The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:27 pm 

My wish list consists of the following:

1. A Venue
2. Ticket prices and sales
3. A beginning line up

In all truthiness, I always have full confidence in Bruce and Joe because they always produce a stellar product.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:13 pm 

A Stellar lineup? A stellar lineup is only going to happen if CAPA's Drexel is not involved. If Drexel does get invovled it will be a lineup of direct to video dreck that passes for horror movies. Joe in my opinion be some sort of figurehead if the Drexel is invovled If I want to see dreck I'll continue to pay 8 bucks to Netflix.

Have you went to this year's Science Fiction Marathon? The majority of the lineup was awful. Wasted money on that ticket. Now last year's SF Marathon was good. If the Wexner's screening room can handle both film, DCP, and video why can't the Drexel?

Don't have blind faith. That's how cults and Megachurces get started.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:21 pm 

I agree. Dreck sounds awful.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1221132/?ref_=fn_al_tt_5

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:59 pm 

And yet that "movie" will be more watchable than Time of the Robots. Howard the Duck is more watchable than Time of the Robots. ANYTHING is more watchable than Time of the Robots. I rather sit and watch that awful Ooglelove Love movie with my niece than Time of the Robots.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:17 am 

So wait, willcail, I don't think I'm understanding...you did like this year's SF Marathon then? A whole lot? :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:00 pm 

Link and then scroll down.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1618&start=15

Now try to get Black Sabbath again. Watched last night. Yes Kino did get the uncut version.

Is it not too much trouble to anouce this year's venue? I'm willing to give Drexel another shot.

How about The Birds since Psycho did get screened.

Sharknado? Since its makes "MORE SENSE" than Ghost Shark. Note the quotes.

Lords of Salem. If you have to stick with horror films that have an DCP then get a film that is good.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:23 pm 
Site Admin

Worldsfinest wrote:
My wish list consists of the following:

1. A Venue
2. Ticket prices and sales
3. A beginning line up

You and me both, my friend.

But seriously, Bruce and I are still working on this whole setup. And trust me, we want to make an announcement as badly as you want to hear one. But we also don't want to make anything official until we're sure that everything is arranged properly. We're REALLY hoping that concrete news will be materializing early next week. Hang in there.

Worldsfinest wrote:
In all truthiness, I always have full confidence in Bruce and Joe because they always produce a stellar product.

Ah, the wonders and perils of full confidence....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:21 pm 

It it possible that this year's horror marathon WILL NOT BE at the CAPA Drexel?

http://www.drexel.net/index.php?/site/full_blog/395

Well Joe will this year's horror marathon be at the Grandview?

There is no way that the Drexel consider The Big Lebowski to be a horror film.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:10 am 

willcail wrote:
A Stellar lineup? A stellar lineup is only going to happen if CAPA's Drexel is not involved. If Drexel does get invovled it will be a lineup of direct to video dreck that passes for horror movies. Joe in my opinion be some sort of figurehead if the Drexel is invovled If I want to see dreck I'll continue to pay 8 bucks to Netflix.

Have you went to this year's Science Fiction Marathon? The majority of the lineup was awful. Wasted money on that ticket.

You wouldn't want to waste money on the Horror Marathon ticket, too, eh? So, yea, I guess since it's at the Drexel, you're going to skip this one? Or, hey - good news, now you can drop your Netflix subscription, and just come watch dreck at the Marathon!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:12 am 

I didn't say I stop going. Anyway Joe did say that this year's SF Marathon left a sour taste in his mouth.

They didn't put any effort in programming this year's SF Marathon. Now This is why film lineup is important. If you blindly accept sub par movies that is on you.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:46 am 

willcail wrote:
They didn't put any effort in programming this year's SF Marathon.

You don't know that. You've no idea what obstacles Bruce had to overcome to make this year's SF marathon happen. Was the final product less than we might have hoped for? Sure. But that doesn't mean there was no effort put into it.

You're allowed to criticize the line-up or the event. But you are not allowed to even suggest that Bruce has done anything less than give his all to keep this thing alive.

(And no, I am not even joking a little bit. This is about as angry as I have ever been about a statement made on this forum.)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:04 am 

As previous posts By Joe Neff says that this year's SF Marathon was off. They have a promise from CAPA that they are going to have a hands off approch. There is an saying to too many cooks spoil the broth. Joe and Bruce have total control than fine. If the CAPA get invovled then it will be more of the same.

They have been many marathons that was at The Drexel theater before CAPA got involved. Those marathons were great.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:13 am 

And I'm not arguing with anything you said there. I agree that there were outside factors that made last year's SF sub-par. Although unless you were privy to what went on behind the scenes (which you weren't), then you don't know what was a factor of CAPA, what as a factor of the manager of the Drexel, what was a factor of Jeff Frank, what was a factor on outside considerations on the time of Bruce, and what was a factor of particularly difficult people at the studio archive.

All of that said, yes, I agree that the last SF marathon wasn't as great as it could have been, and hopefully things will be smoother for the horror marathon.

But that's not what you said above. You said "They didn't put any effort in programming this year's SF marathon."

That is not accurate, and is insulting. Bruce and Joe and many others Bust. Their. Asses. to make this event happen. It is a ton of work, and it clearly wears on them. They do it because they love it, not because they need to make it happen for a paycheck. Even if the event doesn't come together as we may have liked, to even suggest that they "didn't put any effort" into it is utter bullshit, and you owe them (not me, but Bruce, Joe and everyone else who works behind the scenes) an apology.

Which doesn't mean we write them a blank check. Criticism is fine. We should express what worked and what doesn't. But while there are plenty of statements I'm willing to let slide past me on the screen, I am not, and will never be ok with the suggestion that Bruce and company have ever given anything other than their best to make this event happen for our enjoyment.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:15 pm 

willcail wrote:
I didn't say I stop going.

You said you "wasted money on that ticket." That implies you regretted having attended, in that you wished you had not spent the money on the ticket.

You might want to consider what you are saying before opening your mouth (or tapping your little fingers, in this case), if that was not what you MEANT to say. Communicating clearly would help you get your point across without being misunderstood so often.

Also, I agree with Eihhorn - that was not cool, bro.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:00 am 

Remember, this is the same guy who cried and complained that A Serbian Film was being shown a few years ago. I distinctly remember him offering an empty threat to “not attend” if this film was going to be shown. Which, of course, I’m sure everyone shed a tear. :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next