The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:13 am 

Wow, that's an incredible lineup!!

While we were checking it out a bit before 7 over at a friends house, we did notice that there's a bit of a lack of the old ultra gory or soul-crushing title, but you know what, that's okay. I've "enjoyed" (not precisely the right word, but it'll have to do) a lot of those in the past, but with how great the current lineup is, I have no problem with not having that type of uber-dark film this year.

The slightly more mainstream friendly list of recognizable titles may help ticket sales too.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:24 am 

17 hours and 7 minutes runtime for those 11 movies. That seems to be about right on target for a typical marathon length after factoring in the usual amounts of trailers, contests, breaks, etc.

I wouldn't hold your breath on too many more films being added. If a premiere does get added, one of the 11 might have to be dropped. (I'm working on the assumption that we'll have more trailers than what we got at the sci-fi marathon this year.)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:27 am 

For Jen or anyone with control over the website:

on this page
http://www.scifimarathon.com/Horror/films.html
the link to the IMDB page for The Wolf Man goes to Fright Night instead.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:19 am 

L.A. Connection wrote:
Oh, and, CABIN IN THE WOODS still sucks: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1340#p11804

I know you are half-joking most of the time, but I really despise when regular posters on this board do things just to get a rise out of people. The main Debbie Downer that EVERYONE is fed up with I am able to mostly ignore because he doesn't know any better. But LAConnection, you are better than this.

Things aren't always black and white, and movies cannot be judged soely on whether or not something "sucks" or "doesn't suck." I would argue this is one flaw in the mostly reliable metric of Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes that you and so many others are always quick to reference. When it comes to film discussion, it doesn't always boil down to something having to be defined as solely negative or positive.

Just from reading all of your posts, I'm sure you are astutely aware of this, and I agree with a lot of what you say. And I get that you don't like Cabin in the Woods, but throwing it out there that it "sucks" is not the beginning of any sort of healthy or productive discussion.

And I get it that I am biased, and maybe I would feel differently if you weren't attacking a film I feel passionately positive about. But still, it's a low blow in my opinion.

Speaking of my opinion (back on topic), this year you have booked four of what I would consider the greatest horror films of ALL TIME, all in my top twenty possibly even top ten if I thought about it. And it really sucks that circumstances dictate that I can't make it out there this year (and in this case I think I'm using the word "suck" completely correctly and appropriately :) ).

I hope this stellar lineup is executed as well as it looks on paper and I hope everyone has a great time while I sit at home crying in my ice cream.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:06 am 

It isn't too late to booked Salo 120 Days of Sodom. If you want a soul crushing horror film.

By the way how may times that LA Connection take the effort and goes to the SF and Horror marathons in the past years. Cabin in the Woods is a good film. I just watched it last night. How about this if LA can afford to live in LA CA then he can buy a ticket to the horror marathon.

I only missed one half marathon due to work. I buy my ticket for both marathons. IamJacks keep forgetting that Joe wasn't all to please with this year's SF Marathon. Are you going to call him a debbie downer? I'm not into some sort of mindless groupthink. Mindless groupthink gets the human race into all sorts of problems. There are other people on this message borad that wasn't to please with this years SF Marathon food offerings due to diet. Are you going to call thoes people deebie downers as well.

Just look at this years Horror Marathon and compare it to the SF Marathon lineup. In this year's Horror Marathon there are films that are from the 1940's, 1960's, 1970's, 1980's, 1990's, 2000's. Of this year's SF Marathon majority of the film lineup was from the 2010's. Horror have more of a diverse lineup. Plus Suspira trumps anything from this year's SF Marathon.

IamJacks remember these events cost money. People have a right as ticket holders to express displeasure if the marathon isn't up to high standards. You can't only allowed positive postings. If only having positive postings will do more harm than good. Plus this is America. People have a right to complain.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:27 am 

[quote="willcail"] I'm not into some sort of mindless groupthink. Mindless groupthink gets the human race into all sorts of problems./quote]

Says the guy who says Transformers is a great movie because Roger Ebert gave it a positive review. Contradict much?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:48 am 

I stand by my CABIN IN THE WOODS review (the film did way under-perform for such a well reviewed title; the general public gave it a thumbs down, and as noted, the well-attended screening I went to was flat at best. It was a fanboy fest). Definite dinner break material.

BUT, the rest of this lineup is terrific! It is much better than the one just announced for L.A.: http://www.americancinemathequecalendar ... -horrothon

Very fine mixture of the great, the fun, and the esoteric. Having the ability to book 35mm makes all the difference, eh?!

I wish my work schedule would allow a quick jaunt to Columbus (one of these years, and, hopefully, direct flights will return by then).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:07 pm 

I say watchable. Watchable doesn't equates to being good. That being say that I respected Roger Ebert opinion on movies. Do I agree with his reviews all the time? No. Now what you are proposing that you don't want any fourm of dissent on the SF and Horror Marathon message board, IamJacks.

Since this is a hypothetical that if there was no dissent on the message boards and a new person decides to go. Said new person didn't have a good time or didn't like parts of the marathon and was bar to voice his displeasure on the message borad. He could tell his friends or any other persons not to go. That would do more harm than good.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:44 pm 

I think criticism is fair game. I suspect Joe and Bruce to an extent appreciate some constructive feedback.

That criticism, however, becomes irritating and a source of frustration for many around these parts because you've been a bit of a broken record.

I think the issue isn't your message as much as it is your delivery. Your delivery over and over and over and....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:43 pm 

For me, Fright Night was the weak link, and I'll probably be sleeping or sneaking out for a healthy meal while that one plays. Some may consider that a form of blasphemy, but then I'm used to being the odd man out when it comes to quite a large percentage of those 1980s movies that have managed to attract a cult following (e.g., Ferris Bueller's Day Off, The Breakfast Club, The Princess Bride, Sixteen Candles, Ghostbusters, etc.)

But as far as the lineup as a whole, personally, I'm always happy when it's a nice mix between titles I hadn't seen but had wanted to (Q, Trick or Treat, Cabin in the Woods), those I haven't seen in years but wouldn't mind seeing again to reevaluate (Candyman, The Wolf Man, Phantasm [I remember I found the young boy annoying]), and those I've seen numerous times but always wanted to see in a theater with an audience (Suspiria, The Exorcist). Plus, I think Night of 1,000 Cats sounds like it'll be a lot of fun, and those who live for the riffing will be able to get it out of their system.

So from my perspective, this was quite a good selection of films, and I'll be hoping that everything remains as-is until the day of the event. (Unless, of course, the powers that be might consider bumping Fright Night for either the uncut 1973 Wicker Man or Rosemary's Baby, in their 40th and 45th anniversary years respectively - but then I'd have to find another time to eat or sleep.)

As far as a premiere title, are there options that are being considered? Just curious.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:58 pm 
Site Admin

We actually tried to book the WICKER MAN restoration, but were told that they weren't currently booking it for events of this kind. But we might be able to snag it for next year.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:25 pm 

What the general public thinks is usually worth about a dime. Which doesn't even buy you a cup of coffee any more.

It's OK if you don't like Cabin in the Woods. That's your opinion. But could you allow those of us who do like it to have fun with it? The fact that you think it "Sucks" doesn't mean you speak for everyone on Earth. Your opinion is yours, and yours alone. And since you don't come to the marathons anyway, why do you care if it is shown?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:29 pm 

Since the lineup is finally posted How about other info.

The merch including if there is going to be the coffee mug this year? I have all four and want to get an fifth one.

Consessions Will there be better consessions for people with special diets?

Will Suspira be the uncut version?

Is the Marathon going to be in theater one? Since there is going to be an late night movie is schedule on the same day.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:02 am 
Site Admin

cleazer wrote:
For Jen or anyone with control over the website:

on this page
http://www.scifimarathon.com/Horror/films.html
the link to the IMDB page for The Wolf Man goes to Fright Night instead.

D'oh! Thanks! Fixed!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:09 am 

willcail wrote:
Now what you are proposing that you don't want any fourm of dissent on the SF and Horror Marathon message board

I, for one, love it when someone has a different opinion than mine, and we can sit down and discuss it rationally, in a way that's intellectually stimulating. On the other hand, reading someone's endless rants, contradictions, and irrational gibberish... not so interesting.

willcail wrote:
Since this is a hypothetical that if there was no dissent on the message boards and a new person decides to go. Said new person didn't have a good time or didn't like parts of the marathon and was bar to voice his displeasure on the message borad. He could tell his friends or any other persons not to go. That would do more harm than good.

Or, hypothetically, a new person could find out about the marathons on the internets, and come to our friendly forums to get to know the community, and make a decision about whether or not they want to join us.... and then their eyes end up hurting, from reading stuff like the above. That would do more harm than good.

You know, it occurs to me, perhaps some of this criticism isn't fair... is English not your first language, will?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next