The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:31 am 

kevincarr wrote:
If they ever play ERNEST SCARED STUPID, they should serve miak at the concession stand.

I only drink authentic Bulgarian miak.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:41 pm 

scottcoz wrote:
Anything with Udo Kier is worth watching! :)

Even the remake of Halloween? LOL Personally, I love it, but I understand that it is a universally hated movie, but since technically Udo Kier IS in it (for a very brief appearance), I had to ask out of sheer curiosity. As far as the Critters movies being screened, now you're talking! I am DEFINIFELY all for Critters movies being shown!

Last edited by HorrorTriviaMaster on Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:36 pm 

I'm down for Rob Zombie's Halloween. I mean, it doesn't compare with the original, and I think Mr. Zombie kind of missed the whole point of the original... but it's not a TERRIBLE movie. You just have to resist the temptation to compare it to Carpenter's. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:27 am 

scottcoz wrote:
I'm down for Rob Zombie's Halloween. I mean, it doesn't compare with the original, and I think Mr. Zombie kind of missed the whole point of the original... but it's not a TERRIBLE movie. You just have to resist the temptation to compare it to Carpenter's. :)

Way easier said than done, IMO. I feel like anytime there's a "remake" it's hard not to do a side by side comparison, even though some are indirectly a remake but carry the same name (i.e. The Thing, to a certain extent Dawn of the Dead).

I'd be all for it though...even though my initial opinion to Lords of Salem was pretty low, the more I pondered and thought about the flick, the more I was intrigued. I'd think I'd be open to another RZ flick.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:39 am 

scottcoz wrote:
Yea, I would love for The Babadook to play! I haven't seen it, either, but have been highly anticipating it, ever since comicbookgirl19 reviewed it (Babadook review starts at 7:30):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo2DQjfAFnw

I was luke warm on The Babadook, I really liked the idea and the "creature" they created was creepy and fun however I just wished it had attached itself to a family I actually cared about.

Spoiler: show
I realize we are dealing with shadow archetype but you still need to be able to connect with the main characters on some level and I never did connect with anyone in this film. About 30 Minutes in a was praying the Babadook would hurry up and kill these people and move on to another family or victim.

If The Babadook ever plays at the marathon I hope it plays early in the lineup.

A large portion of the plot deals with the main character being sleep deprived, this would not keep people awake at 3am

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:17 pm 

Heh - like playing Dark City at 5am? Classic programming!

"Sleeeeeeeeep"

:)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:46 am 

So we're all in agreement. Critters needs to be shown.

I didn't think the Rob Zombie Halloween was bad on its own, but compared to the original, it's blasphemous.

Also, I just watched Wolf Cop on Netflix. I chuckled.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:10 am 

Royals wrote:
So we're all in agreement. Critters needs to be shown.

I didn't think the Rob Zombie Halloween was bad on its own, but compared to the original, it's blasphemous.

Also, I just watched Wolf Cop on Netflix. I chuckled.

Critters = YES

Rob Zombie Halloween = Not until they have exhausted the vast library of Awesome Slasher Films that have never Shown

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:54 pm 

Farva wrote:
A few more suggestions that I think would be good 'thon flicks.

Rawhead Rex
Zombie 3
Zombie 4
Popcorn
Critters
Deadly Friend
Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter
Maximum Overdrive
Dolls
The Monster Squad
Society
Shivers

YES, YES, YES!! All great choices!

Royals wrote:
I could go for some good werewolf movies. Silver Bullet, Dog Soldiers, any of the Howling series.

How's about Ginger Snaps?

Even though I disagree with willcail on nearly everything, I have to say he usually has excellent movie suggestions, such as Creepshow 1 or 2.

Jaglavak wrote:
willcail wrote:

Did people's already forget that Suspira screened last year. Now remember that Logan's Run was often requested for the science fiction marathon and it did screened. Trick or Treat was often requested and the movie was screened at the horror marathon.

My ears are still ringing...

OH MY GOD, MINE TOO!!! To quote The Wishmaster:
"THAT HURT LIKE HELL."

Royals wrote:
I'm down for some light hearted, kid friendly movies. It's good to cleanse the palate after seeing some real gritty stuff.

Ernest Scared Stupid
Hocus Pocus
Monster Squad
Witches
The Halloween Tree

Even though it isn't kid friendly, Life After Beth is definitely light hearted, not to mention hilarious as HELL!! If you haven't seen this movie yet:
"WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR!!??"
- Jennifer Love Hewitt, I Know What You Did Last Summer

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 2:39 pm 

Twitch of the Death Nerve
Brides of Blood
Big Ass Spider
Sleepaway Camp
Street Trash
Dance of the Dead
Manos the Hands of Fate
Texas Chainsaw 2
Biohazard - by Fred Olen Ray
The Host - (Korean)
BioZombie - (Chinese)

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:10 am 

I do love Sleepaway Camp and The Host

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:19 am 

Worldsfinest wrote:
Way easier said than done, IMO. I feel like anytime there's a "remake" it's hard not to do a side by side comparison, even though some are indirectly a remake but carry the same name (i.e. The Thing, to a certain extent Dawn of the Dead).

Why does everyone think that "The Thing" (2011) is a remake? It REALLY doesn't help that they decided to call it "The Thing" instead of absolutely anything else, but one need only watch the end, not even the whole movie, of it to see that it is a prelude to the beginning of John Carpenter's The Thing.

Ghost wrote:
A large portion of the plot deals with the main character being sleep deprived, this would not keep people awake at 3am

I have to disagree. I think this would be ideal for people who are sleep deprived, sort of a horror film JUST FOR sleep deprived people to watch, for fear of the Babadook coming for them! ;)

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:57 am 

cleazer wrote:
agentstinky wrote:
WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS

It's currently playing at a local art house theater. I don't think I'll be able to make it while it's still in theaters, but it looks hilarious, so I'd like to see it at Shock Around the Clock this year.

We watched What We Do In The Shadows about 3 months ago, and we loved it. Highly entertaining. As soon as it was over, we all agreed "the marathon crowd would love it". Very funny.

The Babadook was great too. Haven't seen It Follows yet, but I might go this week. Heard it's really good though, so it would probably be a fine addition to the marathon.

I agree that any of The Babadook, What We Do In Shadows or It Follows would play well in the marathon.

Selfishly, I'm not pulling for It Follows. It's ok, but wildly overrated IMO. Excellent idea, but I wasn't impressed by the execution at all. I think the crowd would dig it though.

The other two, however, I thought were excellent.

Babadook is a good riff on early Polanski and the two leads are great. Troubled/creepy kids are played out in horror, but this one is worth it.

Shadows seems like a good change-of-pace/palate cleanser to plug into one of those 2 through 4 spots in a lineup or as that 10th or 11th movie. A fun counterpoint right before or right after a heavier movie.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 7:22 pm 

Just like with The Thing From Another World, The Evil Dead and Mama, The Babadook was inspired by a short story. Joe and Bruce, for your consideration, I would love to have this show at the horror marathon, especially if The Babadook screens. Here it is. Grab some popcorn and enjoy!

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/09/03/ ... nal,manual

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 7:44 am 

How about Body Bags?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next