The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:51 pm 
Site Admin

Remember that year? More importantly, remember this Columbus Dispatch article that a 17-year old me haphazardly sliced up for his scrapbook?

"Hey Joe!" some of you are saying. "I wasn't even BORN in 1994, ya ungracefully aging hipster!"

Fair enough. Now get offa my lawn.

But before you do that, stay for a sec. Because 1994 holds a special, somewhat melancholy place in the hearts of many veteran Nightmarathoids. For that 7th edition of NIGHT OF THE LIVING DREXEL would prove to be the final time a Drexel theater (in that case, the dear, departed Drexel North) would host a 24-hour Horror Marathon.

Well, that's about to change.

That's right: we've partnered with the Drexel to bring the 5th Annual SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK to their historic theater in Bexley, on October 26th and 27th. And this is the full strength version, 24 hours worth of everything you've come to love about the event...and some new perks as well. More about those in the coming days.

Just know this: Bruce and I are really excited about this partnership. We've been discussing it with the Drexel for several months, and they're more than excited to let us run our show the right way.

We'll be announcing an almost complete film lineup in a few days, but in the meantime, the big info is that TICKETS WILL GO ON SALE THIS FRIDAY!!! The hard info is as follows:

$37 in advance
$40 at the door (if they last)

Tickets available at

-The Drexel Theater (2254 E. Main St.)
-Laughing Ogre Comics (4258 N. High St.)
-The PayPal link on this website (http://www.horrormarathon.com)...which should be up by Friday.

Again, more info to follow, but get excited! The Horror Marathon is back!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:02 pm 

WOOHOO!!!

Thank you!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:44 pm 

Went from a perfectly fine theater that offer better concessions to a theater that gives a S**T. So it will be the return of s***ty food, no trailers and shorts.

Well that is out of the way. I do hope the slighty higher ticket prices will lead to a better film lineup. Since this year SF Marathon booked s***ty films. I do hope the powers at be learned their lesson from this year's SF Marathon debacle.

I'll be at the Drexel Theater around when they open to get an ticket to witness death of the Horror Marathon. Why the Drexel? :(

Postscript Please when you announce any films please make sure that you have gotten the proper rights. How long you have running the Horror Marathon? I don't want to see the rookie mistakes that happen at this year's SF Marathon. Don't booked a film and in 24 hours drop the film without explanation.

Please no experimental films. They go over like a lead balloon. Curse of Chucky likely available as an DCP. Since this year lineup the majority of titles will be two or three years old try to get Curse of Chucky it will be at least watchable.

Are you sure that the Drexel will run the horror marathon your way or you become figureheads while CAPA picks the majority of films. Do you have that in writing stating that you will run the horror marathon your way? I'm buying a ticket please just don't disappoint this 23 over all marathons attendee.

Did I mention that I'll be buying a ticket?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:57 pm 
Site Admin

Well, my friend, you're assuming an awful lot. And we haven't even announced further details about the event!

Know this: Bruce and I both know that this year's Sci-Fi Marathon left a sour taste in the mouths of some of the audience. In fact, these matters were some of the first points of discussion we had with the Drexel.

And what's this about being limited to films from the past few years? Hmmm.....there couldn't be more news about that end of things in the coming days, now could there?

Trust me, we wouldn't be doing the Horror Marathon with the Drexel if we weren't confident that the show will be good. It's why we've delayed this announcement for so long. We wanted to make sure that everything was okay.

Hang in there. If we're excited, we're willing to bet that most of you will be excited as well.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:28 pm 

OMG I so want to be there this year...anyone want to donate RT airfare from Seattle?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:54 pm 

Will there be more House At The End Of The Street lip balm? I'm almost out of my first stick.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:16 pm 

There are a lot of catalog films that are not in the DCP format. I'm glad that lessons were learn from this year's SF Marathon. I don't want to see an repeat that is all.

I like the trailers more than some of the films in past years. Plus it will get some of the riffing out of some people systems. Night of the Living Bread can be screen via the digital projection system.

OK I'll take an wait and see if there are improvements.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:10 am 

Will, since you can clearly provide a better product, step up, be a man and do it....get busy living or get busy dying....if not STFU!

I for one am very excited and can't wait....thank you Joe and Bruce. I know first hand what it takes to put a big event together and I don't envy your job.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:14 am 

Hey Worldsfinest that I'm BUYING A TICKET when the Drexel first open on Friday. I'll be down at the drexel around ten or eleven am getting the first ticket.

I'm not one of those marathonoids that puts up with the sub par. If you read Joe's response that this year's SF Marathon leaves a sour taste in their mouths. They are going to fix the problems. I've been going to these marathons for 13 years. I enjoy every one of them except this year's SF marathon. This year's SF Marathon wasn't great. When I put down my 37 dollars I want to see an wide range of horror films. I don't want to see the majority of the film lineup consit of films that are one to three years old.

I like going to both marathons each year. I'll will voice my opinion if the quality of the SF and Horror Marathons goes down. I have HIGH STANDARDS when it comes to the marathons. I will voice my opinion if the QUALITY of the marathons goes down. Don't accept sub par work or effort.

I'm glad that Joe and Bruce voiced their problems with this year's SF marathon. They have total control and little if no input from CAPA and or the Drexel. I'm pleased that CAPA's Drexel allowing a 24 hour horror marathon. I'll give them that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:51 am 

What kind of food do you want? Were the expensive, stale pretzels and nachos really that good at Grandview?

Speaking of which, what are we going to do now that we won't have Chubbs-a-lot the Snack Nazi to "bravely" dig through customer's bags and personal items when they're not there? Who's going to sniff out the contraband now?!? WHO?!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:02 am 
Site Admin

All I will say at this point is ...

1. There are reasons for everything.
2. A lot more work has been going on behind the scenes than people realize.
3. Joe and Bruce have heard (and share) all of your concerns, on all of your topics.
4. Be patient ... there are Good Things Coming.

That is all I have to say on the matter. For now. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:53 am 

I doubt I'll be able to attend this year (but I hope I can) but this is only good news. Comic Book Guy, er... Will needs to stop with his Debbie Downer attitude. "I'm buying a ticket..." doesn't reframe the other 3 posts and 14 paragraphs of negativity into a positive light. Every year it's nothing but complaints from you and it's really tiring (to me, I won't claim to speak for anyone else). Why are you whining about things that haven't been announced that you are just guessing about? Please save the whining for actual facts at least!

I know that one of the reasons the fate of the marathon was in limbo for so long is that the question of using the 35mm projector that the Drexel still has (but doesn't use) was up in the air. After this year's sci-fi disappointment, I have an educated guess that Joe and Bruce weren't going to do another marathon without being able to use the 35mm. Hopefully that will be the next announcement. Hopefully another announcement will be the screening of Don't Look Now 2 in honor of the 1994 marathon!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:28 am 

I admit I was very annoyed by the last minute scheduling changes with this year's Sci Fi Marathon, and I imagine those who are organizing the horror event are doing what they can to avoid more of the same. That said, I'm fine with waiting to hear the lineup until after everything has been finalized - in fact, that's what I would prefer, rather than buying a ticket and then getting bad news.

And speaking both for myself and my sister who attended with me, we had a blast at this year's Sci Fi Marathon, and despite the last minute changes, the replacement films made me very happy (I could hardly be dissatisfied with the opportunity to view two Kubrick films on a big screen, and I couldn't have cared less whether Dr. Strangelove met the technical definition of science fiction - close enough, as far as I'm concerned). And I preferred the Drexel to the Grandview.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:25 pm 

The Grandview is or at last year's Horror Marathon there was an menu that people can order subs, salads, breaded chicken parts,and pizza from an outside vendor. There was better selection pizzas one can order. The Drexel can learn from that.

I still bought stuff from consessions. Heck I bought more alcohol from the Drexel SF Marathon this year. Now I will still stand that consessions no matter if it from a commercial or a not for profit movie theater matters. This is how movie theaters stay open. They don't make enough from ticket sales. Not for profits can't operate in the red.

If the Marathons were free events then I can't btich and moan about it. Since there is a exchange of tender for a ticket that means I can have my opinions about it.

It was too soon to disconnect the 35MM projector when there are a whole lot of great SF and Horror films that haven't make it to DCP's or to Blu Ray.

Now I do hope Don't Look Now 2 with Kevin Foree do make a return. In 16MM ;-) A few will get this.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:52 pm 

I think we are all very lucky to have a marathon we can go to and enjoy the company of like minded (and opinionated individuals).I was also there at the last SF marathon and still got my money's worth and more. I was around great friends (all of them I would have never met had my wife and I not gone to the previous SF marathon). The fact that there was an acknowledgement of issues from the last marathon is a HUGE step in the right direction. With all the changes, we can expect bumps in the road.

My first horror marathon was at the Grandview last year and I had a blast. I went through the website archives to see what movies have played and how long some of the events were. The fact that the Drexel is offering up 24 hours for the horror marathon should show that our opinions are being heard. It's all a step in the right direction to keep the marathon going, and not just for the marathon's sake.

I'm going to see Goblin earlier in October and it would be a BLAST to see something like Suspiria (or any other Goblin scored film) on the big screen. I'm going to try to convince as many horror fans as I can to come. Maybe the more people we can get to go, more flexibility will be given to Joe and Bruce.