The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:01 am 

Oh, don't get me wrong... I didn't post that link to jump on the Nic Cage sucks bandwagon! On the contrary, I agree he's a great actor... WHEN he's working with a great director. He's turned in some of the all-time great film performances.

The problem with Cage, and it's become more evident the longer his career has gotten, is that he has a tendency to turn it up to 11, ALL the time. He became a parody of himself after 10 performances like that. When he's got a director who's able to help him rein it in a bit, he can STILL put in a great performance (he was the single best thing about Kick-Ass, for example, in my opinion), but left to his own devices, I think he's going to take any performance over the top.

At least, that's my theory about Cage. Who knows, maybe most of the directors he's worked with told him, "give me More, Nic, I need MORE! No, EVEN MORE!!" :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:45 am 

Joe Neff wrote:
Wait, did someone say VAMPIRE'S KISS? A film which both Bruce and I would LOVE to show?!?!?

Maybe not this year. But someday soon....

YES!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:10 am 

A large part of the problem with Cage now is that he owes so much money to the IRS that he will do literally anything to pay them off. Which has led to some of the more questionable decisions of recent years. But at least he has an excuse for taking those big Hollywood paychecks, whereas most big-name actors are just doing it to fill up their bank accounts... I do think people kind of expected him to crank up the volume at a certain point, and he was willing to play into that. He developed a reputation for "crazy" performances, and some directors probably cast him to do just that. "Do your wild and crazy thing!" But the younger kids, they don't know the pre-Bruckheimer days (if they even know those movies), they just know the guy who makes a lot of movies that disappear from theaters quickly and show up on Netflix every few months.

I liked him a lot in Kick-Ass also, and Herzog's Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans. He's actually gotten some good notices for his new thriller The Frozen Ground with John Cusack (which is out in limited release and VOD). He just did an indie movie with David Gordon Green that I've heard good things about. I'd like to think there's still hope for the guy. But then again, he's also doing the new Left Behind movie... :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:52 pm 

Ahh the Left Behind remake. The original "films" in my opinion were one of the funniest sci fi comedy series I've ever watched.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:50 pm 

Please tell me you're commenting on the film quality of that trilogy, and not the religious inspiration behind it..

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:01 am 

55% for film quality and 45% for the religon.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:06 pm 

Hallbeast wrote:
Please tell me you're commenting on the film quality of that trilogy, and not the religious inspiration behind it..

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't turn this forum into some stupid flame war about religion!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:56 am 

I didn't reply at all for just that reason ..I was just curious as to his thinking...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:06 am 

Wasn't sure where to post this. Figure here was as good as any place.
If you haven't seen it, it's Guillermo Del Toro's awesome Treehouse of Horror credit sequence for The Simpsons.

http://www.vulture.com/2013/10/watch-guillermo-del-toros-great-simpsons-intro.html

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:25 am 

Can anyone explain the "Before Nickelodeon..." under The Exorcist on this page? http://www.scifimarathon.com/Horror/films.html

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:48 pm 

green slime....it was a running gag on several Nickelodeon shows, beginning with You Can't Do That On Television... and in The Exorcist, green slime was, well, you know...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:43 am 

Hallbeast wrote:
green slime....it was a running gag on several Nickelodeon shows, beginning with You Can't Do That On Television... and in The Exorcist, green slime was, well, you know...

Didn't Alanis Morissette get slimed regularly on that show?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:08 am 

scottcoz wrote:
Hallbeast wrote:

yes she did...and regularly by Dave Coulier.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:56 am 

Worldsfinest wrote:
scottcoz wrote:
Hallbeast wrote:

yes she did...and regularly by Dave Coulier.

Well, you oughta know.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:20 pm 
Site Admin

Speaking of star crossed love affairs, we have one more film in the lineup for you. Today, we confirmed Park Chan-wook's brilliantly gonzo 2009 vampire epic THIRST as the final flick...in 35MM! We tried to book this as a premiere back in 2009, but to no avail. A certain Mr. Cozzolino and I saw it in L.A. four years ago, and we both highly recommend it. Check out the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj5xmmQj-lk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next