The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:51 pm 

This maybe should go in the state of the marathon thread, but has any thought been put into what both marathons will do if/when their respective host theaters convert to digital projection? Are the theaters planning to keep an operating 35mm projector around for older films (I can see both the Grandview and the Drexel doing this)? Had this been discussed with the management of the theaters at all?

With 2013 being the last year that most newer titles will have 35mm prints struck (or so I'm hearing, and I am in the business), how will this affect the future of our twice a year gatherings?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:30 am 

svarney wrote:
This maybe should go in the state of the marathon thread, but has any thought been put into what both marathons will do if/when their respective host theaters convert to digital projection? Are the theaters planning to keep an operating 35mm projector around for older films (I can see both the Grandview and the Drexel doing this)? Had this been discussed with the management of the theaters at all?

With 2013 being the last year that most newer titles will have 35mm prints struck (or so I'm hearing, and I am in the business), how will this affect the future of our twice a year gatherings?

At the horror marathon Bruce said that times are changing and the day wil come that all movies at the marathons will be Digital, there is no stopping progress.

A few years ago this would have upset me but there have been great advances in Digital Projection and to me the autmosphere of the Marathon remains the same regaurdless of the media being used to show the film. Also with Digital Projection there comes less chances of projection issues that seem to plague the marathons.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:58 am 

Jaws3dfan wrote:
Also with Digital Projection there comes less chances of projection issues that seem to plague the marathons.

You were there for the start of The Devils, right? :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:38 am 

AEinhorn wrote:
Jaws3dfan wrote:
Also with Digital Projection there comes less chances of projection issues that seem to plague the marathons.

You were there for the start of The Devils, right? :)

Yea but that was user error :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:34 pm 

Oh, there is little doubt that very soon, there will not be prints struck of new films.

Problem is, there is very little being done to convert vintage titles to proper digital prints. A few times a year, there are special screenings of major classics in digital such as TAXI DRIVER and LAWRENCE OF ARABIA. But, good luck ever believing that something like KILL LIST, SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES or WEREWOLVES ON WHEELS will be properly converted to hard drive digital prints.

Nope, that means vintage titles will be DVD. Blu Ray where applicable. A real digital "print" will be projected in 2k or 4k. DVD is 1k, Blu Ray is 2k - but intended for home usage on a 40 INCH screen, not a 40 FOOT one.

That is, UNLESS the theater maintains 35mm capibility.