The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:55 am 

It's been nearly two years since I published "Wild Beyond Belief," but I'm finally in the home stretch on my next book project, which McFarland has already expressed interest in.

This time I'm tackling regional horror films, and the working title is "The Dead Next Door."

As I'm finishing things up, I've launched a blog to share some research materials and post updates on the book:

http://regionalhorrorfilms.blogspot.com/

For the sort-of inaugural month that I'm actually keeping the blog updated (which I guess is almost over-- sheesh!) I'm focusing on Ohio films.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:01 pm 

Funny. I'm actually in Bookwalter's films,Ozone(aka Street Zombies) and The Sandman. Worked on those films while on my work vacations. Also know Jay from here in Ohio and out at the LA Fango shows.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:53 am 

My book on regional horror films is finally available. You can order it on Amazon or over at the publisher's web site:

http://mcfarlandpub.com/book-2.php?id=978-0-7864-7227-7

There are more than 350 independent horror/sci-fi films from 1958 to 1990 profiled, made in nearly every state in the Union (excluding California), and 13 interviews with the likes of William Grefe (Stanley), Robert Morgan (Blood Stalkers), J.R. Bookwalter (Dead Next Door), Milton Ginsberg (Werewolf of Washington), Lewis Jackson (Christmas Evil), Martin Folse (Terror in the Swamp), Albert Salzer (Night of Bloody Horror), and Don Barton (Zaat/Bloodwaters of Dr. Z).

There are also rare behind-the-scenes photos from THE DEAD NEXT DOOR, WEREWOLF OF WASHINGTON, BLOODSTALKERS, the previously unknown Mississippi SOV film SOUTHERN SHOCKERS, and a lot of nice VHS box cover scans and newspaper admats.

This is also the first print reference book to include full entries with cast and crew lists for SOUTHERN SHOCKERS, THE DEMON OF DEVIL'S LAKE, THE BEAST FROM THE BEGINNING OF TIME, THE WEDNESDAY CHILDREN, and several other rare, regional films.

I'm also doing a countdown of the Top 100 regional horror films over at my blog:

http://regionalhorrorfilms.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:51 pm 

Congrats on getting the book published.

I've seen a number of the films on your Top 100 list, and even worked with several of the people involved like Fred Olen Ray, William Lustig and Don Jackson.

I'll be interested to see the Top 10.

I know it's tough getting published these days, but, McFarland is really outrageous to charge $45 for a softcover trade paperback.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:11 pm 

I wasn't happy about the price either. There should be an e-book version available that's a little less pricey. Not sure if that is available right now or not.