The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:35 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:

Speaking of star crossed love affairs, we have one more film in the lineup for you. Today, we confirmed Park Chan-wook's brilliantly gonzo 2009 vampire epic THIRST as the final flick...in 35MM! We tried to book this as a premiere back in 2009, but to no avail. A certain Mr. Cozzolino and I saw it in L.A. four years ago, and we both highly recommend it. Check out the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj5xmmQj-lk

awesome, sounds like a great addition

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:29 am 

Joe Neff wrote:
A certain Mr. Cozzolino and I saw it in L.A. four years ago, and we both highly recommend it.

Just confirming... Joe DOES indeed speak for me on this. LOVED this film! Looking forward to seeing it on the big screen again, and with a marathon audience.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:58 am 

Excellent film. I have seen it, but only on DVD. Viewing it on the big screen should be quite an experience.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:03 am 

REALLY looking forward to next weekend. I've checked out lineups for other horror marathons throughout the country, and I have to say this year' s Columbus marathon tops anything out there I've yet come across. You all have really gone above and beyond.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:02 pm 

There are two 35mm cuts of Thirst. The original 133min and the 145min director's cut. What version did you booked?

Come on now who wouldn't stand in line to see Amityville Horror II?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:16 pm 

I saw Thirst and liked it, which are two great qualities for any addition at this point... Enjoyable watch but I can feel free to leave or sleep during it. It's gonna be hard to pick a sleep movie with this lineup!

Spoiler: show
I do remember that this movie seemed to be going to great lengths to avoid showing male genitalia, and then BOOM...3/4 of the way in, wang outta nowhere.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:49 pm 

agentstinky wrote:
I saw Thirst and liked it, which are two great qualities for any addition at this point... Enjoyable watch but I can feel free to leave or sleep during it. It's gonna be hard to pick a sleep movie with this lineup!

I do remember that this movie seemed to be going to great lengths to avoid showing male genitalia, and then BOOM...3/4 of the way in, wang outta nowhere.

Wang outta nowhere
was my favorite punk band back in the '80s.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:13 am 

IamJacksUserID wrote:
Wang outta nowhere
was my favorite punk band back in the '80s.

:lol:

Edit: Will there be an official announcement on the horrormarathon.com website, and/or will it be added to the "Films" page?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:08 pm 

I am sure there will be "wrap up" posts coming soon, but just wanted to say many, many thanks once again to the Drexel staff and the entire marathon planning crew for this year's great lineup. Due to some back problems, I had to leave before the last two features (and I hated to miss out - I especially wanted to see Q), but as always, I had a lot of fun and appreciated the opportunity to see some classic films, as well as a couple of more recent films, in a theater and with horror fans who were just as enthusiastic as I was. And great to see Argento in the hall of fame!

-Stephen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:24 pm 

scottcoz wrote:
Oh, don't get me wrong... I didn't post that link to jump on the Nic Cage sucks bandwagon! On the contrary, I agree he's a great actor... WHEN he's working with a great director. He's turned in some of the all-time great film performances.

The problem with Cage, and it's become more evident the longer his career has gotten, is that he has a tendency to turn it up to 11, ALL the time. He became a parody of himself after 10 performances like that. When he's got a director who's able to help him rein it in a bit, he can STILL put in a great performance (he was the single best thing about Kick-Ass, for example, in my opinion), but left to his own devices, I think he's going to take any performance over the top.

At least, that's my theory about Cage. Who knows, maybe most of the directors he's worked with told him, "give me More, Nic, I need MORE! No, EVEN MORE!!" :)

I think this will help explain Nicolas Cage's odd acting technique:

http://mobile.omg-facts.com/lists/407/7 ... las-Cage/3

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6