The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:58 am 

Is it REALLY important to point out that she was a plus size women???? I have been coming to marathons for a LONG time too and there are men how shouldn't be judging anyone for there size. Sorry but this negates EVERYTHING you say when you preface it like this. Is it OK for people to go through your things, no. Is it ok for you to run her down because of her size, no. Sorry for the tirade but this upset me.

As a side note I'm disappointed that I won't be able to make the marathon because I'll be on vacation. Have fun!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:00 am 

I just remembered the comment "like a pig sniffing truffles" Ridiculous, but I'll drop it now that I have said my piece.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:25 am 

If you were to do a 'Cover Charge' it would be for everyone. Armbands would be too difficult to do with 300 people running around in the dark.

Also, no food nazis checking on 'forbidden food'...............

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:53 am 

My two cents, as someone who drives many hours from my home in WV to attend...

I would welcome the cover charge rather than a snack nazi roaming around, as long as the cost is reasonable (not going to post a figure - let someone make an offer) and I get something for that money (at least popcorn and soda). I wouldn't think nosing around for snacks would be a pleasant job anyway.

And for what it's worth: I attended the Horror marathon in 2011 and ate nothing but food from the concession stand - popcorn, pizza, soda, etc. 3/4 of the way through, I was miserable and felt like I was going to be sick. By contrast, I attended the Sci Fi marathon earlier in the year and bought popcorn and soda and a couple hot dogs for dinner, but also had a good breakfast before I arrived at the theater (fruit and oatmeal) and kept a cooler in my car full of apple slices, raw veggies and bottled water. I left during the films I didn't want to see and snacked on the healthy stuff, and when the time came for the drive home, I didn't feel like I was going to have to have my stomach pumped. And I was able to stay for the entire event. All that to say - I think that looking into making more options available (at least for this event) is a great idea.

And I realize concessions are how theaters make much of their revenue, but you've got to be reasonable if you expect to draw customers. Make it unpleasant while charging a king's ransom and people are going to stay away. That's just the cold, hard truth when it comes to operating any business of any kind.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:53 pm 

How about implant people with RFID chips? Easier to track. One be surprise how dirt cheap those RFID chips can get.

Well there is a little thing called inflation. Manufacturing cost to go up. So the prices have to go up to get back the cost to make the poduct and to make a profit. Cost money to make stuff.

You can't keep prices at 1980's or 1990's prices.

How about an film lineup?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:37 pm 

willcail wrote:
You can't keep prices at 1980's or 1990's prices.

Who said anything about keeping prices at 1980's or 1990's rates?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:40 pm 

Don't complain about the consessions prices. Now before anyone start on me I've never have issues about the Drexel concession prices. Have issues with the quality of the food but not the prices.

When I used to work at an Reynoldsburg United Dairy Farmers back in the 2000's I saw how much of a profit that UDF was getting for an gallon of gas. At the time it was 10 cents per gallon. That is known to be an loss leader. They made up for it in store sales.

Movies at a movie theaters are an loss leader. There is another way of looking at this. Movie theaters could charge more for the ticket like 20 to 30 dollars for an SINGLE MOVIE and have the consessions at rock bottom prices. But that is not going to happen in the US anytime soon.

A poster on the message borad could post something that we are paying 37 to 40 dollars for a ticket. Now yes we are paying 37 to 40 dollars for an Horror Marathon ticket but that is for 11 to 12 movies maybe 13 due to the various runtimes.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:59 am 

It's not just the prices, it's that people want different options that they can't get at the concession stand. At least that's what I'm hearing. I think most people understand that theaters make their money at the concession stand.

What bothers me the most is when I order a pizza or sandwich and they say, "it'll be about 45 minutes". So 45 minutes later I get up (usually during a film that I want to see) to get my order and it isn't there yet. Then they tell me "it'll be another 30 minutes". 30 minutes later, I do the same thing again and it's still not ready. "Another 30 minutes". Same thing again. Usually it takes about 2 and a half hours to get an order that they tell me takes 45 minutes. Generally the order is one of a group of orders that they send out. So why can't they just announce to the audience that the orders are in, at a convenient time between films or something (or a reel breakdown)? I have never understood that. This kind of hassle just makes me want to go out to eat rather than order from the concession stand.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:12 am 

WolfNC17 wrote:
It's not just the prices, it's that people want different options that they can't get at the concession stand. At least that's what I'm hearing. I think most people understand that theaters make their money at the concession stand.

Precisely. No one has complained about the concession prices - the general consensus is that you can't live off concession food for 24 hours, especially if you have diet restrictions. What most people are saying is "We get that theatres make their money off their concessions. And we're fine with that. But for those of us who can't just eat at the concession stand (I can't. I have a gluten intolerance. All of the "close to real food options" that they serve involve bread of some sort.), we would be willing to pay a higher cost so that we didn't have to leave to eat real food."

Most of the people who use this option would still probably buy soda and candy and popcorn too, is my suspicion. I would.

But at some point, right now, I simply have to leave to eat something solid without bread. I don't mind paying more to the theatre, but I'd love it if I could do that without leaving. Right now, I have to leave.

The theatre isn't getting that money from me regardless. There is simply no way I *can* buy a slice of pizza instead of going down to Aladdin's (or whatever). So they're not losing money on me - I'm just not there to watch part of the marathon.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:27 am 
Site Admin

Hmmm....believe it or not, I really had no idea that the Grandview had posted someone to search bags as the event went on. That was not part of our agreement with them, so I apologize for anyone who was put off by this process.

As for the Drexel, we've discussed this exact matter with them, and they're in agreement that an expanded concession stand is a must. And that intense bag searches are not the way to go. I should know: I bring my own food every year, 'cause like many of you, 24 hours of movie theater food doesn't agree with me. I still buy things from the stand, but there has to be a happy medium. And theaters hosting Marathons should already be making a tidy profit on their concession fare no matter what. For the last few years, the Grandview had long lines at almost every intermission, so people bringing in their own items here and there should not have bankrupted them. And yes, with the coffee situation being (ahem) sub-optimal last year, not allowing patrons to bring in a cup of their own (which, again, I was not aware of) was not a good ploy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:54 am 

AEinhorn, you nailed it. That's exactly what I was trying to say. I don't want to leave; I came to experience the whole event. I still buy the concessions I am able to eat, but it really isn't feasible for me to eat in the nearby places with my dietary restrictions since I can't be sure if it's "safe" for me. With no car and living more than 5 miles away from any of the theaters, I can't just run home for a bite either. Once I get to the 'thon, I'm there for the duration. But I can't live off the small array of offerings for 24 hours without getting sick either. Not everyone is capable of living off that stuff. We're not all in our 20s, unfortunately (ah, to be young again and not have to care about things like diet and sleep!). Of course, I realize that the theater isn't really in a position to offer something that works for every dietary need either; that's why for some of us, bringing in something is the best option. And I wouldn't mind one bit paying the theater extra to do so. I'd gladly hand them the money at the door, or pay for a different type of ticket and hold onto my stub. Whatever. Like I said, I save up for this on my meager paychecks, so I can spend as much as possible and help ensure that it will be around the following year.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:00 pm 

ultiamtely it depends on who is working the concessions, but, i try to visit drive in theaters in different cities when i get the chance ( especially if they have a night where they arent playing something current ) and not only do i bring my own marijuana , but i usually buy a bag of grapefruits at the grocery store for like 4 dollars, then i take one out, and give the rest to concessions to sell. and i tell them i bought one for 2 dollars when i hand them some money.

sometimes they get mad. sometimes they think its a good idea. but bananas and oranges are the best you get usually. i like grapefruits better.

ive spent 1/3 of my life watching movies, and i hate popcorn, go figure.

(also , it might be a good idea to think of stuff you can get at a local grocery store , that you could "pledge" to purchase at a fair price , then just email your list to the drexel. theaters never seem to have pop rocks)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:18 pm 

It's been a while but I do remember many restaurant options in walking distance from the Drexel with even more if you're willing to drive. People seem to be complaining that they have to leave their seats to get food. And while we're at it, why should we have to get up from our chairs to use the restrooms? Seriously, the complaints are sounding extra ridiculous this year.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:29 pm 

MEATFETISH wrote:
It's been a while but I do remember many restaurant options in walking distance from the Drexel with even more if you're willing to drive. People seem to be complaining that they have to leave their seats to get food. And while we're at it, why should we have to get up from our chairs to use the restrooms? Seriously, the complaints are sounding extra ridiculous this year.

No, we're not complaining that we have to leave our seats. It's that we would prefer not to leave the event.

There is plenty of food nearby, absolutely. But that means you're missing a film. When the Radio Cafe was a part of the Drexel, you wouldn't have to do that. You could go and get a sandwich and a side, and bring it back to your seat.

The whole point of the marathon is the endurance of the event. Leaving for a film changes that experience - for good or for ill.

The issue about food has been a not uncommon gripe every year since the closing of the Drexel North, that only kind of died down in the years when the Radio Cafe was open and the marathon was at the Drexel. <shrug>

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:37 pm 

I'm hopeful that Joe and Bruce work something out. Not just a token guesture a real solution to the poor food selection at the CAPA's Drexel.

There is a way to stay in one steat without using the restroom. A colostomy bag and a catherter. ;-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next