The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:20 pm 
Site Admin

Here it is: the official flier for the 5th Annual Ohio 24-Hour Horror Marathon a.k.a. SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK! For the full strength blood red version, head on over to the Drexel (today), Laughing Ogre (tomorrow) or other fine venues around town (very soon!)

Attachments:
SHOCK2013flierFront.png
SHOCK2013flierFront.png [ 3.16 MiB | Viewed 15331 times ]
SHOCK2013flierRear2.png
SHOCK2013flierRear2.png [ 5.88 MiB | Viewed 15331 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:35 pm 

Nice work!

I realize the film order is usually announced only a day or two before the marathon (all subject to change of course), but are there any early thoughts on what will play when? Maybe just a couple titles -- what will start (Wolfman? Cabin In The Woods?) and what will close (... Phantasm feels appropriate for some reason...the whole event culminating in "BOOOY").

If it's even possible to make any tentative schedule available, that information helps a lot with trying to plan out shift coverage and unfortunate necessary interruptions throughout the 24 hours. Much appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:37 pm 
Site Admin

Tough to say at this point. I would assume that WOLF MAN will play in the first half, and I'd love to be able to play EXORCIST and SUSPIRIA in that first half as well. But a lot could change between now and October 26th, including the booking of whatever the final film(s) ends up being (which can sometimes radically shift the lineup.)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:24 pm 

I feel like Cabin in the Woods is a pretty good candidate to go last.

Horror film satire may mess with the mood of any succeeding films, and usually they pick fairly well known films to end with.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:55 pm 

rotorueter wrote:
I feel like Cabin in the Woods is a pretty good candidate to go last...

Not to mention allowing folks to get a head start on getting home because of showing that stinker. :twisted:

BloodPepsi wrote:
...what will close (... Phantasm feels appropriate for some reason...the whole event culminating in "BOOOY").

But, seriously. Love the idea of PHANTASM going last. Superb idea!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:17 am 

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you're starting to remind one of willcail's behavior. Time to let it go.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:29 am 

As I stated before I went to twenty three marathons in the past twelve years. Out of the twenty three marathons I didn't like one. Percentage wise it is about .43% disaproval rate.

Now with LA Connection he doesn't go. He keep saying due to work he can't come. I skipped one half a thon due to an last minute hardware installation. I was able to pay down some of my loans. Other than that I buy a ticket and go anyway.

I like Cabin in the Woods. Its one of the rare twenty first century horror moives that I like. I don't like the majority of the twenty first century horror movies.

When I look at the flyer I'm glad that there is a wide selection of films in both formats. If a DCP needs to load Joe can show trailers in 35mm while a DCP is loading. I can't wait to hear the cats' meowing via the Drexel expensive sound system.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:20 am 

I'd love to see Suspiria get more of a first-half/prime viewing time. I know its divisive to some, but I'm a fan and looking forward to seeing it on the big screen. My fear is that it'll get slotted in the Cronenberg spot (you know what I mean, around 4-6 a.m.) where, at least for me, it's been the toughest time to stay awake.

Cabin in the Woods actually feels like a pretty good play for somewhere between 2-8 a.m. (similar to where Dead Alive was placed last year). For its fans, it's funny, lively and liable to keep you awake. For its detractors, it may be a good time to sleep.
I'm a fan, but if it were at the end of the lineup and I was really feeling run down, I'd be tempted to skip it, pride be damned. Seen it recently, widely available, seen it on the big screen -- the lure of my bed may be greater.

For me, that last movie really has to be a big lure to pull me through the night because I NEED to see it on the screen, with the crowd. Joe and Bruce haven't disappointed in the past. The only time I bailed since I've been going was for Hellraiser (which I still regret) but that was such a heavy lineup that year and I felt so beaten down, I couldn't do one more. Not worried about that this year.

Phantasm or Fright Night would be my top choices as the finale.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:35 pm 

Night of 1000 Cats was filmed usung an anamorphic lenses? Well can't wait until I can see the whole film then. I'm betting that Q or Night will be the last movie.

I hope Night of 1000 Cats will be the first movie so people can get their riffing out of the way. When I watched the "extended trailer" on YouTube I couldn't stop laughing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:14 pm 

Let me make this perfectly clear - this is a VERY GOOD LINEUP.

I only have made the CABIN IN THE WOODS comments as asides.

I have praised the lineup, the improvements in the technical specs of the event, the idea of PHANTASM as the finale and Jeff Neff's contributions.

Don't get hung up on a some needling here and there. I wish I could be there. It's a much better lineup to the one announce locally - MUCH BETTER (http://www.americancinemathequecalendar ... -horrothon)

Okay?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:48 pm 

I was referring to harping on one particular film in the lineup (for example, Safety Not Guaranteed) as if one person's opinion of one particular film in the lineup matters so much. Which it really doesn't. You've stated your opinion of Cabin in the Woods several times now. Lots of people love the film. You're in the minority. It's irrelevant. Can we move on already?

For the record, beginning a post with a crack about the film is not an "aside". It's your main subject.

If you're so positive about the lineup, then you shouldn't feel the need to spread this pointless negativity about one film that you (and you alone) don't happen to like. Enough already. We get it. I don't see anyone agreeing with you, so let's move on, shall we?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:16 pm 

If one choses to harp on a short comment or two rather than the full text then you are the one perpetuating the arguement.

But, yes, let's move on. Agreed.

Very good lineup.

Wish I could go.

PHANTASM is a good idea to go last.

The technical improvements going into this Marathon sound great.

Jeff Neff is godhead.

P.S. I never went off on SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED. It's not a bad film and I always thought it would play well at the Marathon(s) - both Boston & Ohio (and hopefully that aside won't set off your harp-o-meter)

WolfNC17 wrote:
...beginning a post with a crack about the film is not an "aside". ...It's your main subject... so let's move on, shall we?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:37 am 

L.A. Connection wrote:
It's a much better lineup to the one announce locally - MUCH BETTER (http://www.americancinemathequecalendar ... -horrothon)

Wow - that really IS a lame line-up! You'd link Los Angeles, of all places, would be able to pull together a top-notch Horror marathon.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:10 am 

That is a lame lineup. That lineup is worse than SF Marathon 2013. I can put together a better movie lineup via Netflix streaming.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:36 am 

Well, it's got "The Fly"....

That's a good movie.

Which, ya know, one out of....

Never mind. I was trying to find something nice to say. That really is a pretty bad line-up. I feel terrible about the fact that I might miss this year's marathon (because, OMG, this is an awesome line-up). But I wouldn't have any hesitation about skipping it if we had the LA line-up.