The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:17 pm 

...and gee whiz, I nearly forgot the creeptastic Children of the Corn.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:55 pm 

IamJacksUserID wrote:
...and gee whiz, I nearly forgot the creeptastic Children of the Corn.

I'm 35 years old and Children of the Corn is still, to this day, one of the creepiest movies I've ever seen. It's one of about a hand full of movies that I refused to watch again because it had such a profound affect on my psyche. With that said, if it were shown at the SAC 24 Hr Thon, I'd watch it again.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:42 pm 

IamJacksUserID wrote:
AEinhorn wrote:
Christine and Creepshow both aired during the Studio 35 years. The Dark Half has shown, although at a Sci-Fi (I think it may have been a premiere at the time).

A few notable King films that have never aired, which might make fun additions, would include Pet Semetary, Maximum Overdrive (which we often get a trailer for, and which would be prime snark target), or Silver Bullet.

If I were making a list of Stephen King movies never shown at a Columbus Marathon, at the top of it would be The Mist

I hate, hate, hate the ending to The Mist, but watching the black and white version would be a cool experience. I'm assuming that would have to be a digital screening.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:58 pm 

not worldsfinest wrote:

I hate, hate, hate the ending to The Mist...

I will have to respectfully disagree with you on that. For me, the resolution elevated what was a so-so monster movie to a higher level. It's also probably why it didn't make as much money as they had hoped, but kudos to Darabont for sticking to his guns. Stephen King himself reportedly said the ending, which was slightly different from the novella, was better than what he originally wrote and he was envious that he had not thought of it himself.

And, yes, it would be awesome to screen the B&W version.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:36 pm 

The Mist had one of the best actual endings to any movie ever.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:02 pm 

cleazer wrote:
The Mist had one of the best actual endings to any movie ever.

I agree. Total Non-Hollywood ending.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:50 pm 

I think the point of Joe's question is not what films have not played, but what glaring omissions are there…as in films that are extremely popular and iconic in the horror genre but haven't played. I don't have access to a definitive list of what films have played, so a lot of this is guess work.

Friday 13th
Not a fan, but it is Iconic of the 80's and launched an entire franchise. If you asked someone's grandma to list 10 horror films off the top of her head, this would likely come to mind. It's practically part of our culture.

Nightmare On Elm Street
Huge fan. Can't believe it hasn't shown! The Nightmare franchise is another film like Friday 13th that is practically part of our culture.

The Birds
Psycho is THE film of Hitchcock's to show, but the Birds is also pretty iconic in the genre and worthy of a slot.

Jaws
Made horror mainstream in the 70's. One of the top 50 grossing films of all time in North America. An entire nation is now afraid to go into the water because of this film.

The Wolfman/Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde/The Mummy/The Invisible Man
B/W Classics

Ringu
The definitive black hair creepy Japanese horror that spawned a new style of J horror.

Blair Witch Project
Like it or not, it launched a new craze of found footage that is still going strong today.

Shaun of the Dead
A modern classic that would draw in a younger audience. Probably not Iconic, but certainly one of the most popular horror films of the last 2 decades.

Scream
Not my favorite film, but certainly a stand out in the genre as far as fans and helping rejuvenate the genre. I think this film helped kickstart the genre again.

Silence of the Lambs
On the AFI's greatest movies list. That pretty much says it all.

Repulsion
I was reluctant to include this film because I don't necessarily think it is "iconic", but seems to make most Top 100 horror film list and is certainly one of my favorite films period.

Poltergeist
Another film that stands out as a huge hole. It was a big critical and box office success. It was actually nominated for 3 Oscars.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:54 am 

I love the ending of The Mist! One of the best horror films of the last decade. It would be great to see, but I wouldn't put it on this list unless it still hasn't played 10 years from now. As for the B&W version, I actually haven't seen it yet, but I worked with the cinematographer, Rohn Schmidt, for 6 months on The Chicago Code. He said that the B & W thing was a gimmick after the fact and they never talked about that during production or he actually would of lit it differently. He didn't even know about that version until the studio sent him the DVD. I know he's not a fan.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:53 pm 

The Mist was incredible. I was ripped apart by the ending. Punched in the gut. Horrified. Left shaking as the credits rolled. Yeah, you can guess I liked the film. I don't mind if one recent film plays. It's only one and it gives the event some recognizability. Just nothing that played in the last couple of years or films like Last Circus which played, but hardly got any distribution. I think the Mist would be a fine addition....however it's not really a glaring omission from the marathon. It's not iconic enough. It's one damn good movie though.

Interesting info about Rohn Schmidt. Thanks Mr. Meat.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:01 pm 

carter9000 wrote:
I think the point of Joe's question is not what films have not played, but what glaring omissions are there…as in films that are extremely popular and iconic in the horror genre but haven't played. I don't have access to a definitive list of what films have played, so a lot of this is guess work.

Friday 13th
Not a fan, but it is Iconic of the 80's and launched an entire franchise. If you asked someone's grandma to list 10 horror films off the top of her head, this would likely come to mind. It's practically part of our culture.

Nightmare On Elm Street
Huge fan. Can't believe it hasn't shown! The Nightmare franchise is another film like Friday 13th that is practically part of our culture.

The Birds
Psycho is THE film of Hitchcock's to show, but the Birds is also pretty iconic in the genre and worthy of a slot.

Jaws
Made horror mainstream in the 70's. One of the top 50 grossing films of all time in North America. An entire nation is now afraid to go into the water because of this film.

The Wolfman/Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde/The Mummy/The Invisible Man
B/W Classics

Ringu
The definitive black hair creepy Japanese horror that spawned a new style of J horror.

Blair Witch Project
Like it or not, it launched a new craze of found footage that is still going strong today.

Shaun of the Dead
A modern classic that would draw in a younger audience. Probably not Iconic, but certainly one of the most popular horror films of the last 2 decades.

Scream
Not my favorite film, but certainly a stand out in the genre as far as fans and helping rejuvenate the genre. I think this film helped kickstart the genre again.

Silence of the Lambs
On the AFI's greatest movies list. That pretty much says it all.

Repulsion
I was reluctant to include this film because I don't necessarily think it is "iconic", but seems to make most Top 100 horror film list and is certainly one of my favorite films period.

Poltergeist
Another film that stands out as a huge hole. It was a big critical and box office success. It was actually nominated for 3 Oscars.

A number of those are on the list:

http://www.vitruvianzeke.com/Marathonia/MarathoniaIndex.html

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:08 am 

I would like to see Friday the 13 3D. The DVD is in 3D. Just video project the DVD and I'll be fine.