Tues. 11:00-7:00
Wed. through Sat. 10:00-8:00
Sunday 12:00-6:00

Tickets may also be purchased online via PayPal (a $2.00 per ticket service fee is included). Check the TICKETS link at http://www.horrormarathon.com.

And those wishing to purchase by mail order can do so via check or money order payable to the Grandview Theatre (please add $1 per order service fee), sent to:

Horror Marathon
Grandview Theatre
PO Box 12129
Columbus OH 43212

For all the latest Nightmarathon-related news, visit the Official SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK website at http://www.horrormarathon.com. And get your sleep now, for come October there’ll be no rest for the wicked!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:28 pm 

I am beyond stoked to see The Devils again on the big screen. /tosses a rubber alligator at you

This looks like one of the best lineups in years. Kudos!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:29 pm 

Looks excellent. I enjoyed the twitter unveiling.

Guess the Slither rejection came early this year. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:34 pm 
Site Admin

Oh SLITHER......you'll have your time someday soon...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:00 pm 

Honestly Joe this is one of the most consistent and exciting lineups in years. Hopefully we'll get some good premiers in to flesh this out. I can take Kill List off my netflix queue. Only quibble is trying to understand the unquenchable Vincent Price fetish.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:00 pm 

What a great lineup! Extra YAY for getting to see Dead Alive on the big screen again! And Dr. Phibes? Seriously? Get me back to Ohio now!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:41 pm 

auteur55 wrote:
Honestly Joe this is one of the most consistent and exciting lineups in years. Hopefully we'll get some good premiers in to flesh this out. I can take Kill List off my netflix queue. Only quibble is trying to understand the unquenchable Vincent Price fetish.

Saying there is too much Vincent Price at a Horror Marathon is like saying there's too much cream filling in a Twinkie. Yes, there are a handful of sub-par Price films, but PHIBES? Arguably one of the best representatives of the genre, with or without Uncle Vinny, period.

A couple quick thoughts:
I have heard about KILL LIST in title only. When I IMDB'd it, a couple reviews say "the less you know, the better." So, I guess I'll stop researching there and try to go in cold. Joe's whole-hearted recommendation is good enough for me anyway.

Death to VIDEODROME. Long live the new flesh.

I saw SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES only once when I was a child and I thought it was boring. But, like I said, I was a child so I suppose it's worth a revisit. Plus it's nice to be able to pay tribute to a legend.

Lugosi will be 120?! Wow, that dude's really old.

I suppose my guessing skills have improved for Joe's cryptic hints as I correctly predicted THE DEVILS and DEAD ALIVE in the suggestions thread earlier this year. Yay for me! I didn't know what I was missing at my very first Horror marathon 20 years ago as I drifted in and out of consciousness while THE DEVILS was playing in the wee hours. Looking forward to the challenge again this year as my appreciation for the Marathon and film in general has matured. I can say that a Ken Russell film is NOT really good for the psyche while struggling to stay awake. I know nothing of the context of the images, but let's just say naked possessed nuns is something I still have not been able to un-see.

Ah, DEAD ALIVE. Many of us were fortunate enough that same year to witness one of the first unleashings of this gem upon the world. If you are a huge horror/gore fan attending this year and have yet to see it, I envy you. Just remember this: during the funeral scene, keep an eye on the cackling, dirty sandwich-eating embalmer and think to yourself: "that dude won several Academy Awards!"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:44 pm 
Site Admin

I'm a Sumatran Rat Monkey, and I approve this lineup!

(Paid for by the committee to re-elect Sumatran Rat Monkeys.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:04 pm 

Permit!...

PERRRRRRRRRRRR MIT!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:16 pm 

Is THE DEVILS 35mm or DVD?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:21 pm 
Site Admin

We've been trying to snag a 35mm print of THE DEVILS for a long time. But for many reasons, the only existent copies are out of our reach. However, Warner Brothers were generous enough to provide us with a very nice digital copy to show. You know where I stand on the 35MM vs. video debate, but the timing is right for the screening and it should still look good on the Grandview's screen. Plus, this is likely one of the few times that most of the audience will get to see anlicensed screening of the film in a theatrical setting.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:25 pm 

Something Wicked This Way Comes. Nice to see a Disney film finally makes it to the Horror marathon.

Interesting lineup. I've never seen the Devils or Kill List. Hopefully these two films doesn't get stuck in the middle of the night. These two films plus Werewolves of Wheels are the most watch list.

Braindead a great splatter flick.

Wonder witch movie will get replaced at the last minute.

Ahh Slither will you ever going to make an apperance?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:35 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:
We've been trying to snag a 35mm print of THE DEVILS for a long time. But for many reasons, the only existent copies are out of our reach. However, Warner Brothers were generous enough to provide us with a very nice digital copy to show. You know where I stand on the 35MM vs. video debate, but the timing is right for the screening and it should still look good on the Grandview's screen. Plus, this is likely one of the few times that most of the audience will get to see anlicensed screening of the film in a theatrical setting.

What he said.

And... literally EVERYTHING ELSE is 35mm. We can debate until we are blue in the face, but reasons for this exception to the rule are understandable and acceptable. Heck, I'm surprised the WB even licensed the screening. But, that being said, bravo for snagging FILM prints of 10 great horror movies.
Well...nine great horror movies and WEREWOLVES ON WHEELS.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:05 pm 

This is the best lineup I think a marathon has had in years. Sure, better movies have been shown, but there isn't a movie in this lineup that I would want to skip. Kill List is probably my favorite movie that I have watched this year, and seeing that I saw it projected digitally, I am extremely excited to see it on 35mm. I mean this movie is so, so, so good. I can gush all over it, and I feel like I am underselling it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:10 pm 
Site Admin

IamJacksUserID wrote:
I have heard about KILL LIST in title only. When I IMDB'd it, a couple reviews say "the less you know, the better." So, I guess I'll stop researching there and try to go in cold. Joe's whole-hearted recommendation is good enough for me anyway.

KILL LIST is definitely best experienced with almost nothing known about it past the premise. The trailer (the link for which we'll be posting to the main page in the very near future) does a nice job of teasing out some of the plot points. But stay away from spoilers beforehand if you want the full effect. In several interviews, director Ben Wheatley has emphasized how he and his collaborators specifically mixed the soundtrack for maximum theatrical effect, so let that serve as a possible motivator for you as well. And even though it screened at the Gateway early this year (as Adam noted), this will probably be your only chance to see it in 35mm in Columbus.