The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:17 pm 

There are a ton of factors that go into keeping a Marathon on time. I've been scheduling the Boston Sci-Fi one for years.

One thing, everybody has to keep in mind: Movie theaters simply aren't designed to run 10-14 movies in a row (Plus, shorts, trailers etc.). Each screen in a typical theater runs 3 to 5 showings a day. Most, have intermissions that are 20 to 45 minutes (or even longer).

Now, that film is going away, digital may help. MAY. Someone still has to program the different films and keep everything straight.

I understand that some of the problems involve many other kinds of glitches, unforseen accidents, theater management issues etc etc. But, just keep the theater's time and projection considerations in mind when criticizing going over schedule.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:55 pm 

Jaws3dfan wrote:
*Boo everyone that does participate in contests

This really can't be emphasized enough

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:48 pm 
Site Admin

Wow! So much to get to, so much to answer for (in so many definitions of that term.) Let's see.....

AEinhorn wrote:
Something that I haven't seen addressed - which I find interesting in the light of the comments on the topic both on the forum and at the event - was the amount of snarking at the event, which seemed to be way down.

Not complaining, but I can barely remember hearing a comment through the event, and I certainly can't remember any that hit in the middle of a film that ended up distracting or bothering me.

My cohorts and I were talking about this during our annual post-Marathon lunch. They claim the relative lack of snarking is because I provide ample context before each film (some of you will read this as "because I talk so damn much before each film that the audience is rendered docile and sleepy.") I don't know; it seems like we've just had an extended run of good luck with the makeup of the Horror audience. After the ELECTROMA near-riot at this year's Sci-Fi Marathon, part of me feared that this audience would rip POSSESSION apart. But the treatment it received was pretty tremendous. Maybe the overall lack of snarking is due to the variety of genres and tones that Bruce and I have established as the norm for the Horrorthons.

not worldsfinest wrote:
It isn't about what should've been dropped. My point is nothing should be dropped and the event shouldn't run a full movie-length behind (30 minutes over time, ok; 1.5 hours, not ok), but history has shown that 12 movies in 24 hours just doesn't fit for whatever reasons.

I noticed you mentioned that you've been attending for 8-9 years. Now to be fair, the Incredible 2-Headed Marathons were ALWAYS hamstrung by the Drexel's wonky scheduling. No matter how many times we asked them not to do so, year after year they scheduled a film for the prime round hour that would inevitably run until ten minutes or so before our supposed 10:00 start, pushing us almost an hour behind each year. And trust me, that scheduling predilection got more and more annoying each year.

As far as the Grandview goes, there has been one main reason for the events falling behind these past four years: the projection problems. For one reason or another, there have been one or two problems every year that set us too far behind (although last year, we also opened the doors FAR later than I wanted, causing us to start from behind.) We've tried to remedy those problems, and each year we've had confidence that everything will be okay. But for one reason or another, that hasn't been the case.

Now, longtime Marathoids know that (dating back to 1987) the event has traditionally ran a bit over most years. It's always been part of the charm. But we shouldn't have to consistently run an hour behind. Trust me, this matter is always at the forefront during our pre-Marathon planning discussions.

Splatterpunk wrote:
Purchasing a ticket is a seat reservation and I expect to have a seat (any seat is fine, I'm not particular) waiting for me regardless of when I show up. Purchasing one ticket does not, however, entitle you to multiple seats for all the crap you bring with you, regardless of if you showed up earlier than me. My friend was harassed in a disgusting manner by someone who was asked by management to move their crap out of an unoccupied seat. This was not the only unpleasant interaction we had. I have to say I left the marathon feeling embarrassed by my fellow fans general demeanor. The lone bright spot was the films themselves, which I enjoyed immensely despite the rudeness of several patrons.

This year's Horror Marathon was the highest attended 24-Hour Horrorthon since the 2003 NIGHTMARE AT STUDIO 35. Which is great! But it also presented us with a problem that we haven't had to deal with in years: the much mentioned seating grind. I was a bit surprised that more of the late arrivers didn't approach Bruce or I (or the theater workers) to ask for some help in this matter. And I guess I'm a bit disappointed that a few clumps of people had to be jerks about their seating situation. It's something we'll keep in mind for the future (until we show SERBIAN FILM 2: SON OF MILOSH next year and drive away half the crowd.)

cleazer wrote:
There weren't a ton of trailers this year, and there were no shorts. Both the scream contest and the costume contest seemed to go as quick as you could hope for, as many contestants just went through the line once. I'm not sure where all the time was lost. Sometimes it seemed like Joe and Bruce were standing up there talking forever, but I think they were just waiting for the projector to be ready.

So I think maybe the problem is that the breaks between some of the movies were just too long. As others have stated, you don't need a 15 minute break if there's going to be 15 minutes of trailers before the next movie anyways. Trailers and shorts are some of the highlights of the marathons for me, but there's nothing wrong with missing 2 or 3 to stand in line for food or the bathroom.

Yes, sometimes we talk too much during our film intros. Yes, sometimes I talk WAY too much during the film intros. And yes, sometimes we're vamping for time.

Jaws3dfan wrote:
Also you must all remember the theater is there to make money, yes they love us and our event but if they can't make money at it than they will have to cancel the event in the future. The longer the lines at the concession stand the longer the wait between films, they don't want to start the movie and risk having people jumping out of line to go watch the trailers.

...and yes, this is why cutting intermission down too much can be damaging. Theaters survive on concession sales, and we're essentially the Grandview's guests. So in exchange for the complete creative control we receive, we duly try to give them time to sell their wares. Yeah, there could be some tightening of the intermissions, but we also want people to have the option to watch most of what's on screen AND buy a hot dog.

Jaws3dfan wrote:
*Everyone decide in this forum in advanced who will be voted into the hall of fame so Joe doesn't need to run down a long list (also press record on the video camera so Joe doesn't need to start over)

*Don't Encourage Joe to read passages from books at future events :lol:

See the damage that the internet hath wrought? Now EVERYONE thinks that their single vote is the most important. I partially joke, but this year did seem to set a new record for variety of low tally votes.

And hey! It was a magazine, not a book! And trust me my friend, NO ONE needs to offer encouragement for me to want to get up and yack for awhile (insert recurring "Joe! Stop strokin' yer beard and siddown!" joke.)

IamJacksUserID wrote:
First he gets ketchup and mustard dumped on him, and now this. What did he ever do to deserve this? If he weren't such a nice guy I would understand, but this is just baffling.

To clarify: one of the gents who had his seat swiped was my good buddy (and longtime Marathoid) Scott Cozzolino, the bald-headed lothario who operated the video camera during part of the event. Twenty years ago, when he was operating a video camera at the dear departed Drexel North (R.I.P.) for a student documentary, he happened to take a break and sit down during one of the films....only to be pegged with a styrofoam cup filled with ketchup and mustard. Boy, remember the punk kids from the old Horror Marathon days? Weren't they high-larious? So yeah, I guess that Scott should retire from his videographer role?

not worldsfinest wrote:
I have had The Mercy Seat stuck in my head for roughly 116 hours now.

And THIS, my friends, is what makes the Marathon business truly rewarding.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:27 pm 

Just some random thoughts... Been coming since 2003.

This may seem contradictory, but while I like the diversity, maybe next year swing the title selection a bit more toward what could be called traditionally horror. Possession, Videodrome and The Devils (along with most of Kill List) seem to walk a fine line between horror and drama, more often the latter. Each year has a different vibe and this year just felt like it veered a bit too far from horror (though everybody's definition of horror is different).

Dr. Phibes and Phantom of the Paradise were both a lot of fun. Both were pretty WTF, but lots of fun.

I can tolerate a lot of the projection problems, but the issues that were had with The Devils were inexcusable as the theatre has had this exact problem before during one of their Doctor Who screenings.

I think the amount of trailers was just about perfect this year, at least during the first half.

I kind of missed some snarking this year.

The seat theft is really discouraging to hear. I've always felt really safe leaving my jacket and backpack in my chair, knowing they'd be left alone. Won't be so certain in the future.

And lastly, it seems the more "harmless" stuff is programmed early. I don't really see children at the horror marathon, it would be nice to see more of the "heavy" stuff later. Now, I don't think Serbian Film should play as the first film, there needs to be somewhat of a gradual escalation, but I could see American Werewolf in London in that slot. One of the trailers in the first batch had a fair amount of topless women and more had some (cheap) gore; so, I wonder why it seems the G and PG stuff gets shown first? Mix it up more.

All in all, I really enjoy both marathons each year.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:20 am 

No one's saying you can't have a seat if you show up late. Did not mean to suggest that.

I'm just saying, you can't have OUR seats. You have to find your own. We paid for our tickets just like everyone else.

And yes, one seat per person please. Strongly agree with that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:48 am 

Joe Neff wrote:
not worldsfinest wrote:
I have had The Mercy Seat stuck in my head for roughly 116 hours now.

And THIS, my friends, is what makes the Marathon business truly rewarding.

Joe - as always, thanks for the feedback and everything you and Bruce do.

Tonally and pacing-wise, I really enjoyed the hell out of this year's lineup. Last year the quintet of A Serbian Film, Midnight Son, Goke, The Hitcher and The Beyond all right on top of each other really beat me down emotionally and sapped my energy. I didn't have it in me to stick around for another beatdown via Hellraiser (the only year I've left early). I didn't have any such issues this year. A very well curated and organized plan on team marathon's part.

And seriously, Mercy Seat is still stuck in my head. It is slowly driving me mad.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:44 am 

WolfNC17 wrote:
No one's saying you can't have a seat if you show up late. Did not mean to suggest that.

I'm just saying, you can't have OUR seats. You have to find your own. We paid for our tickets just like everyone else.

And yes, one seat per person please. Strongly agree with that.

I didn't intend for my comment to be aimed specifically at you. I apologize if it came off that way. I actually moved on three separate occasions when asked and I never gave anybody crap about it. It was difficult to tell what seats were actually occupied, as opposed to just being used as storage. The reason I didn't approach Joe or Bruce was because I figured they were very busy and it was my own fault, arriving late and all. However, as I said, I expect a seat, having paid for a ticket. I did ask for help from the theater staff and it was then that my friend and I started getting static from folks who felt they were entitled to multiple seats for their mountains of belongings.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:43 am 

No offense taken. I just wanted to be clear on my position. I agree with you completely that individuals should not take up multiple seats. Perhaps that added to the confusion. I didn't realize people were doing that. If so, then that's also a problem that needs to be addressed.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:52 am 

Just wanted to thank the whole crew who got this event together. It's my third in four years, and I'm already waiting for info about next year.

Great job all around, and THANK YOU.